IGNORED

David Moyes thread

He could head up a scouting department for Roberto. That's about it really.

He actually acquired a team through decent recruitment that should have done much better. People judged him by money spent, the reality was he had players on a top 7 salary, the fees were the bit that kidded people into thinking he was a miracle worker.

Very much over rated "football" manager.

Edited by Hafnia

I can,t understand all the bad vibes aimed at David Moyes. He kept us out of the shit for ten years. For those who remember the previous ten years he was a godsend, and was probably a big factor in stopping the club from going bust.

Ask any club outside the the "top six" if they would take him as manager, I,m sure there wouldn't be many refusals.

He could head up a scouting department for Roberto. That's about it really.

He actually acquired a team through decent recruitment that should have done much better. People judged him by money spent, the reality was he had players on a top 7 salary, the fees were the bit that kidded people into thinking he was a miracle worker.

Very much over rated "football" manager.

if you're talking about sociedad i completely agree. season before had qualified for CL or europa and were solid. Vela, Canales, Agrietxe, Illaramendi, inigo. there are so quality players on that squad, i don't think he could adapt to the style of play well sadly.

i agree bill i like moyes, no hate. i think he'll end up on his feet somewhere.

I can,t understand all the bad vibes aimed at David Moyes. He kept us out of the shit for ten years. For those who remember the previous ten years he was a godsend, and was probably a big factor in stopping the club from going bust.

Ask any club outside the the "top six" if they would take him as manager, I,m sure there wouldn't be many refusals.

Nah he can fuck off Bill. The great Alan Ball said once Everton has touched you nothing will be the same. This knobhead derided us to the press in his first pursuit of players after joining United.

This gobshite had us paying him top whack whilst talking about penknives to gun fights and top half being a great achievement for a club like everton.

Joe Royle got us out of deeper shit and delivered a trophy. He left on principle over transfers, the boy moyes moaned about transfers then signed a big juicy contract and moaned no more.

Made up.

Edited by Hafnia

http://www.espnfc.us/blog/espn-fc-united-blog/68/post/2706271/david-moyes-damaged-by-spells-at-man-united-and-real-sociedad

no way in hell he takes over at swansea if they fire monk. they will want a passing style, rodgers should go back there. celtic as mentioned in the article makes the most sense. top of the league, prestige in scotland, etc.

I think with how badly David Moyse has performed since he left Everton, single season Man Utd, sacked, single season Real Sociedad, sacked has got me thinking could we have chosen better in 2002?

I realise he kept Everton in the Premiership but the only trophy he won was the Liverpool Senior Cup 2003/5/7 although he did get us to the FA Cup final 2009 and youth cup final in 2002 but were there any other managers available who might well have achieved more at Everton?

I think with how badly David Moyse has performed since he left Everton, single season Man Utd, sacked, single season Real Sociedad, sacked has got me thinking could we have chosen better in 2002?

I realise he kept Everton in the Premiership but the only trophy he won was the Liverpool Senior Cup 2003/5/7 although he did get us to the FA Cup final 2009 and youth cup final in 2002 but were there any other managers available who might well have achieved more at Everton?

i had never even heard of the liverpool senior cup until this post, it seems like a semi-pro exhibition trophy not a real trophy, am i wrong?

i had never even heard of the liverpool senior cup until this post, it seems like a semi-pro exhibition trophy not a real trophy, am i wrong?

It's certainly not an exhibition trophy historically, it's been going since 1882 and we've won it forty-five times; but it's certainly not something the first team squad get involved in. Might have been in the past, but Moyes contribution to the wins under his watch (as has been pointed out) would've been non-existent.

Impressive bit of silverware mind!

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/53/Liverpool_Senior_Cup.jpg

For decades, Everton was British Leyland: a proud tradition and the first choice of working men. Like Leyland, though, we ran into problems. The strategy and the leadership team were all wrong. There was a worrying possibility of becoming a second-tier competitor or even going bust. The team needed someone who could apply the brake to this downturn and perform in the clutch. In stepped David Moyes, delivering on his promise to produce a Toyota Corolla: cheap, reliable, and predictable. Yes, competing against a Jag was like taking a penknife into a gunfight, but we could always puncture their tyres.

Of course, a Toyota Corolla is much better than an Austin 1300. A team like Everton, though, should aspire to greater things. After many years of believing that cheap and reliable are good enough, we craved excitement - a mention in the Power survey that's not the perennial "reliable and boring." At just the right time, the chairman of Rolls-Royce stepped in, chose retirement, and offered Moyes his crown. Of course, Davie turned out to be too small for the job and, after a generous golden handshake, decided to settle on Seat in Spain. Believing he could replicate the success of the Corolla, it soon became evident he was building a Yugo. In the meantime, Everton established their own links with Spain and began to ring in the changes.

Today, we're aspiring to be the Tesla of football - young, innovative, fresh, and determined to break the monopoly enjoyed by the heavily subsidized and well-established brands. Yes, there will be occasional bumps in the road, but that's the price of success. We're thinking long-term, and we're going to reach the top - not through unfair subsidies or by selling our soul to a foreign devil, but by changing the way the game is played. We're destined for great things, folks. :)

Edited by Cornish Steve

Should have been sacked at Everton. Given far too much time and money (wages) by the club and the fans. Given too much credit for keeping us up of you look at the results we beat teams we always did any way.

