IGNORED

David Moyes thread

• 2 weeks later...

It's another knives to a gunfight quote, to dampen fans' expectations in the hope he gets worshiped like a god when he manages to keep them several points clear.

Stupid thing to say before December.

And I know that this team isn't 'Moyes' technically but that's an awful team. More akin of Villa last year. Their midfield is incredibly shite.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/37145739

Edited by Lowensda

It's another knives to a gunfight quote, to dampen fans' expectations in the hope he gets worshiped like a god when he managed to keep them several points clear.

And I know that this team isn't 'Moyes' technically but that's an awful team. More akin of Villa last year. Their midfield is incredibly shite.

He brought in shite as well.

He won't be there at the end of the season. Another failure for Davey boy coming up. He and Wenger will be able to have some good chats about being experts in failure.

Why am I not surprised?

This mans arrogance knows no boundaries. How he has the gall to come out with this already is a joke.

Ok.... lets give him the benefit of the doubt - maybe he is trying to get some coin from the chairman? - well if that's the case then its not a good relationship if he's having to play mind games after 2 matches.

Maybe he is trying to get a response out of the players? - yeah well it didn't work great at Everton did it when he made out that our squad getting top 10 is like winning the champions league. He has already more or less told the players they are usless.

It seems moyes has lived on an island without TV for the last 2-3 years the way he is going about things. Its like he has gone to a note book that he kept in his suit pocket the day he was fired from Man United and taken it from there...... news flash Davie! - the game moves on very very quickly.

Poor Pienaar will be getting pelters - Moyes bringing him into a premier league team that he will be expecting to see a high work rate from with a player who's legs have gone.... their fans will have him tagged as a poor player and he deserves better than that. Januzaj will have his confidence destroyed and Defoe will walk in January. Bet your bottom dollar on it.

I was kinda confident in a jokie way that he would dip into the market for fellaini, Jags, etc as those players made sense. What he has done going in for mcnair and the other kid with pienaar is bemusing. He has yet again made a complete mess of a transfer window - clubs will know they are desperate for players and will wack on a few million for who he wants.

He has already created an issue with Kone - we don't know whether he is a popular figure in the dressing room or not - I guess he may be after his heroics last season. Moyes just can't help himself - he went into united like a wrecking ball and he's at it again.

Why am I not surprised?

This mans arrogance knows no boundaries. How he has the gall to come out with this already is a joke.

Ok.... lets give him the benefit of the doubt - maybe he is trying to get some coin from the chairman? - well if that's the case then its not a good relationship if he's having to play mind games after 2 matches.

Maybe he is trying to get a response out of the players? - yeah well it didn't work great at Everton did it when he made out that our squad getting top 10 is like winning the champions league. He has already more or less told the players they are usless.

It seems moyes has lived on an island without TV for the last 2-3 years the way he is going about things. Its like he has gone to a note book that he kept in his suit pocket the day he was fired from Man United and taken it from there...... news flash Davie! - the game moves on very very quickly.

Poor Pienaar will be getting pelters - Moyes bringing him into a premier league team that he will be expecting to see a high work rate from with a player who's legs have gone.... their fans will have him tagged as a poor player and he deserves better than that. Januzaj will have his confidence destroyed and Defoe will walk in January. Bet your bottom dollar on it.

I was kinda confident in a jokie way that he would dip into the market for fellaini, Jags, etc as those players made sense. What he has done going in for mcnair and the other kid with pienaar is bemusing. He has yet again made a complete mess of a transfer window - clubs will know they are desperate for players and will wack on a few million for who he wants.

He has already created an issue with Kone - we don't know whether he is a popular figure in the dressing room or not - I guess he may be after his heroics last season. Moyes just can't help himself - he went into united like a wrecking ball and he's at it again.

Sunderland are always on the brink of relegation anyway. He's speaking truth.

Sunderland are always on the brink of relegation anyway. He's speaking truth.

He's taken on a team who had only lost 2 in their last 14 premier league matches conceding just 9 goals in that time.

