IGNORED

Jordan Pickford

17 minutes ago, Cornish Steve said:

So did van Dijk, but he got me zero points in Fantasy.

Ridiculous pick, MOTD commentator after City's second goal in the 36th minute, "Liverpool haven't looked right at the back pretty much all game, and there's a huge error, just too casual after defending that first ball in...."

But saint Virgil still selected.

• 3 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, dunlopp9987 said:

Remember when Pickford was the biggest scapegoat on the team? Arguably been our most important player this season

To be fair he is almost unrecognisable from the young lad he was at this stage.

Showed his ability today but also his maturity. That’s as good a performance you’ll see from a keeper.

The only thing I will say is that I never seen him overcoming the mental prison he placed himself in.  Let’s be clear - it was sheer stupidity…. Engaging with two of the biggest shithouse fan bases in Liverpool and Newcastle messed his focus up.

he and the people around him deserve credit for helping him with that. 

36 minutes ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

Remember when people wanted him out of the club ? 
Hopefully we stay up and thats the last nail in that coffin, dare I say it but Neville Southall would have been proud of that performance today 

Unfortunately Dunc…. When you have a good period it doesn’t transport peoples memories back in time to when they got deserved criticism and replace with a more favourable version.

Fortunately - he and the people around him have pulled his shit together.   Let’s not try and make out he wasn’t massively underperforming. Maybe having a credible number 2 has helped.

either way this was his best performance in an Everton shirt by a long way.  Well done JP

4 hours ago, Btay said:

To be fair he is almost unrecognisable from the young lad he was at this stage.

Showed his ability today but also his maturity. That’s as good a performance you’ll see from a keeper.

Yea I mean I think most people have been fair with Jordan. He was indeed error prone and inconsistent  two seasons ago. Rightly a lot of people were thinking we might need to make a change. To his credit, he’s matured and been a steady leader the last two years.

This won’t tell all but it is worth noting in 2020 he was credited as making  5 errors that lead to goals. The last two seasons he’s made 3 (1 this year).

In a funny coincidence he’s improved ever since he’s gone to an adult haircut. 

14 hours ago, Hafnia said:

Unfortunately Dunc…. When you have a good period it doesn’t transport peoples memories back in time to when they got deserved criticism and replace with a more favourable version.

Fortunately - he and the people around him have pulled his shit together.   Let’s not try and make out he wasn’t massively underperforming. Maybe having a credible number 2 has helped.

either way this was his best performance in an Everton shirt by a long way.  Well done JP

I’m not saying he was above criticism or that he was not under performing , my point was that too many people completely wrote him off when he was essentially just a kid in goalkeeping terms 

That save after it hit both posts gets better with every watch, and I can't stop watching it :lol:.

It's definitely the best save I've ever seen live. Before that it was probably Howard's against Southampton where it's going over his head and he somehow manages to scramble back and scoop it away from goal just as it's about to drop over the line.

14 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

That save after it hit both posts gets better with every watch, and I can't stop watching it :lol:.

The astonishing thing is that he almost over-runs it, so while he's moving at speed towards his left he has reach almost behind him to his right, you'll not see many better saves than that imo.

Jimmy Montgomery v Leeds in the 1973 FA Cup final and Banks from Pele in Mexico 1970 are the two greatest saves I've ever seen, but those two aside I'm struggling to think of anything better. Southall at White Hart Lane in 1985 possibly on a par.

1 minute ago, MikeO said:

The astonishing thing is that he almost over-runs it, so while he's moving at speed towards his left he has reach almost behind him to his right, you'll not see many better saves than that imo.

I noticed that when I first got a chance to see it on a replay. Astonishing sums it up perfectly.

3 hours ago, Heath said:

Can't believe there are people debating whether or not Pickford should be Englands 1st choice keeper. 

With the form he is in at the moment he is proving to his detractors what most Evertonians have known for a while and some of those outside the club are now starting to sit up and take notice and give him the credit he deserves.