IGNORED

Michael Keane

I think he has done alright when he has come in since Ancellotti joined. In fact in each game he has probably been the better centre back. The problem is that as soon as he starts playing regularly, the mistakes start creeping in too regularly.

Personally I am not sure I trust any of our CB's to play week in week out. I like Mina the most but he is a bit of a nut case.

3 hours ago, Bailey said:

I think he has done alright when he has come in since Ancellotti joined. In fact in each game he has probably been the better centre back. The problem is that as soon as he starts playing regularly, the mistakes start creeping in too regularly.

Personally I am not sure I trust any of our CB's to play week in week out. I like Mina the most but he is a bit of a nut case.

That’s what I like about him.

4 hours ago, Bailey said:

I love Mina 

3 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

I love Mina 

Me too, as footballer and most importantly as a person, living proof that there are people in this world who use there success as a vehicle to help people in a worse position in life through no fault of their own, he’s giving them an opportunity to work there way out of the situation they are in and hopefully a better future. 

15 hours ago, StevO said:

So you sell him, if someone buys him, and we have two centre halves left. What happens if the replacements we bring in (and we would have to buy two because three isn’t enough cover) aren’t good enough? Every transfer is a risk and they all don’t pay off, as we’ve seen over and over again.
I’m all for buying in new players to improve the team, I just don’t see the need to move every single player on who won’t be in the starting eleven.
Surely it’s better off having back up who you know, without any expenditure and reducing the risk. 

Sell crap and buy better.  If who you buy is crap then you sell them till you get the right one.

If the people who scout/ pick players continue to get it wrong then you replace them. 

He needs to be sold for 15-20 million if we can get it. It’s a shame as he looked good at Burnley and knowing our luck I bet he’ll start to play solidly at a new club.  Since he’s been here he’s never managed to a consistent run except at the end of last season. He’s too slow, gets caught on the turn and made to many errors here. Jags was the same when he arrived but he pushed on after 18 months. Keane never has and he never will, sell while there are takers and time on contract get someone else in - we should have taken the likes of Maguire or Evans while we had the chance.

2 hours ago, Hafnia said:

Sell crap and buy better.  If who you buy is crap then you sell them till you get the right one.

If the people who scout/ pick players continue to get it wrong then you replace them. 

But it’s been happening here for years, and selling them doesn’t happen.

It’s all well and good saying if they are crap sell them, but who do you sell them to? Who would buy them after seeing them be crap? 

There is a reason Sandro, Niasse and Martina are all still at Everton. 

Keane has stepped in quite well when called upon, seems to be a good character who won’t cause trouble if he continues to play 3rd choice. If we want to sell him and bring in someone else, will they be happy playing backup? Or is the plan to make Mina the 3rd choice? Or bring a partner in for Mina and use Holgate as a DM alongside Gomes? Makes no sense to sell him in my opinion.

28 minutes ago, StevO said:

But it’s been happening here for years, and selling them doesn’t happen.

It’s all well and good saying if they are crap sell them, but who do you sell them to? Who would buy them after seeing them be crap? 

There is a reason Sandro, Niasse and Martina are all still at Everton. 

Sandro has been loaned so the main risk was his transfer fee. £5m.  Cuco.... absolutely farcical buy even at a free.   Niasse - heads should roll for his transfer.

Michael Keane cost £25m.  He's realistically a £12m recoup. 

The top and bottom is you don't have them at the club, loan them or sell them.  Don't offer unproven players £100k a week wages.

4 hours ago, Hafnia said:

Exactly mistakes are made and when they happen you have to change it, you don’t accept it for fear of making same mistakes again, because you won’t improve till you’ve got it right. 

1 hour ago, Hafnia said:

Sandro has been loaned so the main risk was his transfer fee. £5m.  Cuco.... absolutely farcical buy even at a free.   Niasse - heads should roll for his transfer.

Michael Keane cost £25m.  He's realistically a £12m recoup. 

