IGNORED

Bernard

2 hours ago, Paddock said:

He is on another level Haf- he’ll be used to the league next year, fitter stronger and wiser. Different player I know but he reminds me of Beardsley- strange comparison but he really does.

I get that completely. Beardsley was such a terror for defenders... even when they had the ball. Never have defenders a second peace, and when he had the ball.....

And that flick!

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, Finn balor said:

Love him. Him and Digne are going to get better and better 

His pairing with Digne is the only negative about wanting to move him centrally. Big options on the flanks next year if Onyekuru can maintain his levels in the prem.

11 hours ago, StevO said:

I really think people are underestimating what Gylfi has brought to the team. 

I love Gylfi but I just don’t think he’s hitting his levels in general play. He’s scored goals but if he doesn’t score just feel like we are lacking a bit.

6 hours ago, Btay said:

I love Gylfi but I just don’t think he’s hitting his levels in general play. He’s scored goals but if he doesn’t score just feel like we are lacking a bit.

Scores and assists. That’s all I want from my attacking central midfielder and he does it. 

3 hours ago, Matt said:

Scores and assists. That’s all I want from my attacking central midfielder and he does it. 

Yeah, I think he’s class on the ball, we just need to get him on it more. Looking through Bernard’s stats for all years he’s played he’s never been a prolific scorer or even with assists. 

6 hours ago, Finn balor said:

If you recoup the £40 million we spent on Gilfi would you do it?  Could buy you a younger lesser known player? 

No, every transfer is a gamble. Why sell a £40m player to buy a £40m player?

There are areas of the team that need work more than Gylfi’s position. Yeah, I’d like someone in that position scoring more and assisting more, but I’d much rather we find a striker who puts the ball away on a regular basis. 

17 hours ago, Btay said:

Not think the fact he covers more ground than most also contributes to the team as a whole? He’s easily been one of our best players in the last two years, there are others in more worried about than him. 

3 hours ago, StevO said:

Not think the fact he covers more ground than most also contributes to the team as a whole? He’s easily been one of our best players in the last two years, there are others in more worried about than him. 

It’s just a tough one to explain. His work ethic is great but his lack of pace doesn’t help him on closing down. We have to play him because he’s our go to, it just limits our style of play I guess if that makes sense. Like I said, I love Gylfi - absolute model pro I just feel that in the games he doesn’t score he isn’t overly effective. He needs to own the ball, get on it and show his quality more in my opinion

2 hours ago, hafnia said:

Not sure why gylfi gets the stick he does.  Hasn't been amazing but certainly not disappointing.  Had the odd bad day where he can't get into the match but remains a huge goal threat. Quality player

And we would be a few points down, he has scored some important goals for us this season.

2 hours ago, Wiggytop said:

And we would be a few points down, he has scored some important goals for us this season.

5 hours ago, hafnia said:

Not sure why gylfi gets the stick he does.  Hasn't been amazing but certainly not disappointing.  Had the odd bad day where he can't get into the match but remains a huge goal threat. Quality player

To summarise Btay's post because he doesn't fit the system and is anonymous if he doesn't score. 

Add to that his job is to assist and he doesn't create enough. Partly because he only averages 27 passes a game so he's not involved enough. 

Only goal I can think of that made the difference was against Leicester, great turn and banged the ball into the net. He doesn't take charge enough. 

On 19/04/2019 at 11:53, Btay said:

Yeah, I think he’s class on the ball, we just need to get him on it more. Looking through Bernard’s stats for all years he’s played he’s never been a prolific scorer or even with assists. 

Pienaar never was really, but he was essential at building up the attack, hence the comparison 

6 hours ago, Matt said:

Pienaar never was really, but he was essential at building up the attack, hence the comparison 

Yep I definitely agree. I get quite annoyed with the fantasy football stats because they never rate the man of the match on anything but goals and assists. Bernard provides so many chances for his team mates around him to get an assist. I really hope he plays well against united as he makes us a different level.

1 hour ago, Btay said:

In conclusion- it’s not that I don’t rate siggy, I actually think he’s a quality footballer. I just think he’s got the ability to give so much more and I want to see that. 

Same here but I think it’s more down to tactics when he doesn’t get it. 

9 hours ago, Btay said:

Could be, I think he’s just not an out and out 10, centre mid or striker but has qualities all those positions require. ( if that makes sense )

I think he could do a job further back, maybe replace Gomes during his suspension?