IGNORED

Jordan Pickford

The saying as a keeper is that anything inside the 6 yard box is yours. 

That phrase was coined before these fancy new balls came in that dip and curve all over the shop. 

Without seeing the ball in again its hard to tell. Based on that clip alone its 50/50. 

Defenders should still be doing their job as well though.

6 minutes ago, Bailey said:

The saying as a keeper is that anything inside the 6 yard box is yours. 

That phrase was coined before these fancy new balls came in that dip and curve all over the shop. 

Without seeing the ball in again its hard to tell. Based on that clip alone its 50/50. 

Defenders should still be doing their job as well though.

Why do the likes of de gea and allison command their areas? It's nonsense - they play with the same balls.

If the player never headed it at him it was a goal.... you simply can't let balls into the 6 yard box as a keeper. 

He lacks presence. 

48 minutes ago, hafnia said:

Why do the likes of de gea and allison command their areas? It's nonsense - they play with the same balls.

If the player never headed it at him it was a goal.... you simply can't let balls into the 6 yard box as a keeper. 

He lacks presence. 

Agree haf Alison looks a contender to be best goalkeeper in the league. We know Jordan is short in goalkeeping standards maybe that’s why Mina and Zouma were brought in. I think he is suffering from confidence even though he makes out he is mentally strong. Let’s not forget he is a baby. Twenty four or so. He’s going to be a top top goalie

2 hours ago, hafnia said:

He lacks presence. 

I would argue Pickford is more commanding that De Gea. Pickford claims a lot more too rather than punches. I find De Gea gets stuck to his line a lot more than the other elite keepers, but he has played under Moyes, LVG and Mourinho recently so its not like he has been asked to play as more of a sweeper keeper.

I havent seen anywhere near enough of Allison to comment about his ability aerial ability. 

I can tell you for a fact though that De Gea, Allison and whoever else you want to through into the conversation do not claim or even try and claim every ball that comes into the 6 yard box. Its fine if its a floaty, chipped ball. Its easy to predict the flight, there are less variables. When you have a ball whipped in with pace and bend, your decision making time is far shorter, its a damn site easier to misread the flight because these balls can start one way then 'swing' the other depending on how they are struck. They dont just curve on the same plane, they dip and rise too, especially at that level. 

I just feel like this is becoming your new Lukaku. 

The full clip of the goal is on Youtube btw. 

Watching again, the ball is an inswinger with a bit of late dip. If he was going to take the ball above everyone else, he would probably be outside the 6 yard box and he would have to cover a fair bit of ground pretty sharpish. The ball is actually quite low when it gets to the player, not where you want a keeper collecting the ball. 

His positioning is spot on, he makes the save but no-one reacts. 

The main culprits are Siggy and Kenny. Kenny plays them on and Siggy just leaves his man (the one that makes the header). Mina and Zouma are marking different players but cant get there.

The clip is 4.52 long and its hosted by Everton Football Club on Youtube. If you pause at 4.32 the ball is already a bit lower than you would want Pickford to collect it at.

4.11 is the first view where you can see Siggy doing God knows what.

I would post screenshots but the size is too big.

48 minutes ago, Bailey said:

I would argue Pickford is more commanding that De Gea. Pickford claims a lot more too rather than punches. I find De Gea gets stuck to his line a lot more than the other elite keepers, but he has played under Moyes, LVG and Mourinho recently so its not like he has been asked to play as more of a sweeper keeper.

I havent seen anywhere near enough of Allison to comment about his ability aerial ability. 

I can tell you for a fact though that De Gea, Allison and whoever else you want to through into the conversation do not claim or even try and claim every ball that comes into the 6 yard box. Its fine if its a floaty, chipped ball. Its easy to predict the flight, there are less variables. When you have a ball whipped in with pace and bend, your decision making time is far shorter, its a damn site easier to misread the flight because these balls can start one way then 'swing' the other depending on how they are struck. They dont just curve on the same plane, they dip and rise too, especially at that level. 

I just feel like this is becoming your new Lukaku. 

I'll see your lukaku and raise you a Gana.

The ball wasn't a beckham dipping swerve or whatever it is that you say it is to justify him staying rooted.... it was a decent floated ball not hit with any real pace that flew along it's expected trajectory. 

I have no agenda against the lad... I just don't see what all the fuss is about. 

For the record pickford has the second lowest number of punches and 3rd lowest number of high claims.  Allison has the lowest number of high claims but 3rd highest number of punches.... that's even with Liverpool having far less to deal with at the back. 

He isn'tt commanding of his area at all. 

13 hours ago, hafnia said:

I'll see your lukaku and raise you a Gana.

The ball wasn't a beckham dipping swerve or whatever it is that you say it is to justify him staying rooted.... it was a decent floated ball not hit with any real pace that flew along it's expected trajectory. 

