IGNORED

David Moyes thread

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Comes across as a sad, bitter man.

He's still in complete, and utter, denial about his time there.

Edited by Romey 1878

One of the things he should have done differently? Not waited until July 1 to start at United. In other words, he should have shafted Everton even more. A surprising admission to make.

I don't think it would have "shafted" us to be honest. Once the news was out before the season ended he was never going to be any part of our off season planning, so we had no interest whatever in holding on to him until his contract ended on 30th June. If he'd wanted to start earlier at United I'm sure it could've been negotiated; no brainer from our point of view, we'd have saved £250,000 odd on his last few weeks wages. Possibly the thought of losing that was the reason he decided to hang around.

I'm a firm believer if he was given 2 years to sort things out he'd have at least have had them back in the CL. By the looks of things Van Gaal is going to face similar problems.

For me it's not a managerial problem the team just isn't good enough at the back. Up front they have square pegs playing in round holes especially Mata and Rooney! Far too similar in terms of best position!

I'm a firm believer if he was given 2 years to sort things out he'd have at least have had them back in the CL. By the looks of things Van Gaal is going to face similar problems.

For me it's not a managerial problem the team just isn't good enough at the back. Up front they have square pegs playing in round holes especially Mata and Rooney! Far too similar in terms of best position!

Exactly. I think Van Gaal just realized how unmotivated, overpaid, and underwhelming that side really is after that loss.

Muelenstreen getting his 5 minutes in....

Meulensteen blasted: “He says he asked me to stay but he didn’t say what he then said after that. He said, ‘well, I would like you to stay, I know how important you have been for the club and what you have done for the club, but I am going to do it all myself’. So, it was then, 'OK, what is the reason for me to stay'?

“That has not been documented and that is why you get all these wrong, mixed messages about why I didn’t stay.

“We had two massive meetings. Yes, there was an element he would like me to stay but, on the other hand, he said, ‘everything you did, I am going to do myself’. So, after being there for five years with Alex Ferguson, being an integral part in training, planning, executing and the whole lot, suddenly you have been sidelined.”

Read more at http://talksport.com/football/exclusive-meulensteen-hits-out-moyes-over-man-united-claims-140818108337#77jOvIwiIisEA7kX.99

Got a lot to say that bloke rightly or wrongly.

It did seem extremely strange at the time, he had a very good relationship with the players. It was a monumental moment which contributed to Moyes downfall IMO. Van Persie described him as "truly one of the best coaches in the world". He has been credited for turning Ronaldo from a show pony into a goal machine.

He was replaced by Round, Neville and Lumsden...

It did seem extremely strange at the time, he had a very good relationship with the players. It was a monumental moment which contributed to Moyes downfall IMO. Van Persie described him as "truly one of the best coaches in the world". He has been credited for turning Ronaldo from a show pony into a goal machine.

He was replaced by Round, Neville and Lumsden...

He's also been credited to being an absolutely useless manager. Edited by MiguelCotto

But the fact that he was a crap manager doesn't mean he was a crap number two (back to Meulensteen). And Moyes suggesting he asked him to stay is a bit disingenuous if he also effectively told him that the job he'd been doing for five years no longer existed.

Both putting their personal slant on it obviously, we don't know the truth; just believe who you want to believe I guess :).

As above re Meulensteen being a great coach (probably) and a shite manager. If he had potential to be that good a manager Utd would have asked him to follow after Ferguson. They saw through him, so they didn't, leaving Moyes to do their dirty work for them and freeze him out, resulting in him seemingly blaming Moyes for every shit thing that's ever happened and ever will happen in his life. Doesn't Moyes know who he is?

Comes across as a sad, bitter man.

He's still in complete, and utter, denial about his time there.

I agree. He still has no idea what really went wrong and he took no steps to address those issues. Even if you gave him 10 season's and all the money in the world they wouldn't have won the league.

As above re Meulensteen being a great coach (probably) and a shite manager. If he had potential to be that good a manager Utd would have asked him to follow after Ferguson. They saw through him, so they didn't, leaving Moyes to do their dirty work for them and freeze him out, resulting in him seemingly blaming Moyes for every shit thing that's ever happened and ever will happen in his life. Doesn't Moyes know who he is?

someone who had the trust of the players and proven track record of being a coach for the most successful manager in history would surely be an asset to a manager - unless that new manager felt threatened by him and the relationship he had with the players... That is what I believe the case was.

I agree. He still has no idea what really went wrong and he took no steps to address those issues. Even if you gave him 10 season's and all the money in the world they wouldn't have won the league.

could have given him Messi, Ronaldo whoever and he would still be plundering crosses into the box and bemoaning bad luck.