IGNORED

Ramiro Funes Mori

They aren't islands that were full of native Argentinians that we invaded though that's the main point. I hate our "empire" past as much as anyone but the Falklands have virtually zero history of being Argentinian ruled let alone occupied; they didn't even know they existed until Europeans "discovered" them. Also they're more than 400 miles off the nearest bit of South America so hardly the Isle of Wight. If the locals wanted independence I'd back them to the hilt but they don't.

I am honestly reading into it a lot now to gain a better knowledge. 

Seems the French and Spanish claim more of a right than us. Discovered by the French, claimed by us, took over by the Spanish when they realised a British colony had settled. Argentina laid claim after that, then various struggles between the British and Spanish, then back to Argentines before back to us again.... with a little others mixed in.

Strange situation for modern day, back to the days of.... I parked here first so it’s mine. I realise there’s more to it than that, and I also understand that the settlers there have their right to claim sovereignty.

Still 400 miles from Argentina... 4000 from us 😉

42 minutes ago, MikeO said:

Actually it's closer to 8000 however, if I lived 4000 miles from my mum she'd still be my mum (if she was still alive);).

Haha that’s a good point.

Interesting read this. I never realised it was such a political hotbed. Learnt a lot the last few hours.

1 minute ago, Palfy said:

On the basis of the argument that the Falklands are closer to Argentina so they should have sovereignty, does that mean the Chanel Islands should belong to France. 

Not saying that mate. I was honestly trying to learn a bit myself. 

Reading back it seems it was first discovered by a Frenchman in the 15th century, two century’s before it was claimed by the British and also after the Pope had split all of the Europeans between Spain and Portugal by the his god given right (Borgias).

Its interesting stuff, much more interesting than watching our team at the moment! 

Just now, Shukes said:

Not saying that mate. I was honestly trying to learn a bit myself. 

Reading back it seems it was first discovered by a Frenchman in the 15th century, two century’s before it was claimed by the British and also after the Pope had split all of the Europeans between Spain and Portugal by the his god given right (Borgias).

Its interesting stuff, much more interesting than watching our team at the moment! 

Sounds like you’re having a great time Shukes never looked into it myself but interesting what you’ve come up with. 

Still when you look at the Channel Islands it does make you wonder why the French haven’t kicked off. 

On 4/3/2018 at 20:54, markjazzbassist said:

@MikeO has corrected me on this before, they are in the history of the world the most victorious military.  i get that it's a common joke (even here in america) they surrender a lot, but the facts are the facts.

Depends on what you call victory, lost the Napoleonic wars, defeated by Germany prior to WW1 when they lost Alsase and Lorrain to Germany, then lost allot of territory and came close to losing Paris in WW1 (their army actually went on strike!). Surrendered in WW2, lost against Ho Chi Min for control of Vietnam.

Also the British kicked them out of India and the US, although they got their own back by helping America in the war of Independence.

Why cant we all just get along?

Anyway I have no problem with what Mori tweeted, it is a common opinion in Argentina and he is entitled to express it. I don't agree with it but defend his right to say it.

4 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

i thought you guys had free speech in england, can't he say whatever he wants?  who cares?

Of course he can.... just like he can exercise the right to not seek employment here.

It's hypocritical... he's not the first. James McLean and his refusal to wear the poppy in a country who - if men and women never paid the ultimate sacrifice in defending it from hitler would not be paying £ into his bank account. 

Sure he had his own reasons but if those reasons were so important then why is he earning a living here? 

On 05/04/2018 at 21:14, London Blue said:

Depends on what you call victory, lost the Napoleonic wars, defeated by Germany prior to WW1 when they lost Alsase and Lorrain to Germany, then lost allot of territory and came close to losing Paris in WW1 (their army actually went on strike!). Surrendered in WW2, lost against Ho Chi Min for control of Vietnam.

Also the British kicked them out of India and the US, although they got their own back by helping America in the war of Independence.

Why cant we all just get along?

Anyway I have no problem with what Mori tweeted, it is a common opinion in Argentina and he is entitled to express it. I don't agree with it but defend his right to say it.

French and Germans good at winning battles. Britain/England good at winning wars. Thats because the Brits worked out that war is above all an economic activity... For 800 years the Brits got other people to fight its land battles whenever possible and used the Navy to smash or more usually suffocate opposition countries over long periods, sometimes decades. We only stopped doing that in world war 1, built massive armies, started trying to win battles... Hey presto end of empire.  Watch some of Andrew Lambert's lectures. Brilliant military historian.

18 minutes ago, badaids said:

French and Germans good at winning battles. Britain/England good at winning wars. Thats because the Brits worked out that war is above all an economic activity... For 800 years the Brits got other people to fight its land battles whenever possible and used the Navy to smash or more usually suffocate opposition countries over long periods, sometimes decades. .

Agree with this, but I would say from the 16th century Elizabethan rule onwards.

19 minutes ago, badaids said:

We only stopped doing that in world war 1, built massive armies, started trying to win battles... Hey presto end of empire.  Watch some of Andrew Lambert's lectures. Brilliant military historian.

Disagree, in that American Civil War and WW1 were the start of modern warfare. Wars which demanded the mobilization of massive army's and resources to win the war.

The break up of the Empire was for many reasons, but the post war Labour Government was committed to a policy of self rule for countries. There was allot of pressure on the UK government to abandon colonial rule after the war by America.

French and Germans good at winning battles. Britain/England good at winning wars. Thats because the Brits worked out that war is above all an economic activity... For 800 years the Brits got other people to fight its land battles whenever possible and used the Navy to smash or more usually suffocate opposition countries over long periods, sometimes decades. We only stopped doing that in world war 1, built massive armies, started trying to win battles... Hey presto end of empire.  Watch some of Andrew Lambert's lectures. Brilliant military historian.

Totally agree, when the Senior Service were in charge we ruled the world but then we started relying on the crab fats and the pongo,s and it all went to rat shit !

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...