I have no agenda against the lad... I just don't see what all the fuss is about. 

For the record pickford has the second lowest number of punches and 3rd lowest number of high claims.  Allison has the lowest number of high claims but 3rd highest number of punches.... that's even with Liverpool having far less to deal with at the back. 

He isn'ttt commanding of his area at all. 

Haha nothing can top your agenda with Lukaku. He hasnt played for us for 2 years and you are still harping on.

The video shows it was an inswinging ball not floated. 

Those stats are irrelevant without some further information. "Having less to deal with at the back" isnt really quantifiable.

12 hours ago, sibdane said:

Y'all are both fucking up. @Bailey was/is a keeper, so will always side with the keeper. @hafnia hates Rom, so his opinion doesn't matter. 

Just kidding, guys. 

#keepersunion 😂

3 hours ago, Bailey said:

Haha nothing can top your agenda with Lukaku. He hasnt played for us for 2 years and you are still harping on.

The video shows it was an inswinging ball not floated. 

Those stats are irrelevant without some further information. "Having less to deal with at the back" isnt really quantifiable.

#keepersunion 😂

You were the one who brought up lukaku....  If it wasn't for the likes of yourself telling me lukaku would be world class and he would sort his touch out etc for 4 years then it wouldn't take w years for me to revel in it.

Pickford had more than enough time to take the steps to punch that ball away.   Just pretend his name is gana... I'm sure you'll be able to apportion blame. 

24 minutes ago, hafnia said:

You were the one who brought up lukaku....  If it wasn't for the likes of yourself telling me lukaku would be world class and he would sort his touch out etc for 4 years then it wouldn't take w years for me to revel in it.

Pickford had more than enough time to take the steps to punch that ball away.   Just pretend his name is gana... I'm sure you'll be able to apportion blame. 

What exactly are you revelling in? Last season Lukaku left us and won Europa, whereas our top goal scorer was Rooney on 10 and we had one of our worst seasons of football in my lifetime. 

52 minutes ago, hafnia said:

I feel like I touched a nerve...

1 hour ago, Bailey said:

I feel like I touched a nerve...

Not at all... just a bit of a hypocrite alert you calling me for lukaku when you spend paragraphs slating gana....  won 5 games without him out of 20.

I get it... pickford is doing us a favour by playing for us like Rom was.... those glory boys should be getting all the plaudits in the world and their misgivings ignored for a few YouTube moments. 

4 minutes ago, hafnia said:

Not at all... just a bit of a hypocrite alert you calling me for lukaku when you spend paragraphs slating gana....  won 5 games without him out of 20.

I get it... pickford is doing us a favour by playing for us like Rom was.... those glory boys should be getting all the plaudits in the world and their misgivings ignored for a few YouTube moments. 

Yeh paragraphs not threads 😜

I don't go into the Gana thread to lay into Gana, I go into that thread to challenge people's comments. You know, because he is still an Everton player and he (rightly) plays most weeks, good or bad.

That last line is your own narrative. If you make a comment about any player I disagree with enough then I will challenge it. Your comments in this instance are naive and clearly show that you think goalkeeping is black and white.

8 minutes ago, Bailey said:

Yeh paragraphs not threads 😜

I don't go into the Gana thread to lay into Gana, I go into that thread to challenge people's comments. You know, because he is still an Everton player and he (rightly) plays most weeks, good or bad.

That last line is your own narrative. If you make a comment about any player I disagree with enough then I will challenge it. Your comments in this instance are naive and clearly show that you think goalkeeping is black and white.

I know enough about goalkeeping to know that practically horizontal balls in the 6 yard box get punched or caught.  Fuck all to do with naive bailey... I grew up watching the best keeper most in here either seen or were unlucky not to see in the flesh.... cos the highlights on YouTube do fuck all to justify his greatness.

I certainly know what Southall would have done.... caught it one handed.  Yeah.... he used to do ridiculous shit like that. 

5 minutes ago, hafnia said:

I know enough about goalkeeping to know that practically horizontal balls in the 6 yard box get punched or caught.  Fuck all to do with naive bailey... I grew up watching the best keeper most in here either seen or were unlucky not to see in the flesh.... cos the highlights on YouTube do fuck all to justify his greatness.

I certainly know what Southall would have done.... caught it one handed.  Yeah.... he used to do ridiculous shit like that. 

I know we should aspire to greatness, but to expect Pickford to be Southalls level is like expecting Keane to be Brian Labone. 

8 minutes ago, hafnia said:

1. It wasn't practically horizontal.

2. Watching great keepers doesn't mean anything. Every situation is different. That's also a line Neville comes out with a lot about Schmeichel when analysing keepers and Southall has disagreed with him about Pickford in the past.

