IGNORED

Michael Keane

7 minutes ago, Shukes said:

Read the match day thread mate. Loads had an issue with it. Problem is that Keane hasn’t go the physical attributes to deal with someone like Carrol. He probably saw him free and shit himself.

Ah I was away camping for the game so wasn’t on the thread watching the game like usual.

Thing is, physically he is big and strong - mentally is his issue and always has been. Holgate is a small CB but he is aggressive and rarely gives and easy win, Keane just hasn’t got that fight for me.

37 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

The commentators on my stream said that Carroll had put himself on Baines, Sig spotted it but he was still making his way to Carroll as the ball came in and it was too late.

Credit sig for trying but Keane is our biggest CB and it’s his responsibility from the moment the free kick is given. 

They are defending set pieces with let zonal and part man to man. Keane was a player with a zone. As said above, Carrol picked on Baines (intelligent move from him) Gylfi is a free man and went to help. Good spot by Gylfi, but it’s too late. Credit to Carrol, it was a good move. Credit to the lad who finished it too, very little time but buried it. 

4 hours ago, Btay said:

Ah I was away camping for the game so wasn’t on the thread watching the game like usual.

Thing is, physically he is big and strong - mentally is his issue and always has been. Holgate is a small CB but he is aggressive and rarely gives and easy win, Keane just hasn’t got that fight for me.

My only issue with Holgate. I love him as a player, but he got pushed over some yesterday too. Still has more fight than Keane though. I really want Keane to do well, I just find it strange that a guy that big struggles with one-on-ones. Must be a mental issue. 

8 hours ago, Sibdane said:

My only issue with Holgate. I love him as a player, but he got pushed over some yesterday too. Still has more fight than Keane though. I really want Keane to do well, I just find it strange that a guy that big struggles with one-on-ones. Must be a mental issue. 

Tim Cahill used to be able to jump higher than Fellaini, probably from learning to jump to compete at a young age. Fellaini never needed to jump at his height. 
Lukaku struggles with defenders who are physical with him, possibly from never needing to do much to out strength a player when he was learning the game.  
Maybe Keane was always bigger and stronger than others when he learned to play. Maybe he always handled others with ease, but it’s not so easy against elite level pros. Could be wrong though. 

1 minute ago, StevO said:

Tim Cahill used to be able to jump higher than Fellaini, probably from learning to jump to compete at a young age. Fellaini never needed to jump at his height. 
Lukaku struggles with defenders who are physical with him, possibly from never needing to do much to out strength a player when he was learning the game.  
Maybe Keane was always bigger and stronger than others when he learned to play. Maybe he always handled others with ease, but it’s not so easy against elite level pros. Could be wrong though. 

I think there is some truth to what you're saying. From my own experience, I was always smaller than everyone when I was younger, but I learned to use my body to make up for it. Now I'm pretty average at 6 foot, but I still have that physical edge.

1 minute ago, Sibdane said:

I think there is some truth to what you're saying. From my own experience, I was always smaller than everyone when I was younger, but I learned to use my body to make up for it. Now I'm pretty average at 6 foot, but I still have that physical edge.

We learn so much at a young age, it’s hard to change and develop these things. 
I was always taller than most, but I could cross a ball so always played out wide. I cant jump for shit, and I still hate getting tackled. 😂

8 hours ago, StevO said:

Sorry I’m not buying that, if he’s not learnt how to use his strength properly in the premier by now, he never knew how to use it properly. Needs to man up or move on.

3 hours ago, Wiggytop said:

Sorry I’m not buying that, if he’s not learnt how to use his strength properly in the premier by now, he never knew how to use it properly. Needs to man up or move on.

Hes not agile enough and is too slow off the mark and in overall pace. If he was he'd be a decent defender for us.

22 hours ago, Sibdane said:

Holgate needs to go on DCLs training plan. 

Keane is a good defender, but as you say it’s 100% confidence with him. 

