IGNORED

Anwar El Ghazi

• 6 years later...

I’ve just looked through a Villa website and they can’t believe their luck. They can’t believe the fee. Way down the pecking order at their club. A lazy player and his goal tally is pumped up by penalties ( I haven’t checked that stat).

By god this is so so bad. 

55 minutes ago, SpartyBlue said:

Loan deal would be just fine. Not a lot of options this window, low risk, if he’s poor then easy enough to move on. Will obviously be more options and more funds in the summer so temporary help seems prudent to me.

Yes options are sparse but that doesn’t mean you just take anyone. That’s how we ended up with the shit stain that is Salomon Rondon. If the right player isn’t available then you don’t bring anyone in.

21 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

Yes options are sparse but that doesn’t mean you just take anyone. That’s how we ended up with the shit stain that is Salomon Rondon. If the right player isn’t available then you don’t bring anyone in.

A 6 month loan doesn’t cost the club much. I guess you could argue that the chance that he contributes is less than eventhat small cost but I don’t really think this is one (if it comes off) that anyone should be terribly upset by. For me, there isn’t much risk so why not take a flier? Yes, you often end up with Rondon but you also can end up with Gray. The problem is when your flier is 40m like an Iwobi and it seriously hamstrings the club when he doesn’t work out. A 6 month loan for a player who I assume would be on medium wages isn’t gonna make much of a difference to the club if it doesn’t work out. 

4 minutes ago, SpartyBlue said:

A 6 month loan doesn’t cost the club much. I guess you could argue that the chance that he contributes is less than eventhat small cost but I don’t really think this is one (if it comes off) that anyone should be terribly upset by. For me, there isn’t much risk so why not take a flier? Yes, you often end up with Rondon but you also can end up with Gray. The problem is when your flier is 40m like an Iwobi and it seriously hamstrings the club when he doesn’t work out. A 6 month loan for a player who I assume would be on medium wages isn’t gonna make much of a difference to the club if it doesn’t work out. 

All well and good but the likes of Gordon and Dobbin are showing they can do that role nicely. We also don’t have much in the way of cup fixtures and no Europe. Had we shifted Iwobi I could maybe understand brining in someone on loan to cover but I don’t want Gordon to lose game time and I’d rather see Dobbin develop further.

Just now, Btay said:

All well and good but the likes of Gordon and Dobbin are showing they can do that role nicely. We also don’t have much in the way of cup fixtures and no Europe. Had we shifted Iwobi I could maybe understand brining in someone on loan to cover but I don’t want Gordon to lose game time and I’d rather see Dobbin develop further.

A fair point and certainly a concern. Financially though this wouldn’t be a big commitment. Davies out, Iwobi seemingly out of favor etc.. one in wouldn’t be terrible for me. Just not one I’m bothered much by either way. If he cost Gordon in particular minutes I would be both surprised and annoyed so I get it.

3 minutes ago, SpartyBlue said:

A fair point and certainly a concern. Financially though this wouldn’t be a big commitment. Davies out, Iwobi seemingly out of favor etc.. one in wouldn’t be terrible for me. Just not one I’m bothered much by either way. If he cost Gordon in particular minutes I would be both surprised and annoyed so I get it.

Agree. It’s hard to say because don’t know how much room we have to move financially here but if we are bring in another player I would much prefer to see another energetic, dynamic midfielder to help out Doucoure and Allan.

17 minutes ago, Btay said:

Agree. It’s hard to say because don’t know how much room we have to move financially here but if we are bring in another player I would much prefer to see another energetic, dynamic midfielder to help out Doucoure and Allan.

We certainly need a creative player in the middle to pull the strings.  Doucoure is great to have in the team but he’s not that guy and Gomes isn’t quite the level you’d want. Assuming everyone stays, our front 3 is actually quite strong when healthy. Having someone to put them in good positions would be worth a lot to us.

41 minutes ago, SpartyBlue said:

He’s just not very good. It’d be a waste of time and money (no matter how little that may be). Seems like a signing just for the sake of it tbh. 

19 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

He’s just not very good. It’d be a waste of time and money (no matter how little that may be). Seems like a signing just for the sake of it tbh. 

I defer to you/others on his ability but there is some value even if he’s just temporary depth until the summer, no? Plus, Rondon needs someone to take the heat off of him. 

9 hours ago, SpartyBlue said:

I defer to you/others on his ability but there is some value even if he’s just temporary depth until the summer, no? 

No, if they're not good enough then they're not good enough. That's the be all and end all.

We're supposed to be getting rid of our shite but, instead, we're letting a quality player go in Digne and adding to the shite that's already here in this lad (if it happens, of course).

3 hours ago, Shukes said:

Just speaking with my Villa contact 😉 

He says he is a very attacking direct player and has goals in him. He said if we could get him around 15m it’s a steal. 
He said he isn’t a winger, he is more of a “in the hole” player and very creative.

This makes sense as it’s what’s needed more than a winger (regardless of the specific player) and wouldn’t block Gordon from minutes.