IGNORED

Weirdness Abounds (or the Idrissa Gana Gueye Thread)

1 hour ago, Matt said:

Baines, Jags, Coleman we’re also ever (more or less) presents over the seasons that Gana has been here. So there is no common denominator that you speak of. 

Pete answered about the slob already

Yes to a small degree but they weren't involved with our midfield the 3 of them suffered because they had no protection from the midfield.

I can’t be the only one thinking that when Gana is supposedly out of position, chasing the ball down all over the pitch, that he is following instructions to try to win the ball back high up the pitch? Following his managers tactics, doing the job he has been given, and not just leaving a space behind him for no reason at all?

32 minutes ago, StevO said:

I can’t be the only one thinking that when Gana is supposedly out of position, chasing the ball down all over the pitch, that he is following instructions to try to win the ball back high up the pitch? Following his managers tactics, doing the job he has been given, and not just leaving a space behind him for no reason at all?

Half and half. For me its not so much up the field, its when he pulls wide to double team. Pressing forward when the team are in shape is fine but pressing wide and trying to double team a player means there is someone free and its usually through the middle.

You just have to weigh up whether winning the ball back is a greater risk than leaving someone else free. Im not sure Gana does weigh that decision up but I think managers do. 

4 hours ago, pete0 said:

That was to me Palfy. Still maintain we should've kept him a season longer. He would have given us a little stability and solid foundations for a better manager to build on the following year. Silva has come in and got Digne, Zouma, Richarlison, Bernard and Gomes yet is averaging no more points per game than Alladyce. People said fat Sam was only doing better than Koeman as he had Baines and Coleman, that same Coleman that most agree is a weak spot in the side and we've massively upgraded on a now leggy Baines. Crazy that the old manager is critised and forced out after 6 months with someone else's squad, yet the new manager with a much improved squad gets a free pass. 

That was to you I'll have to apologise to Matt and book myself into to Spec Savers.

Anyway going back to Allardyce I know what your getting at but some of the football we were playing was dreadful 10 men behind the ball and no good possession when we had the ball was doing me in, also he was playing to Gana's strengths which is why people think he's good because he was given more opportunities of trying to win the ball back that he couldn't fail to make his stats in that department look good, where as Silva doesn't want to camp in his own half he wants to play a more attacking expansive football which I like but doesn't suit Gana because he doesn't posses the skill set to play possession football he's becoming obsolete to our needs, we do need a ball winner but because we are keeping possession better we need a ball winner who has a lot more to offer so we can improve.

But we don't want an Allardyce he did what he was brought into do got his money and went, even though I don't think we needed him in the first place but Moshiri went for belt and braces to make sure we stayed up so I'm not going to knock him for that.

2 minutes ago, StevO said:

I hope not when you play with to wide men and an out and out attacking midfielder with your full backs pushing forward you can't have one of your to midfielders rampaging all over the field on a fools errand, your asking Gomes to cover to much ground and you can see how much it's effecting his game the poor guy is burning out and people think he's going off the boil, when what he needs is another midfielder who understands when to stay or go and can close the space down.

1 hour ago, StevO said:

exactly, if he was a headless chicken the manager would pull him fast, but he hasn't or the previous ones haven't.  he's played when fit.  don't worry though Ste, the naysayers will promote their conspiracy and tell you how man never landed on the moon and how gana is shit.

10 hours ago, pete0 said:

Tactics/managers? We've gone through three of them yet all with the same problem. Before Gana both Moyes and Martinez never had this issue and as go as far to say the only team in recent memory that did was the Aston Villa team that got relegated (at the time I thought it was the other lad in the middle for them that was their issue, sadly I was very wrong). 

Evolution of the game etc.? No other team in the league gets cut up through the middle as easy and often as us, the quality of chances we gift the opposition is criminal at this level and for three seasons now we have been the only team making it so easy through the middle. 

Your properly just making shit up now!

25 minutes ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

That's all just paper talk no approach been made I've always feared it would be, but the most interesting thing was the comments to the story from the Everton supporters all said take the money, and one commented he's just a runner anyway.

Could it be journalists and most of the people on here are completely swayed by meaningless stats rather than an eye for a player, PeteO Seve and myself aren't on our own with our views as most of you keep suggesting we are, I think I will have to do some more research into this on other forums to see how the fans are split.

9 hours ago, pete0 said:

The one who was gonna replace him. Even Silva has made no secret of wanting someone else. 

