IGNORED

Bernard

He is a strange one as he does 75% right, and then fucks up the 25% that you would expect a young lad to yet he is an experienced player. 

I actually thought we saw a lot more from him yesterday than previous games but even so he still needs to sharpen up.

It wasnt just him though, all of the front 4 were guilty of giving the ball away and making bad decisions, especially first half.

I wasn't annoyed with him any more than I was with our other attacking players yesterday. He had a frustrating day in that he did the first bits right but then would fuck up the final pass, or not shoot when he should, or vice versa (as Bailey said). But that was our attacking play for a lot of the game yesterday, I wouldn't single him out for it.

Again, like Bailey, I thought he showed more yesterday than he has in the past couple of games. He doesn't run at players? Bullshit, I saw him run at players yesterday and it gets me excited because he shows great speed and control of the football when he does it.

I don't know if it's that is confidence is low at the moment or that he's still rusty (or a combination of the two), but I have faith that final ball/decision will come.

11 minutes ago, sibdane said:

Gylfi wasn't too great for us last season but has been arguably our best player this season, and he had more of a pre-season than Bernard did. 

It's way too soon to start being harsh on Bernard.  

Agreed and Gylfi was getting dropped on a regular basis, sometimes that's the best approach when a player is going through a bad patch, to keep putting them on when they are struggling is not going to do there confidence any good, dropping them is sometimes the best remedy for inconsistency.

And that's not giving up on them far from it it's given them some space to sort themselves out take stock and go again with a different mind set, because it's not ability he lacks it's more believe at the moment for me.

3 hours ago, Palfy said:

Agreed and Gylfi was getting dropped on a regular basis, sometimes that's the best approach when a player is going through a bad patch, to keep putting them on when they are struggling is not going to do there confidence any good, dropping them is sometimes the best remedy for inconsistency.

And that's not giving up on them far from it it's given them some space to sort themselves out take stock and go again with a different mind set, because it's not ability he lacks it's more believe at the moment for me.

To get his sharpness and his fitness back he needs to get as many minutes in to him as possible . He isn’t going to get up to speed sitting on the bench

3 hours ago, Palfy said:

I don't think it is his sharpness and fitness that's the problem it's his lack of belief and confidence for me.

He keeps showing for the ball, trying to get on it and make things happen. I don’t think you do that if you have a lack of self belief.

Thing is, he knows he hasn’t been firing just yet, there’s definitely a lot more the come from him and when we get him firing we are going to be a serious, serious team.

1 hour ago, Btay said:

He keeps showing for the ball, trying to get on it and make things happen. I don’t think you do that if you have a lack of self belief.

Thing is, he knows he hasn’t been firing just yet, there’s definitely a lot more the come from him and when we get him firing we are going to be a serious, serious team.

Agree 100%.

3 hours ago, aaron said:

You can see there is a great player there, I honestly think he isn'ttt 100% fit yet hence why he has yet to complete a game. Once he gets his first goal his confidence will grow and we'll see an even better player.

I agree.

This is why I think it’s a head thing. There was a ball yesterday that he received in the centre of the pitch, without looking, and with all the time in the world... he played the ball out to the left wing.... to himself... or where he would have been.... but... he wasn’t there.

He needs to relax and slow down a bit.

2 hours ago, Shukes said:

I agree.

This is why I think it’s a head thing. There was a ball yesterday that he received in the centre of the pitch, without looking, and with all the time in the world... he played the ball out to the left wing.... to himself... or where he would have been.... but... he wasn’t there.

He needs to relax and slow down a bit.

Yeah I know the exact moment you are referring too, the language barrier will be a problem at the moment too but with time we will have a great player on our hands, he will be more of an inside forward in time I think.

On 25/11/2018 at 19:33, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

I know it’s the Everton way to find a whipping boy but FFS give the lad a chance. As Pad says he was out for a long time and he is just bedding in, give him time

I think he gives us balance and he is  contributing already. Brilliant dribble to the byline and cross for Richarlisons goal at Leicester . Good run off the ball to take the defender away then good one two with Sigurdsson for Richarlison goal at home to Brighton prove he can beat his man and that he doesn’t just play it back

I dont want to brandish him with a whipping boy tag and I can see the qualities he has.  He may well come good and he may ust need some time out the team now and a few sub appearances to get some confidence back. However, my point is that we all went a bit OTT on how good he was after the Leicester game and in 10 appearances he has not contributed much (the above two examples is not much in a ten game span of a team playing well).  He's been no better than Walcott, who has become the whipping boy. The time out thing doesnt wash much with me either. Just look at Gomes - hardly played for a year then a bad hamstring injury and he just takes it all in his stride. He's a top quality player who can excel in all conditions (maybe Barca aside!). I just feel that with Bernard, he's going to be a 1 good game in 5 for us. I hope Im wrong, I just think when you are that small, you need to be exceptional. I dont think he is...but time will tell.

On 25/11/2018 at 19:45, Btay said:

Some players adapt quickly to a new league; others just take time. All we need is a little patience. :) I'd really like to see Bernard and Lookman play against Liverpool, because their trickiness could unlock Liverpool's defence.

It will be very interesting to see how he copes up against Trent Alexander who's game is very much about getting forward down the line, I hope we see Bernard tying him down in his own half and doesn't just let him go and give Digne the problem of trying to cover one of the front 3 and the full back.

He needs to give us a minimum 7/10 performance against the shite if he turns up and gives us is usual 5 or 6 which we have witnessed in his last 4-5 games we will struggle and that goes for Walcott as well although Walcott does put his fair share of defensive work in.

2 hours ago, Palfy said:

It will be very interesting to see how he copes up against Trent Alexander who's game is very much about getting forward down the line, I hope we see Bernard tying him down in his own half and doesn't just let him go and give Digne the problem of trying to cover one of the front 3 and the full back.

He needs to give us a minimum 7/10 performance against the shite if he turns up and gives us is usual 5 or 6 which we have witnessed in his last 4-5 games we will struggle and that goes for Walcott as well although Walcott does put his fair share of defensive work in.

5 or 6 is probably right but in each of those games hes come up with 2 or 3 moments of brilliance which is why he deserves to start. He could easily have 3 or 4 assists this season and not 1 if those chances were taken. 

9 minutes ago, Bailey said:

I thought he had his best game for us today. 

He still messed up some simple attacking moves but he showed his class throughout both in attack and defence.

His ability to bring the ball out of the air under pressure is class too.

I thought also he had his best game after the first five minutes when he realised he was responsible for tracking the full back back which he didn't do in their first few attacks down their right.

I thought the best part of his game today was what he did of the ball, and in possession of the ball for me he was slightly below average.