IGNORED

Bernard

6 hours ago, Bailey said:

He is just one of those players that goes hot and cold from game to game. I think he has more positives than negatives though.

Creative players are more prone to be inconsistent, like many in the squad i want he can do in Carlos team after a full pre-season.

1 hour ago, London Blue said:

Creative players are more prone to be inconsistent, like many in the squad i want he can do in Carlos team after a full pre-season.

True, a lot of it depends on how much of the ball he sees but even so he is anot experienced player. I don't think a pre-season is going to change much.

1 hour ago, Palfy said:

Personally I think his biggest handicap to the PL is his size, I fear he is always going struggle with being bullied off the ball. 

I agree. He is very slight. He struggles playing inside under pressure because he gets leaned on and goes down or just shrugged off. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I know we got him on a free and I’m guessing he got a signing on fee, but a  120k a week contract for not even a bang average player, how on earth do we off load him because I can’t see him having much game time next season, and besides us who would be willing to pay him half of that a week. 
A very poor piece of business all round, wouldn’t be here if Carlo was here at the time he would have stopped that dead in it’s tracks. 

3 hours ago, Palfy said:

I know we got him on a free and I’m guessing he got a signing on fee, but a  120k a week contract for not even a bang average player, how on earth do we off load him because I can’t see him having much game time next season, and besides us who would be willing to pay him half of that a week. 
A very poor piece of business all round, wouldn’t be here if Carlo was here at the time he would have stopped that dead in it’s tracks. 

A talented player who could be sold on for a profit/break even if he doesn’t fulfill his potential 

5 minutes ago, StevO said:

There’s still only Bernard and Gordon who can play on the left for us, if Richarlison stays up front. 
No issue with Bernard at all, he’s put in some really good performances at home, struggles away (but our whole bloody team do), just too inconsistent. Most wide players are though. 

I thought he did better away than at home. But there’s been signs of the Baines/Pienaar understanding with him and Digne. Just needs a consistent run in my opinion 

I know Carlo will want to get rid of a lot of deadwood, but he will also want to see what he can do with certain players and I'm sure Bernard is one of them. He's skillfull and energetic, and works hard when tracking back. The most concerning thing I've found with him is his fitness, only managing to complete a hand full of 90 minutes in the league this season is god awful - and it was the same last. To that he doesn't seem to make a good enough impact off the bench.

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, markjazzbassist said:

remember he came out and said he had struggled with some mental issues, games like yesterday hopefully will help him restore confidence and get back to being his best self.

He looked really happy, and in good spirits like the rest of the team. Long may it continue !!

39 minutes ago, Bailey said:

It will be interesting to see how he would do in this role against a better side. He just buzzes around finding space which he needs with his size. If he was under pressure against better teams would he just turnover the ball? 

West Ham would be a decent time to find out.

I think playing with James, Gomes and or Doucoure means he is not the main creative impetus for us, less pressure and means he can play his natural game more. Plus he will have better quality players around him. I think he would be a major asset for us in the league, or any game for that matter.  

On 24/09/2020 at 21:27, London Blue said:

I think playing with James, Gomes and or Doucoure means he is not the main creative impetus for us, less pressure and means he can play his natural game more. Plus he will have better quality players around him. I think he would be a major asset for us in the league, or any game for that matter.  

Its not so much offensively I would worry, its about whether he would have enough about him defensively and also to keep hold of the ball under pressure. He is fine when he can find space or 'seperation' but it would be how he gets on under real pressure, like the type of pressure Palace would have put on him today.

4 hours ago, Bailey said:

Its not so much offensively I would worry, its about whether he would have enough about him defensively and also to keep hold of the ball under pressure. He is fine when he can find space or 'seperation' but it would be how he gets on under real pressure, like the type of pressure Palace would have put on him today.

Seems like this is the biggest difference between the Premier League and most other top leagues, time on the ball. You put Bernard in a league where he has the room to operate and he’s an amazing footballer. In England where the game is fast and physical and there is a lot of pressing you can see where he lacks sometimes. Still a good player, mind you, but there is a reason he’s not starting all the time.

• 2 weeks later...
Just now, Romey 1878 said:

TalkSport, so 99% sure it's bullshit :lol: 

I do hope we're after a winger regardless. A striker is the important one though for me.

Dissapointing how quiet it has been on the striker front thus far, was hoping that we'd get a sniff of Malik or someone of that mould. I suppose there is a long way to go from now until the deadline and there could be players who are in negotiations with us over the phone that nobody knows about. 

Happy that we're being linked with goalkeepers though, it's that then striker for me in order of importance. 

1 minute ago, Romey 1878 said:

TalkSport, so 99% sure it's bullshit :lol: 

I do hope we're after a winger regardless. A striker is the important one though for me.

Talkshit.....

He looks so much better this season and is part of the squad, why would Carlo let him go? 

Can't see us getting rid of him, and Theo, which heaves us short of attacking midfielders who can play out wide. Who would we get in who is better on such short notice?

Nobody.

3 minutes ago, Zoo 2.0 said:

Dissapointing how quiet it has been on the striker front thus far, was hoping that we'd get a sniff of Malik or someone of that mould. I suppose there is a long way to go from now until the deadline and there could be players who are in negotiations with us over the phone that nobody knows about. 

Happy that we're being linked with goalkeepers though, it's that then striker for me in order of importance. 

I’ve said it elsewhere but Richarlison is our 2nd striker. Wouldn’t surprise me if we didn’t do anything until January rather than panic buy and end up with another Sandro/Tosun/Niasse. Keep Simms around the first team until then as insurance. 

13 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

Talk of him going to Roma.

If that happens, as well as Walcott, surely we've got to bring a winger in?

Gordon, Siggy, Gomes and Iwobi as backup then I guess? Niels maybe as a LW option, even Digne if we went to 3 at the back with Godfrey coming in? I know, I know, it's not a pretty sight, but there are still options.