We've had three managers and there's one constant problem. If it's not Gana then what is the issue? 

Really????

How about 

Schniederlin

Walcott 

Coleman

Davies

Tosun

Niasse 

I could go on but you’ve got you’re head is up your arse on this so it’s pretty pointless 

He was the first name on the team sheet for the past 3 managers and Tuchel , one of the best managers in the world, wants him at PSG. The Villa fans loved him, the vast majority of blues rate him and the stats all stack up in his favour

But you think he’s the worst player to ever pull on an Everton shirt, it’s laughable really

2 minutes ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

Really????

How about 

Schniederlin

Walcott 

Coleman

Davies

Tosun

Niasse 

I could go on but you’ve got you’re head is up your arse on this so it’s pretty pointless 

He was the first name on the team sheet for the past 3 managers and Tuchel , one of the best managers in the world, wants him at PSG. The Villa fans loved him, the vast majority of blues rate him and the stats all stack up in his favour

But you think he’s the worst player to ever pull on an Everton shirt, it’s laughable really

He doesn't want him it's paper talk there has been no contact between the club's why would he want a middle distance runner, but I'd be over the moon if it was true.

6 minutes ago, Palfy said:

That's all just paper talk no approach been made I've always feared it would be, but the most interesting thing was the comments to the story from the Everton supporters all said take the money, and one commented he's just a runner anyway.

Could it be journalists and most of the people on here are completely swayed by meaningless stats rather than an eye for a player, PeteO Seve and myself aren't on our own with our views as most of you keep suggesting we are, I think I will have to do some more research into this on other forums to see how the fans are split.

Not a chance , people are saying take the money because £40M is a great deal for a 29 year old, not because he is shit

So I still reckon the journalists, ex-players, team mates, managers, pundits and the vast majority of Everonians are right and you 3 are wrong 

7 minutes ago, Palfy said:

He doesn't want him it's paper talk there has been no contact between the club's why would he want a middle distance runner, but I'd be over the moon if it was true.

Ha ha ha really, is that why he has his players all talking up a deal?

You don’t want to believe that a top manager at a top club wants him because it doesn’t fit in with your vendetta. It’s funny that you are willing to believe the papers that no contact has been made but so quick to disbelieve those same papers that there is interest🤷🏻‍♂️

No idea why he would want a middle distance runner, but a good footballer who is one of the best in the Premiership at what he does I can understand 

4 minutes ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

Ha ha ha really, is that why he has his players all talking up a deal?

You don’t want to believe that a top manager at a top club wants him because it doesn’t fit in with your vendetta. It’s funny that you are willing to believe the papers that no contact has been made but so quick to disbelieve those same papers that there is interest 🤷🏻‍♂️

Why would I have a vendetta against someone that what ever happens would make not a jot of difference to me personally? what I have is a view that he's not a good footballer trust me he's done nothing to me that would make me have a vendetta against him.

But on the issue of him leaving once again I hope the story is true but until we see something official it's just paper talk, so don't go believing everything you read in the papers people who did that voted Brexit.

52 minutes ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

Really????

How about 

Schniederlin

Walcott 

Coleman

Davies

Tosun

Niasse 

The problem was here before Walcott, and the only other regular is Coleman yet the problem was still evident when he was out injured. Don't know how you can blame 4 squad players on the bench for the Gana being out of position, are they pointing at him where to run? 

Guys why are you bothering?

Its getting daft now. You’ve got Palfy complaining in above post that when the full backs rampage forward Gana doesn’t offer cover as he’s all over the place,... then Bailey saying that Gana presses in the wrong places.... mainly helping the full backs. Then you have PeteO blaming him for pretty much everything that happens to Everton.

And apparently we have one of the worst midfields in the league and concede more chances than any other team.... but somehow Sky sports don’t notice that 😳 awkward!

Oh that’s right, I forgot, their stats are skewed and dont tell the full story .... yawn.

Actually no stats anywhere on the whole frocken internet notice these stats.

And these are three of the guys that apparently watch and notice him more than any others. 

I’m pretty sure they send each other PMs to keep the wind up going. That’s the only explanation surely?

Got it, you guys all apply to work for Sky for a fortune and once they realise they, along with pretty much all journalists and managers, have got it so wrong for so long..... you’ll be able to ask for a blank cheque! 

