IGNORED

Michael Keane

On 31/03/2020 at 19:58, StevO said:

The point was to add to the conversation. instead of just “hes shit, get rid” I was trying to get a bit more so we can actually talk about it rather than just single statements. This is a place for conversation after all. If our comments are irrelevant then why do we all keep coming back?

I love the variance of opinion on here and how differently some see performances or players never ceases to shock me. However, I just come back to educate you all with my correct views on all things! 😂

On 13/03/2020 at 04:15, StevO said:

How much do you want us to sell him for?

Who do you want to buy him?

Who would you replace him with?

Maybe we start to make these comments a bit more constructive. 

15m
Assuming season gets completed I actually think west brom or Leeds could be a great fit as promoted big clubs. Wages wouldn’t be as big an issue. 

Don’t know enough here, looks like this Gabriel fella is coming in. 

Honest. I read that he also got a dog, well known that they can help anxiety. We've been without one for a couple of years really miss him but are were trying to travel more. Family have been looking at rescues but has to be on hold till restriction over.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 01/07/2020 at 20:51, c1982 said:

Probably been our best player post-lockdown.

I'd agree with that but say yesterday was his least best performance. Both him and Holgate had lapses. 

The most clearances record is a bit generous as number 8 is anything but. 

• 5 weeks later...
14 hours ago, Matt said:

He’s a very good player and very honest professional. Doesn’t deserve half the stick he gets. Hopefully we’ll see the best of him in the next 5 years 

Matt with all due respect he’s been so inconsistent over his whole spell here. It’s great to see him playing better but he needs to put in a complete solid season and not just these phases of a few months.

7 hours ago, Btay said:

Matt with all due respect he’s been so inconsistent over his whole spell here. It’s great to see him playing better but he needs to put in a complete solid season and not just these phases of a few months.

He’s shown willing to play injured which has made him look worse than he is but was for the good of the team. When he’s been fit he’s been very good. 

15 hours ago, Aidan said:

Honestly id be disappointed if he is part of the long term vision of the club. 

Why? If he is in the long term vision it means Carlo rates him highly enough. (Carlo knows way more about football than any member of this forum)
If he stays in that vision it means he has continued to play well and kept his place with solid performances. 
What’s the issue? 

The issue with Keane is that when he gets exposed and pulled out of the line he looks like a statue. I wouldnt say he is a great 1 v 1 defender either. 

Great headerer and he takes good positions in the box, decent enough on the ball, quick enough but probably a bit weak for his size. I find that when he gets flustered he stays unsettled for a too long for a top player. 

You can see exactly why he was so good for Burnley and he has developed and improved at Everton. Our current level is his level but if our ambitions are to play regularly in Europe then I can't really see him being anything more than a back up player. 

4 hours ago, Palfy said:

I’d love to know who we are going to replace him with that is better and under 40million, I think the answer is there is nobody out there any better for that money, Ake’s sale has shown that 40+ million and he’s no better than Keane. 

Whilst I'd have Ake everyday over any of our CBs its a fair enough point. Id argue the toss that there are a few better out there in the Premier League for similar money that we paid for Keane but its not like they will have the impact of VVD. They might just be a little bit more rounded and maybe a little bit more consistent. 

An example would be Zouma when comparing their season for us. Zouma was better and is a more rounded defender but he is still going to make a fair amount of errors in a season. Its not like he would come in and be flawless. 

On 03/08/2020 at 09:47, pete0 said:

Can't play a high line to save his life. For a professional centre back he gets caught by the long ball far too much. Gets bullied too readily too. 

Bang on. He our oldest, most experienced CB and I don’t see him as a leader. He seems like a top guy and I genuinely hope his form continues and continues to improve because it would take him to where the level he should be at. 

Too many times he’s looked to have turned a corner only to regress back into the shell of a player he can be.

1 hour ago, Btay said:

Bang on. He our oldest, most experienced CB and I don’t see him as a leader. He seems like a top guy and I genuinely hope his form continues and continues to improve because it would take him to where the level he should be at. 

Too many times he’s looked to have turned a corner only to regress back into the shell of a player he can be.

There's only one match for me that he's looked good enough and that was Brighton when he had Murray all day. Murray tried to rough him up and Keane had none of it. Yet against anyone else he's a gentle giant, can only assume it's because he's scared of hurting them (whereas Murray is a big lug) so pulls out to easy or doesn't go in as hard. Got a mate in 5 a side who is exactly the same, always been bigger than everyone but is conscious of injuring them. Even when I'm on the other team I tell him to just play and let us worry about getting hurt rather than him pull out when he can win the ball but scared of injuring someone. Sadly I don't see Keane getting past that mentality. 

• 2 weeks later...