IGNORED

Michael Keane

5 hours ago, Hafnia said:

Gana won the ball more than any midfielder in the league has .... That demonstrates a high level of competence.  He enabled a high press, he wasn't asked to hold his position, he wasn't expected to be a ball player and he never lost his place cos he couldn't pass like James - he kept it cos he won the ball for the team.

Gana was a ball winning midfielder and that's why PSG came in for him.

Allan is a more rounded player and looks an awesome signing.  But that does not take away the fact that Gana was a highly effective ball winning midfielder who's mobility and tenacity left our midfield with such a void that we looked shocking after he left. 

Gana is probably the biggest miss we've had in our side in terms of non replacement.... Our tackles won, interceptions, goals conceded all got massively damaged when he left 

In defense of management we did bring in Gbamin and Delph. Not exactly the same types as Gana but their injuries did exaggerate the impact of his absence.

5 hours ago, Hafnia said:

Gana won the ball more than any midfielder in the league has .... That demonstrates a high level of competence.  He enabled a high press, he wasn't asked to hold his position, he wasn't expected to be a ball player and he never lost his place cos he couldn't pass like James - he kept it cos he won the ball for the team.

Gana was a ball winning midfielder and that's why PSG came in for him.

Allan is a more rounded player and looks an awesome signing.  But that does not take away the fact that Gana was a highly effective ball winning midfielder who's mobility and tenacity left our midfield with such a void that we looked shocking after he left. 

Gana is probably the biggest miss we've had in our side in terms of non replacement.... Our tackles won, interceptions, goals conceded all got massively damaged when he left 

I looked at our goals conceded with him in the team  and they were nothing to right home about, Gana was a ball winning midfielder end of done nothing else to offer, with in less than year PSG their management and their supporters soon realised that that’s why he doesn’t play much and is available for sale. 

1 hour ago, Palfy said:

I looked at our goals conceded with him in the team  and they were nothing to right home about, Gana was a ball winning midfielder end of done nothing else to offer, with in less than year PSG their management and their supporters soon realised that that’s why he doesn’t play much and is available for sale. 

https://www.getfootballnewsfrance.com/2020/feature-idrissa-gueye-an-assessment-of-his-1st-9-months-at-psg/

https://www.getfootballnewsfrance.com/2020/ex-lille-recruiter-vandamme-idrissa-gueye-is-the-indispensable-player-for-psg/

He played 33 games Palf, tuchel and Leonardo  love him.  He got groin injuries which made him miss some games.  They need to raise cash but draxler is the saleable asset. 

He's been a success there.... Champions League finalist, League winner. 

7 hours ago, Hafnia said:

Gana won the ball more than any midfielder in the league has .... That demonstrates a high level of competence.

Wrecklessly leaving your position is the opposite of demonstrating competence. 

@17 seconds he leaves us exposed. Does any one have the stats for how often he done that? As I'd back on him being miles ahead of any player we've had. 

Back on topic what the feck was Michael Keane doing also. 

7 hours ago, Hafnia said:

He enabled a high press, he wasn't asked to hold his position, he wasn't expected to be a ball player and he never lost his place cos he couldn't pass like James - he kept it cos he won the ball for the team.

This is the bit his fans loved him for, and his detractors just thought he was out of position. He was doing what he was asked to do and do it well. 

And I can’t believe I’ve got myself sucked into this. 

21 minutes ago, Hafnia said:

https://www.getfootballnewsfrance.com/2020/feature-idrissa-gueye-an-assessment-of-his-1st-9-months-at-psg/

https://www.getfootballnewsfrance.com/2020/ex-lille-recruiter-vandamme-idrissa-gueye-is-the-indispensable-player-for-psg/

He played 33 games Palf, tuchel and Leonardo  love him.  He got groin injuries which made him miss some games.  They need to raise cash but draxler is the saleable asset. 

He's been a success there.... Champions League finalist, League winner. 

They win the league every year he didn’t play in the final or semi’s, you’re never convince me he’s good player winning the ball isn’t the be all and end all of a good player, you need far more than that to become a good player, watch Allan and you’re see what we were missing with Gana, he’s now been replaced for quality. 

3 hours ago, Palfy said:

You’ve been saying that for a few months... then I watched the champions league after lockdown... and he was on the pitch?  
They must have realised is less than a year.... but then forgot again during lockdown 😉

Damn it I’m feeding him again!

2 hours ago, Palfy said:

They win the league every year he didn’t play in the final or semi’s, you’re never convince me he’s good player winning the ball isn’t the be all and end all of a good player, you need far more than that to become a good player, watch Allan and you’re see what we were missing with Gana, he’s now been replaced for quality. 

You son of a bitch. 

2 hours ago, Shukes said:

You’ve been saying that for a few months... then I watched the champions league after lockdown... and he was on the pitch?  
They must have realised is less than a year.... but then forgot again during lockdown 😉

Damn it I’m feeding him again!

I'm not sure he started the semi or the final. Must have played the game you saw then realised they couldn't afford to do it again! ;)

I know it’s only Salford today, but even Spurs and the end of last season, he looks to have really stepped up a level. 
He made comments about getting an old coach he had at United to help him work on his game. Maybe that made a big difference. Whatever it is, he’s looking good and hopefully it continues. 

3 hours ago, StevO said:

I know it’s only Salford today, but even Spurs and the end of last season, he looks to have really stepped up a level. 
He made comments about getting an old coach he had at United to help him work on his game. Maybe that made a big difference. Whatever it is, he’s looking good and hopefully it continues. 

could be that, could also be a manager who has backed him and a DOF who gave him a new contract.  i would think both of those would be bigtime confidence boosters knowing you are wanted and appreciated.  i hadn't heard about the old coach, but that sounds plausible as well.

I'm really pleased for him after finding his form. Not because I've always rated him (it's no secret I have) but because he seems like a really humble lad and someone who just wants to be the best he can be, and has the work ethic to put that into practice.

It shows his character that he's managed to come back from what was horrendous form at the start of his Everton career. Form that was, at least in part, down to him just wanting to help his new team out. 

He has his limitations, we all know that (so does he), and we'll have to get better than him in the next 2/3 years to push us on, but he's a very good defender for us and in my opinion he's the first CB on the teamsheet.

14 hours ago, StevO said:

I read somewhere that his top speed improved after lockdown due to the different training he was doing. I cannot find it now as it was on Twitter but he improved his recorded speed by a few kmph which isn't too shabby.

He has certainly improved his consistency over that period and as Romey says he is definitely the first CB on the team sheet. I will still remain cautious as to how he continues over the season as he has yet to be consistent in an Everton shirt but he looks like he belongs here now.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Romey 1878 said:

Must admit he has really impressed this year.

Glad he’s mentioned attacking runs from corners - he’s been on the end of a lot and there abouts for others. Hope he keeps it up because he’s been class.

2 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

Is it possible for Michael Keane to improve?  I think think some people may struggle to either want him to or accept that he has.... As it means that he could prove them wrong.

I must admit I wasn't a big fan at a certain time but I'm a sucker for a player with the grit to improve ... Struggles with pace and occasional ball watching but there are qualities there that make him very effective.