Its just typical Davie Moyes this - he did a great job in his first 5 years with us but just stopped aspiring to be anything more than a sand bagger - he's doing it a gain now.

The second he went to the club he should have said "right who are the key players, lets secure them" - Kone... right he's on £30k a week and has been told he would get a new contract if they survived - sort it out.

I get the impression he's gone in like a school master to a team who finished on a high last season and derailed them. Looking at their forum their fans are very worried that he has come out with this and I don't blame them.

I actually think they will be ok, he will plug away and get draws here and there with some wins but he is being a bit dour as usual.

i agree. big sam is probably the most underrated english manager out there. just because his football isn't attractive doesn't make him a bad manager. i think he'll do well with england.

no, the fact he wins nothing and barely finished in the top half is why he's a crap manager.

Reading the BBC's match report, it's clear the writer felt that Sunderland lost this weekend because David Moyes insisted on playing players out of position. It does appear to be a trait, doesn't it? Also, I couldn't help but think of Haf's recent comment about him referring to his players as "boys." He said this in many of his quotes after the game. With this level of predictability, he rater lives up to his exaggerated caricature.

Reading the BBC's match report, it's clear the writer felt that Sunderland lost this weekend because David Moyes insisted on playing players out of position. It does appear to be a trait, doesn't it? Also, I couldn't help but think of Haf's recent comment about him referring to his players as "boys." He said this in many of his quotes after the game. With this level of predictability, he rater lives up to his exaggerated caricature.

He also referred to Sunderland as "they". Way to show you're committed, David.

did he really keep saying "boys" - haha. Deary me I know this fella too well and I've never met him.

There is no doubt about it that he's an alpha male - 100%, he needs to be in control and that's it. Calling players "boys" suggests to me that he feels the need to exert his seniority - now that comes from insecurity.

Just curious, Haf. Why is Moyes being an alpha male bad but you've described Koeman as being exactly that?

Edit: not looking for an argument, just confused

I'm guessing you refer to this?

he has watched him train and play and clearly does not rate him in the slightest,

Koeman has been very very clever with this. He is making a statement to the rest of the squad - the same way Mourinho and Pep have with bigger names. He is the man in charge - none of this "compete for places etc".... once you have shown him you ain't good enough there ain't no coming back.

He has that air of quiet and calm ruthlessness about him - like a mafia boss in the movies. He will unnerve a few strong personalities - deffo an alpha male this one.

It's another knives to a gunfight quote, to dampen fans' expectations in the hope he gets worshiped like a god when he manages to keep them several points clear.

Kilbane hits the nail on the head here

"People have compared Moyes' task at the Stadium of Light to the one he faced when he arrived at Everton in 2002 and quickly stabilised them, but this is a much bigger job.

When he took over the Toffees, they were a much better side than Sunderland are now, with miles more experience in their squad.

Moyes had players with character such as Duncan Ferguson, David Weir, Alan Stubbs and Lee Carsley, who were still the backbone of the team when I joined in 2003. They were vocal in the dressing room and organised us on the pitch."

Moyes gets far too much credit for taking over Walter Smith's brainfart tactics and just instilling the basics. Kilbane hasn't mentioned the gift from the youth team who also added some bite.

Edited by pete0

Just curious, Haf. Why is Moyes being an alpha male bad but you've described Koeman as being exactly that?

Edit: not looking for an argument, just confused

It's not bad thing. It's pretty essential to be an alpha male as a manager. It's equally important to show emotional intelligence in dealing with impulses.

Moyes reverts to displaying threatened behaviours quite quickly. You wouldn't wanna mess with the fucker but yeah he can be an absolute tit.

Edited by Hafnia

did he really keep saying "boys" - haha. Deary me I know this fella too well and I've never met him.

There is no doubt about it that he's an alpha male - 100%, he needs to be in control and that's it. Calling players "boys" suggests to me that he feels the need to exert his seniority - now that comes from insecurity.

"We played well, we had a great level of intensity but ran out with 10 minutes to go. We have so many young boys and are at the bare bones. The boys did try to win and score in the second half but were unlucky."