3. Jesus, comparing Pickford to Neville is a bit of a stretch. If he ends up being as quarter as good as Southall we have a player on our hand. Southall was my idol growing up, I loved the fella and tried to emulate his later year physique. Unfortunately the game has changed massively since those days though, both in the way teams defend and then more importantly the ball. I can assure you he wouldn't be plucking the ball out of the air with one hand these days!

Anyway I'm done, we aren't going to agree. Have a good evening.

27 minutes ago, StevO said:

I know we should aspire to greatness, but to expect Pickford to be Southalls level is like expecting Keane to be Brian Labone. 

Not expecting pickford to be Southall.... I'm explaining that watching Southall from a young age taught you what was what. 

21 hours ago, hafnia said:

I know enough about goalkeeping to know that practically horizontal balls in the 6 yard box get punched or caught.

21 hours ago, hafnia said:

I certainly know what Southall would have done.... caught it one handed

May I refer the jury to the corner at 1:12, the cross at 2:29, the attack at 4.14.

On a serious note though, what a f*cking keeper.

44 minutes ago, Bailey said:

May I refer the jury to the corner at 1:12, the cross at 2:29, the attack at 4.14.

On a serious note though, what a f*cking keeper.

1.12.... he was going for the cross and immediately the second he seen it was falling way short of near post adjusted himself to get in the right spot.

The cross on 2.29 was barely 6 yard box...swinging out too. 

The cross on 4.14 he actually did go for it but it looped over him. 

Absolutely no way would Southall have let pickfords go without challenging.  Silva has even indicated that he would speak to pickford about it. 

19 hours ago, Matt said:

Wow... comparing one of the greats of a completely different era, gameplay and technology wise, with a developing keeper. 

Sad, but not the first time 

Shut up matt... not like you to exaggerate.

Where did I compare Southall to Pickford??? Nowhere... that's where 

My ability to judge a goalkeepers decisions was brought into question..  I stated that having grown up watching Southall with a keen eye that I had a good idea.... did you intentionally ignore that in order to say I compared pickford to Southall? 

If pickford is lucky he may get to 70% of Nigel Martyn level

1 hour ago, hafnia said:

Shut up matt... not like you to exaggerate.

Where did I compare Southall to Pickford??? Nowhere... that's where 

My ability to judge a goalkeepers decisions was brought into question..  I stated that having grown up watching Southall with a keen eye that I had a good idea.... did you intentionally ignore that in order to say I compared pickford to Southall? 

If pickford is lucky he may get to 70% of Nigel Martyn level

It reads very much like a comparison, you might not have said something as straight forward as you might think, but I’d be shocked if anyone didn’t think you were making a comparison. 

No need to get so wound up about it though. 

1 hour ago, StevO said:

It reads very much like a comparison, you might not have said something as straight forward as you might think, but I’d be shocked if anyone didn’t think you were making a comparison. 

No need to get so wound up about it though. 

Not wound up as such - more exasperated at supposedly intelligent lads actually saying I was comparing pickford to Southall....  "sad but not the first time"  ffs have a word. 

Read it back.... it's clearly a case of me  defending the accusation from bailey that I am naive in my understanding of goalkeeping....  I seen the gold standard with my own eyes and stated that as the case.... and that Southall never let balls fly into the 6 yard box like that.  For me if Southall didn't allow that to happen then it's with good reason.... just like most keepers don't and a Jordan Pickford with his head screwed on wouldn't either.

Tom Davies needs to buy himself some fan repellent from Gomes and Pickford. 

1 hour ago, hafnia said:

Not wound up as such - more exasperated at supposedly intelligent lads actually saying I was comparing pickford to Southall....  "sad but not the first time"  ffs have a word. 

Read it back.... it's clearly a case of me  defending the accusation from bailey that I am naive in my understanding of goalkeeping....  I seen the gold standard with my own eyes and stated that as the case.... and that Southall never let balls fly into the 6 yard box like that.  For me if Southall didn't allow that to happen then it's with good reason.... just like most keepers don't and a Jordan Pickford with his head screwed on wouldn't either.

Tom Davies needs to learn how to play football. 

12 hours ago, hafnia said:

It’s not how it read. It read like you’ve seen the best and you’re then saying Pickford makes mistakes Southall wouldn’t. That is a comparison, intended or not, and it’s not the first time you’ve compared a younger player with promise with one of our greats.

So calm down and fuck off yourself with “supposedly intelligent”. 

Not that anyone's making comparisons but at Jordan's age Nev was loaned to Port Vale (4th division) for two months after a 5-0 derby loss at Goodison; he only played the last four games of the 82/83 season for us due to first choice Jim Arnold being injured. Start of 83/84 (older than Jordan is now) he was still second choice behind Arnold, only taking over as number one in October, the rest is history (curiously Jim Arnold was sold to Port Vale, his last act in an Everton shirt was sitting on the bench in Rotterdam).

Not going to make a comment on these facts, just putting them out there.