IGNORED

Martinez - Direction?

MC11

Extract from article in today's Telegraph Sport.

It was the same at Anfield this week. As Roberto Martinez's side were completely dismantled, the Everton manager spent the entire second half standing in his technical area stock still with his arms folded. Not once did a coach, usually busy and engaged on the touchline, make any attempt to intervene. The picture he presented was one of abject surrender. He looked powerless to make an effective intervention. Which is a condition many an Everton follower has long since reckoned identifies his managerial capabilities.

Extract from article in today's Telegraph Sport.

It was the same at Anfield this week. As Roberto Martinez's side were completely dismantled, the Everton manager spent the entire second half standing in his technical area stock still with his arms folded. Not once did a coach, usually busy and engaged on the touchline, make any attempt to intervene. The picture he presented was one of abject surrender. He looked powerless to make an effective intervention. Which is a condition many an Everton follower has long since reckoned identifies his managerial capabilities.

That is the reason I have turned.

I can take losing, I understand building and always look at the longer picture.

But not trying is what does it for me. You should be changing things from the sideline. Shouting instructions.

Pumping your team up.

That is the reason I have turned.

I can take losing, I understand building and always look at the longer picture.

But not trying is what does it for me. You should be changing things from the sideline. Shouting instructions.

Pumping your team up.

Maybe he knows something we are yet to be made aware of and just can't be bothered?

Don't think so, not with a semi-final (and last chance of achieving something) just around the corner.

Thing is John, this semi final feels like getting ready for a romantic weekend in Paris with a woman that gets on your nerves and you are planning to ditch. You actually worry that for some reason you may have a nice time which complicates the separation that needs to happen.

Me - I would sack her off now and take your mates (Unsworth/Royle) for a boozy weekend. You know where you stand with them.

If we lose at the weekend, he is done for me.

Part of me would sack him immediately, begin the search for a new manager, and let Big Dunc and Unsworth run the team in the interim. They'd probably reinstill some fun/morale in the dressing room, let the boys have a go, and possibly give some other players a chance who have been out of favor (or youth players not yet given a go) under Martinez.

The other part of me still respects Martinez despite all his flaws and wants to respect him and let him finish out the season.

The further along we go, the more I am preferring the former option.

If we lose at the weekend, he is done for me.

Part of me would sack him immediately, begin the search for a new manager, and let Big Dunc and Unsworth run the team in the interim. They'd probably reinstill some fun/morale in the dressing room, let the boys have a go, and possibly give some other players a chance who have been out of favor (or youth players not yet given a go) under Martinez.

The other part of me still respects Martinez despite all his flaws and wants to respect him and let him finish out the season.

The further along we go, the more I am preferring the former option.

I'm exactly where you're at now.

Me too. Win or resign tomorrow.

I don't have any hate or malice to him and I don't think he's an idiot. He is clearly not.

I even think he could he a good manager with another season.

I just can't risk it with us. We need a change now or we may struggle again next year.

Well I would not expect him to say "Fuck off Everton" while he is getting a big wage and right before a Cup semi final.

agreed but like Pardew, LVG, Quique Flores have done they acknowledge the results aren't there and they are playing for their job. RM in typical arrogant defiance "it would not be professional to talk about that". LOL ok dude.

agreed but like Pardew, LVG, Quique Flores have done they acknowledge the results aren't there and they are playing for their job. RM in typical arrogant defiance "it would not be professional to talk about that". LOL ok dude.

But to be fair, it wouldn't have been professional the day before Everton's biggest game of the season to talk about his own job. What could he possibly have said that would have been beneficial to the team? "If the players lose tomorrow, it's likely I'll lose my job"? What good could come of that, 24 hours before the players take to the pitch for the FA Cup semi final?

He's admitted that results and performances have been crap, not up to Everton's expected standard at all, and he's said that tomorrow they will try all they can to put it right by winning the game. What is wrong with any of that? Why does he have to say that his own job is on the line just because journalists press him to so they can have some headlines?

And I haven't seen Pardew or LVG say they're playing for their jobs. Quite the opposite, LVG endlessly says he's not at all concerned about his job, no matter how awful his results have been.

Edited by Isaiah

But to be fair, it wouldn't have been professional the day before Everton's biggest game of the season to talk about his own job. What could he possibly have said that would have been beneficial to the team? "If the players lose tomorrow, it's likely I'll lose my job"? What good could come of that, 24 hours before the players take to the pitch for the FA Cup semi final?

He's admitted that results and performances have been crap, not up to Everton's expected standard at all, and he's said that tomorrow they will try all they can to put it right by winning the game. What is wrong with any of that? Why does he have to say that his own job is on the line just because journalists press him to so they can have some headlines?

