IGNORED

Jordan Pickford

• 3 weeks later...

One of the biggest reasons for Pickford's criticism was his behaviour aligned to his mistakes.  Pulling tongues, laughing, preceding them by getting drawn in by fans, arguing with defenders when he was at fault for erratic behaviour....

It creates dislike.  Holgate is likely going to get the same dislike if he carries on apathetically making mistakes and trying his best to look "not arsed".

I honestly think Pickford looks like he's had some serious work done on him.... Life coaching, bollocking or whatever but he has to take credit for this part of his improvement.  His kicking has been fucking sensational - one of the big things he was bought for looks like it's back in play.  The way he carries himself.

Ill accept the odd error as long as it looks like it bothers him as much as it bothers us - maybe the arrival of Olsen really has made him knuckle down. 

23 minutes ago, Hafnia said:

One of the biggest reasons for Pickford's criticism was his behaviour aligned to his mistakes.  Pulling tongues, laughing, preceding them by getting drawn in by fans, arguing with defenders when he was at fault for erratic behaviour....

It creates dislike.  Holgate is likely going to get the same dislike if he carries on apathetically making mistakes and trying his best to look "not arsed".

I honestly think Pickford looks like he's had some serious work done on him.... Life coaching, bollocking or whatever but he has to take credit for this part of his improvement.  His kicking has been fucking sensational - one of the big things he was bought for looks like it's back in play.  The way he carries himself.

Ill accept the odd error as long as it looks like it bothers him as much as it bothers us - maybe the arrival of Olsen really has made him knuckle down. 

I agree, his general concentration and attitude (if that the right word) looks a better now than it did last season and the beginning of this. 

All keepers make mistakes - it happens to them all.  He has definitely reduced the number of mistakes, particularly the 'head in your hands' glaring mistakes that he was beginning to get an unwanted reputation for. 

Of late he is coming out of game with us taking about good saves and good kicking and distribution, rather than fook ups. he is definitely taking less risks with the ball at his feet. If the pass isn't on and are opposition closing very fast - there is no shame in putting it in the stands if needs must.  

If these types of performances continue and become the norm then he becomes an asset in our quest for regular top 4/6 finishes. 

1 hour ago, Palfy said:

If you’ve ever suffered cracked ribs you’ll know that win you think you’re healed you’ll make the slightest awkward moment and bang your back to square one, it can take months to truly heal. 

Many moons ago I did a martial art belt grading with a cracked rib, it was full contact and I got a massive kick to the chest in my last fight, managed to get through it just being ultra defensive. Because of that I was "borderline" to pass but in those cases they asked your instructor if you were "worthy" so I squeezed it. Extremely painful though.

22 minutes ago, MikeO said:

Many moons ago I did a martial art belt grading with a cracked rib, it was full contact and I got a massive kick to the chest in my last fight, managed to get through it just being ultra defensive. Because of that I was "borderline" to pass but in those cases they asked your instructor if you were "worthy" so I squeezed it. Extremely painful though.

Don’t think I’ll be arguing with you anytime soon master😅

11 minutes ago, Palfy said:

Don’t think I’ll be arguing with you anytime soon master😅

It was a long time ago, came in very useful one time in Chelmsford though, got jumped by three guys (no idea why) and they didn't lay a glove on me, they ran away when they realised I wasn't an easy touch. Bloody Essex boys.

21 minutes ago, dunlopp9987 said:

Virginia didn't look comfortable at all against Burnley. And that's against Burnley. Imagine he'll be shitting bricks going up against one of the best attacking teams in the world

Can't agree with that; any sportsman in any sport should want to test themselves against the best, and there are endless examples of "lesser" players/teams raising their game to compete and win well above their expected level. On a much lower level obviously but I was the "underdog" many times in my sporting life and loved being there, I often upset the odds. Lack of expectation frees you up (happened to me in reverse more than once though I have to say, which is less fun).

21 minutes ago, MikeO said:

Can't agree with that; any sportsman in any sport should want to test themselves against the best, and there are endless examples of "lesser" players/teams raising their game to compete and win well above their expected level. On a much lower level obviously but I was the "underdog" many times in my sporting life and loved being there, I often upset the odds. Lack of expectation frees you up (happened to me in reverse more than once though I have to say, which is less fun).

I reckon he'll be really pumped up. How often does a young keeper starting out get the chance to play against arguably the best team in the world right now?

• 4 weeks later...