And they don't even agree with each other, according to Palfy Gana is "the best of a bad bunch" (best being the operative word) while for Pete he's "the worst player ever to wear the shirt" (worst being the operative word) so quite how the two consider themselves in the same camp is beyond me:dontknow:

It's like being in broken down car and someone moans about the fluffy dice and ignores the smoking engine. 

I've always said that gana is the least of our problems. He is by far.  

If the management can identify a player that can do more of the other stuff that gana doesn't do as well but retains his ball winning combativeness then maybe he will get a player that improves the sum of a other parts. 

At the age of 29 and for £40m it may be smart business.  Only if we replace him we though. 

27 minutes ago, MikeO said:

And they don't even agree with each other, according to Palfy Gana is "the best of a bad bunch" (best being the operative word) while for Pete he's "the worst player ever to wear the shirt" (worst being the operative word) so quite how the two consider themselves in the same camp is beyond me:dontknow:

Mike I'm my own man what PeteO says are his views and vice versa, unlike you and the rest of the mods who all agree in unison with when ever the first of you says something like an echo, I speak for myself and don't require the safety of a wingman or in your case men.

1 minute ago, Palfy said:

Mike I'm my own man what PeteO says are his views and vice versa, unlike you and the rest of the mods who all agree in unison with when ever the first of you says something like an echo, I speak for myself and don't require the safety of a wingman or in your case men.

That's just plain absurd, I speak for myself. Romey and Matt (most obvious example) disagree all the time.

I really resent the post because it's patently untrue and I wouldn't have expected such a daft response from an otherwise sensible contributor. Funniest part is suggesting that Mark goes with the flow, try telling him that.

Very disappointing mate and you've lost a lot of respect from me for it.

15 minutes ago, MikeO said:

That's just plain absurd, I speak for myself. Romey and Matt (most obvious example) disagree all the time.

I really resent the post because it's patently untrue and I wouldn't have expected such a daft response from an otherwise sensible contributor. Funniest part is suggesting that Mark goes with the flow, try telling him that.

Yes it was a shit thing to say now you know how it felt after you basically accused me of the same thing, what I said wasn't true as your accusation that I'm in some sort of packed with PeteO but we can't even get that right suggested.

I think you need to reflect on what you said if you found what I said so distasteful, because it was the insult just different wording.

2 minutes ago, Palfy said:

Yes it was a shit thing to say now you know how it felt after you basically accused me of the same thing, what I said wasn't true as your accusation that I'm in some sort of packed with PeteO but we can't even get that right suggested.

I think you need to reflect on what you said if you found what I said so distasteful, because it was the insult just different wording.

I pointed out a fact, you responded with a fantasy, 'nuff said.

2 minutes ago, MikeO said:

I pointed out a fact, you responded with a fantasy, 'nuff said.

Rubbish you tried to suggest we were as one but couldn't even agree, that's because we are not in cahoots together, when I say something I speak for myself and no one else and if anyone tries to speak for me they do it without my consent, I found what you said insulting so gave you a taste of your own medicine but from your response you can give it but you can't take it. I always find if you don't want to be insulted it helps to not insult others.

8 hours ago, MikeO said:

That’s because Romey is wrong all the time ;) 

Guys I’m the one who started this with what was meant to be a bit of sarcastic fun that’s all. 

Il sure Palfy, PeteO and Bailey know I do it for fun and it’s nothing personal as I often agree with all three of them (in other threads 😉) many times. 

People are responding to the comments I have made and as often with my.... not very well thought out comments, I seem to start a war haha.

What we can all agree on though.... is that Gana’s great!!! An Everton hero, legend and will go down in folklore! 

14 hours ago, pete0 said:

The problem was here before Walcott, and the only other regular is Coleman yet the problem was still evident when he was out injured. Don't know how you can blame 4 squad players on the bench for the Gana being out of position, are they pointing at him where to run? 

So we spent £25m on a squad player in Schneiderlin did we? What did Gana cost? Who still gets a game? Who represents the better value? 

3 hours ago, nogs said:

So we spent £25m on a squad player in Schneiderlin did we? What did Gana cost? Who still gets a game? Who represents the better value? 

More points than any outfield player before him, and Schneiderlin inadvertently played a part in McCarthy breaking his leg. We'd have been better off had we not signed either of them, kept Barry for another year and brought in upgrades or at least players that come close to the quality of Barry and McCarthy.