IGNORED

Bernard

54 minutes ago, badaids said:

He was excellent yesterday. He needs to see more of the ball further up the field - would a free role suit him? I still wish he’d drive on more at the defence, he’s far too willing to check his runs or get stood up. It wouldn’t matter if he lost the ball as he does that often anyway, better to do it further up the field with the defence shitting themselves.  Also, he still seems very short on puff. What a player though!

I didn't see any of it yesterday but I thought he was excellent for an hour v Burnley, then have been disappointed not to see more of him since. He seems to have found his mojo playing in Ancellotti's system which gives him the freedom to drift inside, but is fitness a concern (and I don't just mean injuries)? I hope we can get him up to speed because it also frees Richarlison to play up top with DCL, which looks easily our best attacking option. 

17 minutes ago, nogs said:

I didn't see any of it yesterday but I thought he was excellent for an hour v Burnley, then have been disappointed not to see more of him since. He seems to have found his mojo playing in Ancellotti's system which gives him the freedom to drift inside, but is fitness a concern (and I don't just mean injuries)? I hope we can get him up to speed because it also frees Richarlison to play up top with DCL, which looks easily our best attacking option. 

He was good yesterday, but he made the wrong choice of pass or ball on a few occasions, plus he doesn’t shoot enough, there were a number of times yesterday when I was screaming at him to shoot, but he didn’t, he seems a bit short on shooting confidence. Add his lack of ability to play 90 mins and there’s still work to do, but when he’s on it, he’s a delight to watch.

4 hours ago, JimmytheJimster said:

Should definitely score more, won't even mind him if he took shots on and missed but he doesn't, it's like getting a shot off is his last resort and he will always look for a passing option even if it's more difficult.

That’s true, but the amount of times he’ll run at a defender, then rather than try and beat them, just stand up and wait for the play to catch up... it’s infuriating...  because often he’ll then make a poor pass or let the momentum ebb away. It’s like he suddenly loses all his confidence. I’d love to see him just try and beat the man, many times he’ll fail of course but he’ll skin them often too and the play will open up in a dangerous area. Defenders hate it when tricky bastards run at them.

3 minutes ago, MikeO said:

Was he subbed because he was injured? I thought it was because he was crap.

I was only listening to it on the radio but there was no mention of an injury. That said has he ever completed 90 mins for us? His conditioning seems very poor, even when he plays well we only get 45 mins out of him. 

29 minutes ago, MikeO said:

Was he subbed because he was injured? I thought it was because he was crap.

24 minutes ago, nogs said:

I was only listening to it on the radio but there was no mention of an injury. That said has he ever completed 90 mins for us? His conditioning seems very poor, even when he plays well we only get 45 mins out of him. 

i thought he was fine, no worse than others, but yes he does seem to get winded very fast.

• 2 months later...

Just read a report that he is possibly going to Italy in the summer, it would appear he is not happy here, and Ancelotti isn’t trying to persuade him otherwise he’s trying to help find him a club,. Apparently Roma have been mentioned. 

57 minutes ago, Palfy said:

Just read a report that he is possibly going to Italy in the summer, it would appear he is not happy here, and Ancelotti isn’t trying to persuade him otherwise he’s trying to help find him a club,. Apparently Roma have been mentioned. 

Already dismissed the rumours according to The Echo:

Everton winger Bernard has dismissed reports claiming he could move to Roma this summer.

Reports have emerged over the last few days claiming that the Blues were in talks with the Italian side over a transfer in the upcoming window.

But the 27-year-old has responded to the rumours in a bid to quash talk he could leave Goodison.

“This is a lie,” the Brazilian international wrote on Instagram.

10 minutes ago, Matt said:

Already dismissed the rumours according to The Echo:

Everton winger Bernard has dismissed reports claiming he could move to Roma this summer.

Reports have emerged over the last few days claiming that the Blues were in talks with the Italian side over a transfer in the upcoming window.

But the 27-year-old has responded to the rumours in a bid to quash talk he could leave Goodison.

“This is a lie,” the Brazilian international wrote on Instagram.

That’s good news. 

I’m in two minds about this.

1: love watching him at a match. One of the most entertaining players we have had for a very long time. Feet like a magician. 

2: He’s just not very effective and doesn’t affect a match enough.

I think he is very much a confidence player. 
min the middle third of the pitch he reminds me off Messi, beautiful touch, turns on a sixpence.

As soon as he hits the last third he turns into Stuart Barlow... the original jigsaw!

He just needs an actual run of 90 mins for 8-10 games to decide if he’s the player we all know he can be or not. Seems to be lacking stamina for a full game which is why he gets pulled; works he ass a off for 60 mins then starts to dip. Also doesn’t look as good when he’s not partnered with Digne, and the reverse is true too. 

I’d be gutted if we let him go this summer. If he’s still not made it by next summer then sell, but not now. 

• 2 months later...

I don’t get it. A kid gets a start over him at the derby and his next start where you would expect him to go out all to prove the manager wrong he just doesn’t really do much.  We might as well bring back Kevin mirallas because it seems Bernard is the same thing (minus the attitude issues).  Inconsistent and not able to take control of a game.  He drifts in and out.

1 hour ago, markjazzbassist said:

I don’t get it. A kid gets a start over him at the derby and his next start where you would expect him to go out all to prove the manager wrong he just doesn’t really do much.  We might as well bring back Kevin mirallas because it seems Bernard is the same thing (minus the attitude issues).  Inconsistent and not able to take control of a game.  He drifts in and out.

Give him time Mark. I thought he was promising when he drifted inside and got between the lines of the defenders. He needs to up his chance creation but I saw good signs of him linking up with Digne again. 

Bernard drifting in with 2 strikers ahead and Digne out wide has potential to be very very dangerous. 

42 minutes ago, Btay said:

Give him time Mark. I thought he was promising when he drifted inside and got between the lines of the defenders. He needs to up his chance creation but I saw good signs of him linking up with Digne again. 

Bernard drifting in with 2 strikers ahead and Digne out wide has potential to be very very dangerous. 

i've been one of his biggest cheerleaders since we signed the guy, i want nothing more than him to tear up and down that pitch bossing it.  i'm worried my eternal optimism has clouded my judgement.  i hope i'm wrong.