IGNORED

Michael Keane

1 hour ago, London Blue said:

He is the definition of a model professional, had setbacks, looked himself in the mirror, and worked hard to improve himself. Didn't wine or complain, he worked with people he trusted and just got on with it. Massive respect to him.

Had a few beers though.   …….....  Got in before Mike gets you.😁

He's been in good form and its great to see. Started the campaign off with some sketchy moments - like all our defenders but hes really kicked on. I just hope this is it, its been said before and we have been here before and then he reverts to a shaky version of himself. He's stood up when we have been screaming for a leader at the back.

I still think he can be better though - more vocal, commanding and a real presence. He's going the right way no doubt, i just hope he is setting the bench mark for consistent performances. 

3 hours ago, Btay said:

I still think he can be better though - more vocal, commanding and a real presence. He's going the right way no doubt, i just hope he is setting the bench mark for consistent performances. 

He doesn't seem like someone who ever wants to just stay at a level, whatever that is at the time, he's always looking to get better.

11 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

He doesn't seem like someone who ever wants to just stay at a level, whatever that is at the time, he's always looking to get better.

To be honest I’ve always found him quite placid and content which is what my problem has been with him.

He improved undoubtedly and is the first defender on the team sheet right now.

• 5 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Hafnia said:

Another player who under Carlo Ancellotti looks to be a very good player.  

Probably player of season so far and today he looked like a captain.  

Definitely seeing the difference in him. Confidence or what ever it is but he is the leader at the back we’ve been screaming out for. 

I definitely think he is suited to this deep block defence, eats up everything that comes into the box.

Carlo has definitely played a big part, but he’s not had any big off the field issues or ongoing injury concerns which I think had played a bigger part. Always had faith in him and I’m glad he’s making his ability even easier to see. He’s been an absolute rock this season, and I hope he’s our leading CB for the next 5 years. He really could be Jags’ replacement at this rate. 

27 minutes ago, Matt said:

Carlo has definitely played a big part, but he’s not had any big off the field issues or ongoing injury concerns which I think had played a bigger part. Always had faith in him and I’m glad he’s making his ability even easier to see. He’s been an absolute rock this season, and I hope he’s our leading CB for the next 5 years. He really could be Jags’ replacement at this rate. 

It's also helped that he's had a good run of games. He doesn't seem like a player that can be rotated and then just come back in and be the same quality as he was before (as was shown in just past couple of weeks). I hope Carlo has noted it and only takes him out when it's absolutely needed.

It is no surprise that his best games come when we sit deep and he has numbers around him. He has done really well this season but I really don't want us to play that way week in week out.

I am not sure how consistent and how much he will have "improved" if we start playing on the front foot again, with him defending much closer to the half way line.

7 minutes ago, Bailey said:

It is no surprise that his best games come when we sit deep and he has numbers around him. He has done really well this season but I really don't want us to play that way week in week out.

I am not sure how consistent and how much he will have "improved" if we start playing on the front foot again, with him defending much closer to the half way line.

Not all centre halves are quick, if he is partnered with Godfrey then I don't see the issue 

We had ratcliffe as the legs to cover mountfield, Liverpool had lawrenson as the legs to cover Hansen and they were the days of 2 strikers. 

1 minute ago, Hafnia said:

Not all centre halves are quick, if he is partnered with Godfrey then I don't see the issue 

We had ratcliffe as the legs to cover mountfield, Liverpool had lawrenson as the legs to cover Hansen and they were the days of 2 strikers. 

It isn't about being quick. I don't think Keane is a slouch either. Keane just has a natural tendency to drop deep, to stand off, to be passive. He isn't agile (although it has noticeably improved this season) and he is an average 1 v 1 defender. Put him in a side like City and Liverpool and he will get exposed a lot. We are never going to play like them, but I am pretty confident that Carlo would like us to play higher up the pitch and squeeze the space between the lines and dominate the ball in the opposition half a lot more than we do now. As soon as you do that, Keane will have more space around him and his natural tendencies, will just create more space for opposition players than you can afford them to have.

The game has moved on a bit since then Haf!

4 hours ago, Bailey said:

It isn't about being quick. I don't think Keane is a slouch either. Keane just has a natural tendency to drop deep, to stand off, to be passive. He isn't agile (although it has noticeably improved this season) and he is an average 1 v 1 defender. Put him in a side like City and Liverpool and he will get exposed a lot. We are never going to play like them, but I am pretty confident that Carlo would like us to play higher up the pitch and squeeze the space between the lines and dominate the ball in the opposition half a lot more than we do now. As soon as you do that, Keane will have more space around him and his natural tendencies, will just create more space for opposition players than you can afford them to have.

The game has moved on a bit since then Haf!

His leadership qualities are coming to the fore now.  Wasn't a fan but he's looking a far better player than he has. 

43 minutes ago, Hafnia said:

His leadership qualities are coming to the fore now.  Wasn't a fan but he's looking a far better player than he has. 

Me too, and your right he’s very much improved, I used to cringe when his name was on the team sheet a couple of seasons ago, full credit to him for becoming so reliable.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, MikeO said:

Dier is dire, Maguire has the mobility of the Michael Jackson statue that used to be outside Craven Cottage, Mings I don't mind getting a go but Keane is better than all of them.

All true, I just hope he sees it as a welcome break from a busy season, and it doesn’t knock his confidence.