5 hours ago, Wiggytop said:

You don’t think we learn our habits and skills growing up? You didn’t learn things that have stuck with you for life? You don’t have habits or personality traits that have been with you since your formative years?
Yeah he could learn to adapt, but he hasn’t. I’ve not said he ever knew how to use it, if he was a big lad growing up (which he was) then he wouldn’t have had to use it. 

Needs to man up? 

14 minutes ago, TallPaul1878 said:

It's not just a confidence issue, sure his confidence is shot but he is severely lacking in pace. Against players like Salah, Vardy and Aguero he gets turned inside out and put on his backside. They out smart him and out pace him.

Worse still is that he is a gentle giant, he doesn't have the physical strength to out muscle some of the bigger strikers in the league.

He can clear crosses and corners from his 18 yard box, that's about it.

Most defenders get put on their arse by those 3 though. I’m not saying he’s the answer but he’s nowhere near as bad as some make out. If we do get another CB, he’ll be good backup, if we don’t we could do a lot worse. 

I have a lot of sympathy for him, a big money signing he is unable to live upto.

Sadly the main thing that lets him down is he reactive, never proactive, never sees danger or puts himself in the right position, this in turn makes him look slow.

He is not going to learn that now at his age, sorry but he has to go.

1 hour ago, StevO said:

You don’t think we learn our habits and skills growing up? You didn’t learn things that have stuck with you for life? You don’t have habits or personality traits that have been with you since your formative years?
Yeah he could learn to adapt, but he hasn’t. I’ve not said he ever knew how to use it, if he was a big lad growing up (which he was) then he wouldn’t have had to use it. 

Needs to man up? 

We do learn our habits and skills growing up, and we learn to improve, embrace the good manage out the bad, ask the dinosaurs.

Yes he needs to man up and be more aggressive in his style of play if he wants to continue at Everton and earn a bloody good wage, or are you happy for him to continue to be knocked off the ball as easily as his is. Speed will never come if it’s not there but game reading and anticipation can be developed.

1 hour ago, Tonsta said:

I have a lot of sympathy for him, a big money signing he is unable to live upto.

Sadly the main thing that lets him down is he reactive, never proactive, never sees danger or puts himself in the right position, this in turn makes him look slow.

He is not going to learn that now at his age, sorry but he has to go.

This is a perfect summary, totally agree with this. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, StevO said:

How much do you want us to sell him for?

Who do you want to buy him?

Who would you replace him with?

Maybe we start to make these comments a bit more constructive. 

For what ever we can get.

Liverpool would be nice.

I spoke to Ancelotti he’s thinking Stone’s.

He’s not a player who is going to help us improve, you can keep him on the bench as backup, but when you need him can you be confident that he’s not going to cost us points. 

22 hours ago, Palfy said:

For what ever we can get.

Liverpool would be nice.

I spoke to Ancelotti he’s thinking Stone’s.

He’s not a player who is going to help us improve, you can keep him on the bench as backup, but when you need him can you be confident that he’s not going to cost us points. 

So you sell him, if someone buys him, and we have two centre halves left. What happens if the replacements we bring in (and we would have to buy two because three isn’t enough cover) aren’t good enough? Every transfer is a risk and they all don’t pay off, as we’ve seen over and over again.
I’m all for buying in new players to improve the team, I just don’t see the need to move every single player on who won’t be in the starting eleven.
Surely it’s better off having back up who you know, without any expenditure and reducing the risk. 

41 minutes ago, StevO said:

So you sell him, if someone buys him, and we have two centre halves left. What happens if the replacements we bring in (and we would have to buy two because three isn’t enough cover) aren’t good enough? Every transfer is a risk and they all don’t pay off, as we’ve seen over and over again.
I’m all for buying in new players to improve the team, I just don’t see the need to move every single player on who won’t be in the starting eleven.
Surely it’s better off having back up who you know, without any expenditure and reducing the risk. 

If we sell and buy and they end up no good we are only back were we started, nothing ventured nothing gained. 
It is better to have back up you know and can rely upon, but for me Keane doesn’t fall into the category rely on, but we do know him and that’s a good reason for selling him is mojo has gone, for me he plays with fear not confidence.