IGNORED

Bernard

6 minutes ago, Zoo 2.0 said:

Dissapointing how quiet it has been on the striker front thus far, was hoping that we'd get a sniff of Malik or someone of that mould. I suppose there is a long way to go from now until the deadline and there could be players who are in negotiations with us over the phone that nobody knows about. 

Happy that we're being linked with goalkeepers though, it's that then striker for me in order of importance. 

It'll put a bit of a dampener on things for me if we don't sign a striker.

Just now, Matt said:

Gordon, Siggy, Gomes and Iwobi as backup then I guess? Niels maybe as a LW option, even Digne if we went to 3 at the back with Godfrey coming in? I know, I know, it's not a pretty sight, but there are still options.

There are but I really feel we've got a big opportunity this season now.

1 minute ago, SpartyBlue said:

I’ve said it elsewhere but Richarlison is our 2nd striker. Wouldn’t surprise me if we didn’t do anything until January rather than panic buy and end up with another Sandro/Tosun/Niasse. Keep Simms around the first team until then as insurance. 

Richarlison plays in the Starting XI, so he's not a second striker. If he's injured we only have one striker (DCL), plus his natural position is out on the wing, not as the main focal point up top. 

Simms hasn't played a league game, people are saying his name purely because of the fantasy that he will be a golden boy brought through the Academy - in the real world, he's totally unproven. 

Just now, Romey 1878 said:

There are but I really feel we've got a big opportunity this season now.

We do, especially with the other supposed contenders dropping early points. But I don't want panic buying upfront because of potential injuries and a couple of non-starters being moved on. If the window ends now with Walcott and Bernard gone, we've still got a much improved and balanced squad to rotate with until January

Just now, Zoo 2.0 said:

Richarlison plays in the Starting XI, so he's not a second striker. If he's injured we only have one striker (DCL), plus his natural position is out on the wing, not as the main focal point up top. 

Simms hasn't played a league game, people are saying his name purely because of the fantasy that he will be a golden boy brought through the Academy - in the real world, he's totally unproven. 

Richarlison is absolutely capable of being our second striker and he prefers to play through the middle more than as a traditional wing. In the event DCL is hurt it would be Richie up top and Iwobi/Gordon on the left. It’s not ideal I guess  but on short time I’d rather do that then lock up the position with someone we bought in desperation. It’s not all that long until January. 

1 minute ago, Matt said:

We do, especially with the other supposed contenders dropping early points. But I don't want panic buying upfront because of potential injuries and a couple of non-starters being moved on. If the window ends now with Walcott and Bernard gone, we've still got a much improved and balanced squad to rotate with until January

It shouldn't be a panic buy, we chose to let Kean go and should have someone lined up. Otherwise we shouldn't have allowed him to go. Hence it'll put a dampener on it for me if we do fuck all after letting him go - short-sighted and disappointing when we've been spot on for the rest of the window.

1 minute ago, Romey 1878 said:

It shouldn't be a panic buy, we chose to let Kean go and should have someone lined up. Otherwise we shouldn't have allowed him to go. Hence it'll put a dampener on it for me if we do fuck all after letting him go - short-sighted and disappointing when we've been spot on for the rest of the window.

Unless Cenk is the back up until the January window?

With Kean and Walcott of this seasons books, I am pretty sure Bernard isn't going to go at the 11th hour without a surprise Zaha-esque replacement winger or striker coming in. 

I am sure it they can get something across the line with the right player they will. Don't want rubbish just to make up the numbers.

Remember last year big money Iwobi signing just came from nowhere - So anything can happen of TDD. Brands doesn't mind bidding his time in the market. 

2 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

can't see replacing Moise Kean being the difference between success and failure this season. He didn't want to be here.

1 minute ago, RuffRob said:

With Kean and Walcott of this seasons books, I am pretty sure Bernard isn't going to go at the 11th hour without a surprise Zaha-esque replacement winger or striker coming in. 

I am sure it they can get something across the line with the right player they will. Don't want rubbish just to make up the numbers.

Remember last year big money Iwobi signing just came from nowhere - So anything can happen of TDD. Brands doesn't mind bidding his time in the market. 

Our mistake in the past has been to buy someone just to buy someone, particularly up top. We are in a far stronger position now. I think not buying someone unless it’s right for us is a sign of maturity and shows the confidence of the club. 

Just now, Romey 1878 said:

Nevermind then, I'll no longer be disappointed if we don't sign a striker and have to cross our fingers.

Less than 3 months until the next window. Can take some solace in that if we don’t do anything today. I will certainly be dissapointed if we don’t have striker plans in place for January barring some sort of Tosun revolution or deciding Simms is ready for a huge step up. 

Nevermind then, I'll no longer be disappointed if we don't sign a striker and have to cross our fingers.

Maybe didn't quite say what I meant in the previous post

If we don't manage to get another striker, I meant simply keeping hold of a disgruntled Kean won't be the difference between success and failure this season.

I'll be a little disappointed if we don't get another striker in, as I hope 'twist' and go for it a little more given the momentum. If it wasn't for FFP rules I am sure we would bring somebody in.  

1 minute ago, SpartyBlue said:

Less than 3 months until the next window. Can take some solace in that if we don’t do anything today. I will certainly be dissapointed if we don’t have striker plans in place for January barring some sort of Tosun revolution or deciding Simms is ready for a huge step up. 

I just feel that we should push the boat out a bit now and see where it takes us. There's a big carrot dangling there for us at the moment and I don't want to miss out. 

I'm just being greedy and hopeful really.

I just feel that we should push the boat out a bit now and see where it takes us. There's a big carrot dangling there for us at the moment and I don't want to miss out. 

I'm just being greedy and hopeful really.

Fully agree, strike while the iron hot, but wondering if we might be  a little hamstrung buy FFP (given our spending in the last 5 years) 

It will just be our luck, we get a top 4 finish then by get f*cked over because of FFP rules and given a European ban. While other teams we are trying to compete against spend money like its going out of fashion!!!

4 minutes ago, RuffRob said:

Fully agree, strike while the iron hot, but wondering if we might be  a little hamstrung buy FFP (given our spending in the last 5 years) 

It will just be our luck, we get a top 4 finish then by get f*cked over because of FFP rules and given a European ban. While other teams we are trying to compete against spend money like its going out of fashion!!!

It is being eased for the next 2 (?) years so this could be the perfect time tbh.

2 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

It is being eased for the next 2 (?) years so this could be the perfect time tbh.

It is definitely a buyers market, and maybe bend the rules or relax them a little (just blame COVID!!)

I wouldn't be surprised to see us at least have a go for a cut price Zaha. Palace priced him out of a move last year, and I think they might now 'owe' him a transfer. If we are the only bidders and he want to really push them to get this move - would be very good timing - the kind that was worth a years wait. 

This might hinge on Bernard going off the wage bill. Zaha is definitely more Premiership suited and a bigger goal scoring threat than Bernard. Zaha is also a player that would come in to the squad now a would still make a notable and positive difference. Could be the difference between top 4 and top 6. If got top 4 - that would pay for his transfer. 

Like you said - a time to be bold!!

1 hour ago, Romey 1878 said:

What was he doing though? Apart from taking up wages?