The top and bottom is you don't have them at the club, loan them or sell them.  Don't offer unproven players £100k a week wages.

The point is you can’t just sell players, even more so the players that aren’t good enough. 

2 hours ago, Matt said:

Keane has stepped in quite well when called upon, seems to be a good character who won’t cause trouble if he continues to play 3rd choice. If we want to sell him and bring in someone else, will they be happy playing backup? Or is the plan to make Mina the 3rd choice? Or bring a partner in for Mina and use Holgate as a DM alongside Gomes? Makes no sense to sell him in my opinion.

I really hope that’s not what we envision for Holgate. 

23 minutes ago, Btay said:

He’s aggressive and doesn’t take shit from any one. He’s an alpha and that’s what a CB should be

He’s also a liability. I do like his attitude but no one ever knows what he’s going to do next. Great for confusing the opposition, but must be a nightmare to play with and is stressful to watch as a fan

10 hours ago, Matt said:

He’s also a liability. I do like his attitude but no one ever knows what he’s going to do next. Great for confusing the opposition, but must be a nightmare to play with and is stressful to watch as a fan

I just don’t see him that way to be honest, I’m pretty comfortable with him at the back. He’s gangly and awkward but I think a proper solid RB and Holgate continuing to develop next to him is a good base. If we can get Digne back from last season as well that is.

5 hours ago, Btay said:

I just don’t see him that way to be honest, I’m pretty comfortable with him at the back. He’s gangly and awkward but I think a proper solid RB and Holgate continuing to develop next to him is a good base. If we can get Digne back from last season as well that is.

And a proper DM in front and I think Mina will look a lot different.  He’s trying to cover for a lot of shite players right now.

10 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

And a proper DM in front and I think Mina will look a lot different.  He’s trying to cover for a lot of shite players right now.

I see this quite a lot actually. You see him both covering his man and anticipating the error of others too. Sometimes that puts him in a difficult positions which he is sometimes very much on the edge but that's what good defenders do, play for the team.

1 hour ago, Bailey said:

I see this quite a lot actually. You see him both covering his man and anticipating the error of others too. Sometimes that puts him in a difficult positions which he is sometimes very much on the edge but that's what good defenders do, play for the team.

I see him causing problems for the RB particularly, but also the keeper and others around him. I am biased because I just don’t trust him though. Still the question remains; we buy a starter CB, what happens?

1 hour ago, Matt said:

I see him causing problems for the RB particularly, but also the keeper and others around him. I am biased because I just don’t trust him though. Still the question remains; we buy a starter CB, what happens?

good competition between keane mina and holgate.  also Carlo is always rotating so even if they aren't the main player they will still see time.  

5 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

good competition between keane mina and holgate.  also Carlo is always rotating so even if they aren't the main player they will still see time.  

Keane is our lovren... he doesn't add competition- just cover. When he plays you count the ball watching mistakes and hope it doesn't cost us.

Mina is worth persevering with, holgate solid, we need a lynch pin. Hopefully gabriel is that player. 

On 17/03/2020 at 00:34, Matt said:

For me, if we buy a CB they play next to Holgate. 

On 17/03/2020 at 00:34, Matt said:

I see the RB causing lots of problems for himself! 

• 2 weeks later...
On 13/03/2020 at 08:15, StevO said:

How much do you want us to sell him for?

Who do you want to buy him?

Who would you replace him with?

Maybe we start to make these comments a bit more constructive. 

Why?  Its all personal opinion whatever constructive comments we make are irrelvant.  i very much doubt ancelotti is scouring this forum for ideas.

5 hours ago, jofanon said:

Why?  Its all personal opinion whatever constructive comments we make are irrelvant.  i very much doubt ancelotti is scouring this forum for ideas.

The point was to add to the conversation. instead of just “hes shit, get rid” I was trying to get a bit more so we can actually talk about it rather than just single statements. This is a place for conversation after all. If our comments are irrelevant then why do we all keep coming back?