IGNORED

Bernard

If Ødergaard ends up anywhere other than Real Sociedad I'll be surprised. It's where he found his form (after an unsuccessful spell with Heerenveen) and has publically stated his desire to be back there. 

I'd take him with on a loan with an option to buy, but as above I don't think it would ever happen. Despite not breaking into the Real Madrid setup I think he will go onto big things, in a similar mould to Renato Sanches who flopped at Bayern but has found form with Lille. 

10 hours ago, Matt said:

Think he’s worth way more than that personally, considering the market. But even as a fan of his, can’t deny he hasn’t had the impact I hoped he would. 

I think his value is always likely to be negatively impacted because of the wages he is likely to want.

On 20/01/2021 at 19:07, Zoo 2.0 said:

If Ødergaard ends up anywhere other than Real Sociedad I'll be surprised. It's where he found his form (after an unsuccessful spell with Heerenveen) and has publically stated his desire to be back there. 

I'd take him with on a loan with an option to buy, but as above I don't think it would ever happen. Despite not breaking into the Real Madrid setup I think he will go onto big things, in a similar mould to Renato Sanches who flopped at Bayern but has found form with Lille. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
5 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

Looks like he’ll be leaving shortly. 

Thought he was going to be great for us after his first season, he really looked to be building a good rapport with Digne down the left but just hasn’t worked out for him and we can’t afford his wages for a bit part player

7 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

Sad thing is he could have left in January but we blocked the move and he didn’t play (1-2 apps?).  Makes no sense why he is still here.  Makes you wonder

The move didn't happen for reasons never made public as far as I'm aware, so be interested to hear where you got the "we blocked it" info from.

6 minutes ago, Goodison Glory said:

What does it make you wonder? Ancelotti is even more clueless than we thought or is this Brands fault also?

Great point, I would love to know too.

Just now, MikeO said:

The move didn't happen for reasons never made public as far as I'm aware, so be interested to hear where you got the "we blocked it" info from.

Carlo said it himself he wanted him to stay.

7 hours ago, Shukes said:

We simply kept him for cover. 
Now we’re looking to get rid as we likely have targets.

Agreed but he is expensive cover one of the highest paid in the club, he may have been a free agent but his millions a year have proven very costly for very little return unless we can get 15-20 million to cover his wages.  

As there wasn’t a transfer fee his wages haven’t been that expensive. Especially when you consider the likes of Iwobi has probably £7m per year on the accounts in his transfer fee, before his wages are paid. So if Bernard is on £125k per week in wages we pay about £135k per week on Iwobi’s transfer fee, plus his wages. Bernard at £125k per week or Iwobi at £200k per week. I’d still rather have Bernard even without the financials. 

4 hours ago, StevO said:

As there wasn’t a transfer fee his wages haven’t been that expensive. Especially when you consider the likes of Iwobi has probably £7m per year on the accounts in his transfer fee, before his wages are paid. So if Bernard is on £125k per week in wages we pay about £135k per week on Iwobi’s transfer fee, plus his wages. Bernard at £125k per week or Iwobi at £200k per week. I’d still rather have Bernard even without the financials. 

Same. Carlo didn’t seem to rate him at all. I’m curious to see if a new manager has a different opinion. 

6 hours ago, StevO said:

I wasn’t comparing players against Bernard as it was his column I was highlighting what a waste of money he’s been, and drain on the clubs FFP stats. But just to add to your comparison between him and Iwobi Bernard made 18 appearances 20/21 and Iwobi 40 so value for money even with fees falls in Iwobi’s direction, I would expect if I looked at minutes played it would even go further in Iwobi’s favour, but like I said my post was that Bernard has been an expensive mistake unless we can recoup his wages. 

3 hours ago, Palfy said:

I wasn’t comparing players against Bernard as it was his column I was highlighting what a waste of money he’s been, and drain on the clubs FFP stats. But just to add to your comparison between him and Iwobi Bernard made 18 appearances 20/21 and Iwobi 40 so value for money even with fees falls in Iwobi’s direction, I would expect if I looked at minutes played it would even go further in Iwobi’s favour, but like I said my post was that Bernard has been an expensive mistake unless we can recoup his wages. 

My point was that even if Bernard is considered a mistake, he’s not been an expensive one. He’s been cheap compared to half the squad. The likes of Iwobi costing almost double per week and Gylfi costing almost triple per week, both of whom have frustrated the life out of fans with poor performances. They may have played more minutes but not exactly productive for the money.