And I haven't seen Pardew or LVG say they're playing for their jobs. Quite the opposite, LGV endlessly says he's not at all concerned about his job, no matter how awful his results have been.

He could acknowledge that we are in a rut and he needs to get better performances out of the team and say as a manager i am responsible and have stepped up my game and am very confident well turn this around.

instead it's "what do i need to turnaround? we play incredible football and posses the ball phenomenally". utter BS

some realism would be nice.

He could acknowledge that we are in a rut and he needs to get better performances out of the team and say as a manager i am responsible and have stepped up my game and am very confident well turn this around.

instead it's "what do i need to turnaround? we play incredible football and posses the ball phenomenally". utter BS

some realism would be nice.

It would be. As you put his words in quotations I'm presuming it's a direct quote.

Link would be useful; if you can't provide that you need to look at your own realism.

It would be. As you put his words in quotations I'm presuming it's a direct quote.

Link would be useful; if you can't provide that you need to look at your own realism.

the quote was made up, but i posted the video above you can watch from the press conference. my own realism is his lack there of. how real is your realism?

the quote was made up, but i posted the video above you can watch from the press conference. my own realism is his lack there of. how real is your realism?

That's all I deal in when it comes to fact as opposed to opinion, I don't make stuff up.

You can't say in the same post that your "realism" is based on stuff you make up. That's just silly (I'm being kind).

A guy on Reddit posted this. Don't know how true it is, but fingers crossed.

Chelsea fan here, come in peace, I have a decent source here in London who tells me Martinez will be sacked at the end of the season and there are only three people on the short-list. (self.Everton)

submitted

14 hours ago

by RyRyLloyd

• Lucien Favre.
  • Paul Clement.
  • Roberto Mancini.

From what I was told, Favre is the favoured candidate as he's seen as not only a great coach, but a decent lad who'll get along with the squad. Everton board members find Clement to be one very good coach, and as for Manicni, he is "only considered an option".

Edit; since I have been asked on DM from a few asking what other information I have, I'll spill some beans. Aside from the usual Stones being wanted by Chelsea, City, United and Barca rumours (which are true), Everton have begun listing-up their midfield targets, which are;

• Lewis Cook.
  • Bernard of Shakhtar Donetsk.
  • Dennis Praet of Anderlecht.
  • Gokhan Tore (this is very unlikely to materialise.)

And another one:

Don't know about the links, as far as I know they're not yet in talks with any managers. Can confirm from an extremely reliable, (as in, as reliable as I'd put my mortgage on it) that there will be a board meeting week after end of season where RM will be told to walk. It was arranged weeks ago and my source, VERY high in the club, wanted it brought forward after wednesday but other board members thought it was rash with tomorrow being so close.

Edited by Kankurette

A guy on Reddit posted this. Don't know how true it is, but fingers crossed.

Chelsea fan here, come in peace, I have a decent source here in London who tells me Martinez will be sacked at the end of the season and there are only three people on the short-list. [/size](self.Everton)[/size]

submitted

14 hours ago

by RyRyLloyd

• Lucien Favre.
  • Paul Clement.
  • Roberto Mancini.
From what I was told, Favre is the favoured candidate as he's seen as not only a great coach, but a decent lad who'll get along with the squad. Everton board members find Clement to be one very good coach, and as for Manicni, he is "only considered an option".

Edit; since I have been asked on DM from a few asking what other information I have, I'll spill some beans. Aside from the usual Stones being wanted by Chelsea, City, United and Barca rumours (which are true), Everton have begun listing-up their midfield targets, which are;

• Lewis Cook.
  • Bernard of Shakhtar Donetsk.
  • Dennis Praet of Anderlecht.
  • Gokhan Tore (this is very unlikely to materialise.)
And another one:

Don't know about the links, as far as I know they're not yet in talks with any managers. Can confirm from an extremely reliable, (as in, as reliable as I'd put my mortgage on it) that there will be a board meeting week after end of season where RM will be told to walk. It was arranged weeks ago and my source, VERY high in the club, wanted it brought forward after wednesday but other board members thought it was rash with tomorrow being so close.

Good read but to be honest I did just go to the kitchen cupboard and get a bit of salt.

I don't think you need inside info at any club to know a manager is on the brink when his side are in free fall ( as a Chelsea fan you should know). That's just part of the game so I could spread gossip like that every day,

I will keep this post in mind though and might ( might ) owe you an apology if there does appear to be any truth behind your inside information ;-)

Edited by milesey05

I would be happy with Favre or Mancini.

On Bernard: he's a quality player, but at 5'5" I wonder how he'd adapt the PL.

Kante isn't massive, Silva, Ossie... He's a brilliant footballer, play it on the deck with him and he'll run rings around them!