It's a shame really as he did have the potential to progress but wasted his time learning from alladyce and houlier. We played some of the best football to watch, but never 90 minutes as moyes pulled the reins once we were winning or panicked and went direct if we weren't. Ironically the type of managers our current manager could learn from.

Nah he can fuck off Bill. The great Alan Ball said once Everton has touched you nothing will be the same. This knobhead derided us to the press in his first pursuit of players after joining United.

This gobshite had us paying him top whack whilst talking about penknives to gun fights and top half being a great achievement for a club like everton.

Joe Royle got us out of deeper shit and delivered a trophy. He left on principle over transfers, the boy moyes moaned about transfers then signed a big juicy contract and moaned no more.

Made up.

Noone ever calls Joe Royle over leaving us when he spat the dummy and he left us in deep shit which wasn't fixed until Moyes came here

Noone ever calls Joe Royle over leaving us when he spat the dummy and he left us in deep shit which wasn't fixed until Moyes came here

Spat the dummy out? - he put in his resignation on principle over Tore Andre Flo who went on to be a top striker and would have been a great signing.

The man could have done a moyes and just picked up his cash and kept quiet knowing full well that a board not giving cash = less responsibility.

Joe Royle is 100 times the evertonian moyes could ever be. Royle knew what it meant to manage Everton and demanded the best.

Spat the dummy out? - he put in his resignation on principle over Tore Andre Flo who went on to be a top striker and would have been a great signing.

The man could have done a moyes and just picked up his cash and kept quiet knowing full well that a board not giving cash = less responsibility.

Joe Royle is 100 times the evertonian moyes could ever be. Royle knew what it meant to manage Everton and demanded the best.

Guess we just see it in different ways.. Doesn't get the funds to buy a player he wants so leaves!!

Still think he could have stayed

Over rated manager - he was a decent hard worker who aquired players through an extensive scouting system that he implemented who had no real tactical nouse.

Lets be honest saving a team from relegation doesn't make you a "great manager" - sometimes its just the new face that gets the players fighting for their spot. Di Canio and Sherwood are just two recent managers who accomplished an escape against the odds and went on to prove that they werent actually very good.

His greatest asset was his focus and drive - his weakness was he lacked bottle and ultimately diluted any expectations the fans had.

Moyes and our incompetent board were made for each other. Without any real cash to spend on transfers he had the unique position of aquiring cheap and pay "big" wages due to our attendances and TV money. This led to us being able to buy and retain players like Arteta, Cahill, Pienaar. Whereas the likes of Martinez at Wigan attracted low cost-low wage players and had to lose them when other teams could offer more than the £25k a week cap that he implemented at Wigan (after the likes of Heskey, Titus Bramble etc fleeced them for £40k+)

The reality was - Moyes delivered finishes where the wage expenditure placed us - give or take a position or two. It really has been overstated what he did for us, his shortfalls as a manager is what have ultimately got him the sack twice in 2 years.

Guess we just see it in different ways.. Doesn't get the funds to buy a player he wants so leaves!!

Still think he could have stayed

Depends what you class as a man who has the best interests of the club rather than his bank balance.

By resigning he cost himself a couple of million - Joe Royle accepted the Everton job without even discussing wages because he loves the club.

He left the Everton job because he identified that the chairman would not support him in signing a player for £1.2m - who incidentally signed for Chelsea for £300k eventually. I'm pretty sure the failure to land Nigel Martyn in his prime years after being sat in Park Hampers for an hour waiting for PJ had something to do with it.

Now tell me this - David Moyes who made all sorts of "support me or I leave noises" prior to signing a contract that made him the 5th highest paid manager in world football at the time - would he have done that? I don't think so, because after his £70k a week contract he towed the party line and told fans we may get the odd loan signing etc etc. He sold out - money came first for old Davie.

The Allegro wasn't as fast as the Andante.

Sorry, I have taken this off topic, but finally, I once had a company car, Austin Marina. Fortunately, I only had it for two years and then I got promoted. They gave me a Rover 2.2 TC which was more suited to my image. :D

Keeping it off topic, the Marina was truly horrible! The company I worked for from seventeen gave out Alfas; I was in line for a Sud at eighteen but I failed my driving test and then got promoted to a position that didn't come with a car before I could retake it :dry:. Stuck with motor-bikes :).

'I made a firm promise to Real Sociedad to honour my contract and it is disappointing not to be able to fulfil this commitment especially when I have turned down a number of job opportunities in recent months.'

Deary me David... like someone getting dumped who wishes they did the dumping first to save face.

Inside sources have now revealed the three job offers unwisely turned down by David Moyes.

1) Personal assistant to Mourinho, focusing on how to convince your boss all is well when your team languishes mid-table.

2) Partnership with Luis Suarez, running seminars for teens to explain why it's not a good idea to bite the hand that feeds you.

3) Consultant to aspiring entrepreneurs seeking to succeed in Spain without bothering to learn the lingo.

• 4 weeks later...