IGNORED

Dominic Calvert-Lewin

Calvert Lewin is playing out of position in a team with at least half of the players having no future here. He's one for the future hence the 5 year contract - I'd sooner see him and Lookman on the pitch rather than Mirallas and Valencia. Lookman and Calvert Lewin should be back up to better players next season - then we'll see the best of them.

Calvert-Lewin is just a striker, he's bound to look poor anywhere else.

This is why he needs to go out on loan next season, and as a striker. Just being back-up here won't do him much good IMO, he needs to be playing more regularly than that.

If we develop him as a striker then I don't think anyone will be disappointed with that new contract - he looks to be very calm and a good finisher.

Calvert-Lewin is just a striker, he's bound to look poor anywhere else.

This is why he needs to go out on loan next season, and as a striker. Just being back-up here won't do him much good IMO, he needs to be playing more regularly than that.

If we develop him as a striker then I don't think anyone will be disappointed with that new contract - he looks to be very calm and a good finisher.

I don't necessarily think he even needs to go out on loan. Currently, we have good options deeper in midfielder with Davies, Gana and Schneiderlin - Barkley too (although he often plays higher) but nothing between this and the striker. This is why Lukaku is playing every second because we are so weak and predictable in this area. With better players there, we'd be less reliant on Lukaku (or whoever replaces him should he be sold) and this may help us give more time to DCL centrally.

I don't necessarily think he even needs to go out on loan. Currently, we have good options deeper in midfielder with Davies, Gana and Schneiderlin - Barkley too (although he often plays higher) but nothing between this and the striker. This is why Lukaku is playing every second because we are so weak and predictable in this area. With better players there, we'd be less reliant on Lukaku (or whoever replaces him should he be sold) and this may help us give more time to DCL centrally.

I'd much rather we signed a back-up (and first choice striker if Rom goes) that is ready to come in and do the business, instead of relying on someone still learning. He needs to do that learning elsewhere for me and then come back here when he's ready. That's if we're really serious about challenging.

I'd much rather we signed a back-up (and first choice striker if Rom goes) that is ready to come in and do the business, instead of relying on someone still learning. He needs to do that learning elsewhere for me and then come back here when he's ready. That's if we're really serious about challenging.

I want better and ready now with or without Rom but actually see DCL as a decent option in a better EFC team - maybe 3rd choice striker.

I want better and ready now with or without Rom but actually see DCL as a decent option in a better EFC team - maybe 3rd choice striker.

Is being third choice going to give him the amount of game time needed to properly aid his development though? I know we'll have extra games next season (if we get through EL qualifying of course!), but if he still wouldn't actually get on much in his favoured position then I'd rather he went out on loan and played more. I genuinely think he'll be a quality striker and just want him to have every opportunity to show that.

Is being third choice going to give him the amount of game time needed to properly aid his development though? I know we'll have extra games next season (if we get through EL qualifying of course!), but if he still wouldn't actually get on much in his favoured position then I'd rather he went out on loan and played more. I genuinely think he'll be a quality striker and just want him to have every opportunity to show that.

I think he'll get a lot of game time - granted some will be out wide but in a better EFC side he may have more freedom. I think Koeman will be able to buy players to allow him to play a few systems - we've seen the 5-3-2 used but injuries have hindered this in the tail end of the season. DCL would have been used in a 2 up top more this season had it not been for Mori and Coleman's injuries restricting our flexibility to go 5/4 at the back.

Equally, if he were to go out on loan and get guaranteed game time, I'd have no qualms. I do think he and Lookman will develop here though.

I think he'll get a lot of game time - granted some will be out wide but in a better EFC side he may have more freedom. I think Koeman will be able to buy players to allow him to play a few systems - we've seen the 5-3-2 used but injuries have hindered this in the tail end of the season. DCL would have been used in a 2 up top more this season had it not been for Mori and Coleman's injuries restricting our flexibility to go 5/4 at the back.

Equally, if he were to go out on loan and get guaranteed game time, I'd have no qualms. I do think he and Lookman will develop here though.

If he plays then I'll be happy for him to be here, it's only his development I'm concerned about.

The contract thing was based on appearances, the same with Davies. A lot of young players come in with a contract that says if you get X amount of games we put your wages up to £x, or you get an extra year or two on your deal, as incentives for these kids. Most of them never meet the target to get them, when a kid does it tends to pay for itself.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

It will be a few years before they reach their peak, but can you imagine DC-L, Lookman, and Sandro playing together?

Since DCL scored a goal in an under 20s final everyone hasn't stopped talking about him.

I remember 2 months ago when everybody said they don't know what RK sees in him.

Still not that confident of him coming good myself.

Edited by AidanLewis

Since DCL scored a goal in an under 20s final everyone hasn't stopped talking about him.

I remember 2 months ago when everybody said they don't know what RK sees in him.

This. It's quite ridiculous the number of U turns based on one goal.

Me, I have been in the "let's see if he's got it" and still am. He's still very raw & getting used to PL so it's impossible to say whether he will be good enough eventually or not.

Other than me. I always though he looked energetic and skilful on the ball. Love the way he likes to run at players too.