IGNORED

Weirdness Abounds (or the Idrissa Gana Gueye Thread)

• 2 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, MikeO said:

Interesting...

"Since the beginning of last (2017-18) season, Everton have played without Gana on 20 occasions. They’ve won just five of those games, with the wins coming against luminaries Rotherham, Sunderland, Lincoln City, Apollon Limassol, and Brighton. The Blues’ overall record when Gueye doesn’t play in the last two years is 5 wins, 11 losses, and 4 draws. If it wasn’t clear before, the numbers don’t lie - Idrissa Gueye makes Everton tick."

Can’t be true, with all that tackling and intercepting he does whilst being out of position....

27 minutes ago, Matt said:

That’s not over the odds, that’s still cheap. 

(Incoming neg from Pete and Co. in 5...4...)

i love gana, really do, one of my favorites but that's over the odds matt.  he's 29, players in his position drop off soon after 30, he relies on his high energy levels, speed and stamina.  all things that decline with age.  i love the man but he is no gareth barry (who played older because he was all about position and was always slow)

honestly at his age i'd say 30m would be a coup, i think he's worth probably 20-25 due to age.  45m is fuck off money, hence brands putting the price there.  30m id still be happy, anything less than that and i'd be mad we lost him.

20 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

i love gana, really do, one of my favorites but that's over the odds matt.  he's 29, players in his position drop off soon after 30, he relies on his high energy levels, speed and stamina.  all things that decline with age.

I remember some pundit or other saying "miles on the clock" was the reason for Wayne Rooney's relatively young decline and the fact that he'd started at the top level at sixteen and played something like 750 top flight/international games; Gana didn't play top flight in France until he was 20/21 and has roughly half the number of appearances. Shows absolutely no sign of slowing down to me, I'd be asking for €50m.

53 minutes ago, MikeO said:

Interesting...

"Since the beginning of last (2017-18) season, Everton have played without Gana on 20 occasions. They’ve won just five of those games, with the wins coming against luminaries Rotherham, Sunderland, Lincoln City, Apollon Limassol, and Brighton. The Blues’ overall record when Gueye doesn’t play in the last two years is 5 wins, 11 losses, and 4 draws. If it wasn’t clear before, the numbers don’t lie - Idrissa Gueye makes Everton tick."

What are the 11 games he's missed. As this season he's only missed 3 of which we lost 2; spurs and city. 

4 minutes ago, pete0 said:

What are the 11 games he's missed. As this season he's only missed 3 of which we lost 2; spurs and city. 

Was just quoting from the article, if you think he's got his facts wrong (as well as his opinion that "almost nobody in world football is as good as Gana is at what he does defensively") you'd need to take it up with him:).

27 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

i love gana, really do, one of my favorites but that's over the odds matt.  he's 29, players in his position drop off soon after 30, he relies on his high energy levels, speed and stamina.  all things that decline with age.  i love the man but he is no gareth barry (who played older because he was all about position and was always slow)

honestly at his age i'd say 30m would be a coup, i think he's worth probably 20-25 due to age.  45m is fuck off money, hence brands putting the price there.  30m id still be happy, anything less than that and i'd be mad we lost him.

I know where you’re coming from, but if they’re selling Cavani for £50m, we should be asking for every penny of it and take advantage of their desperation ;)

11 minutes ago, MikeO said:

I remember some pundit or other saying "miles on the clock" was the reason for Wayne Rooney's relatively young decline and the fact that he'd started at the top level at sixteen and played something like 750 top flight/international games; Gana didn't play top flight in France until he was 20/21 and has roughly half the number of appearances. Shows absolutely no sign of slowing down to me, I'd be asking for €50m.

Actually looking at the figures Rooney played 800+ games while Gana, even including his early years at Lille B, has just over 400.

10 minutes ago, Bailey said:

In the Premier League we have played 9 games without starting Gana in the last two seasons.

We beat Burnley (this season) and Brighton (last season).

We drew twice with West Brom and once with Liverpool.

We lost twice to Man City, and once with United and Spurs.

The season before we lost to Chelsea but beat City, Palace, Bournemouth and West Brom whilst drawing with Stoke.

I bet this post doesn't get as many likes 😃

Got a green for me for the research, but "the season before" clouds the issue does it not? It was his first for us and wasn't included in the stat in the first place so doesn't alter the point made by the dude who was talking about the last season and a half.

2 minutes ago, MikeO said:

Got a green for me for the research, but "the season before" clouds the issue does it not? It was his first for us and wasn't included in the stat in the first place so doesn't alter the point made by the dude who was talking about the last season and a half.

He only missed one match until the ACN in January (which I think was a suspension - Chelsea) so I'm not sure it has too much of an influence.

The cynic in me wonders why he didn't include the season before, nor mentions the teams we lost to in the league. He is a man after my own heart, using stats to fit his agenda 😂

13 hours ago, MikeO said:

You'd have to ask really nicely, wouldn't you. Could we be just a little bit more realistic here. €50m for a player that mostly does what we here call alibi-passing is hardly realistic, Mike. Have there been any other clubs asking/bidding on Gana?

4 hours ago, Sev said:

You'd have to ask really nicely, wouldn't you. Could we be just a little bit more realistic here. €50m for a player that mostly does what we here call alibi-passing is hardly realistic, Mike. Have there been any other clubs asking/bidding on Gana?

You'd have to ask Moshiri that, sadly he doesn't call me every day to keep me informed like Bill used to.

i Just pray Brands has something going on behind the scenes to replace him.. and get cover for that position. 

Weve seen what happens when he isn’t on the pitch, and it’s clear we have no back up for him. 

We should be going all out for cover/upgrade, not selling him. Especially in January... wait till the summer.

I’m not overly concerned about him leaving no surprises there I know, for me it would be a good opportunity to play a more expansive style of football, with the emphasis on good possession with the ball and moving it quicker with penetration plus we need 3 in the middle who have an understanding I have yet to see Gana strike up a good understanding with anyone he has played with in the way we saw with Barry and McCarthy, Sunday was another prime example we had a massive void in the middle of the park with Gana and Gomes nowhere near each other and Bournemouth were rampant in the first 35 minutes with no opposition from the middle.

whether he’s a good player or not for me is not the issue I don’t wish to get into that so no posting or reciting stats, he doesn’t fit for me he doesn’t make us look like a team or part of the team. 

4 minutes ago, Palfy said:

I’m not overly concerned about him leaving no surprises there I know, for me it would be a good opportunity to play a more expansive style of football, with the emphasis on good possession with the ball and moving it quicker with penetration plus we need 3 in the middle who have an understanding I have yet to see Gana strike up a good understanding with anyone he has played with in the way we saw with Barry and McCarthy, Sunday was another prime example we had a massive void in the middle of the park with Gana and Gomes nowhere near each other and Bournemouth were rampant in the first 35 minutes with no opposition from the middle.

whether he’s a good player or not for me is not the issue I don’t wish to get into that so no posting or reciting stats, he doesn’t fit for me he doesn’t make us look like a team or part of the team. 

Big fat red from me. I'm out.