IGNORED

Wayne Rooney

• 4 weeks later...

Wayne Rooney was a supposed ''bad egg'' in an era that was riddled with incompetence from Koeman, Walsh and Allardyce. Even though I don't think he would have dragged us to a league title I do think Wayne still had a lot to give in an Everton shirt and despite the deal to sell him being a good one financially for the club, I would rather he stayed at Goodison as part of the squad. A great figure to have in the dressing room and a presence on the pitch, he managed 11 goals in a season that we were absolutely shite which speaks volumes (especially when you consider he played in the centre of midfield). 

It's no surprise that he's head and shoulders above most in the MLS for DC United, I just hope that he comes back in a coaching capacity once his time in the US is up. 

Any excuse to post the above video too, had a great view of it in the ground and was blown away. Take a bow. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

From an SBI (American soccer journal) article:

The 34-year-old has registered 23 goals and 14 assists in 43 appearances across two seasons. Rooney’s arrival last season helped spark the club to an Eastern Conference playoff berth and also a current fourth-place spot in the current league table. Although he’s leaving the club after the season, Rooney will become a club ambassador for D.C. United.

“I remain fully focused on giving my all for the team for the rest of this season and repaying the support shown by the Black-and-Red faithful by hopefully delivering an MLS Cup to Audi Field,” Rooney said. “My time in Major League Soccer is something I will always be proud of. The supporters in the Screaming Eagles, Barra Brava, and District Ultras have made my time in America so enjoyable.

“While the decision to move home was a tough one, family is everything to us and we make this change to be closer to the ones we love back in England. The opportunity to go back home and start the next step of my career in coaching was the factor that made my mind up.”

11 minutes ago, Sibdane said:

Makes the whole Rooney move feel tainted.

1 hour ago, MikeO said:

Naughty, very questionable this.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49265227

Definitely... Its the type of stunt that will lead to all gambling businesses to be banned from shirt / club advertising and sponsorship. There is always someone who will take it too far.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

Still hurts how his return to Everton went, I wanted it to be much more than what it was but I guess for a few reasons it just wasn't meant to be. I can remember Rooney leaving as a young kid and seeing him back was amazing - after a debut (winning) goal against Stoke I dared to dream. 

I think in the right system Wayne could have had a few more years with us. He was never going to be the monster he was at United, but could have been pretty useful nevertheless. 

To reply to @Romey 1878 too, for me Rooney was a player that would be world-class in short bursts, hence why he wouldn't be someone that would keep you on the edge of your seat. He wouldn't dribble past 3-4 players like Messi, but would pop up with goals out of nowhere, like the volley against Newcastle and the overhead against City to blow people's minds and win games. 

I had the heads up about him long before his debut (I think a few of us did) at the time we were desperate for anyone who could inject quality in the side as we had relied on Duncan for years.

When he arrived I couldn't believe how good he was, like a genetic freak... How could a 16/17 year old be that strong, physically mature, but run so fast and above all handle himself physically, mentally, be technically so natursl and be the focal point of a team and look like he was already one of the best players in the world...... Im not exaggerating - at 17 he was closer to being the best player in the world as he was when he was 25.

Some tactical hipsters may say he was a better player when he was 25/26.... I'd disagree.  At 25 most players are tactically better, but that often comes at a cost of their own enjoyment of the game and for me Rooney was at his best when he played the game as if he was in the park.  He had that at Everton.

Don't get me wrong, his floor was far lower than it should have been, I recall a league game against Charlton when a young Scott Parker was playing (we were linked with him) and Parker was the stand out player.... Rooney could barely trap the ball that game.

Either way, he remains the best 17 year old footballer I've seen.  When he emerged our club was a complete shit show and that was not Rooney's fault...

Should he have left??? I think the liars at the club who were constantly feeding the fans bullshit know the answer to that more than we will ever know.  I still can't imagine why his family who are massive blues and Rooney himself would have been ok with him leaving unless the club really was in the shit.

Personally we should have leveraged the fact we had one of the world's best players and attracted the investment to keep him. Instead we got 70% of his value and first pick of players United didn't want anymore.

The Barometer for me at the time was Drogba, £27m for a French league player who was unproven in our league and 10 years older than Rooney.  .... Rooney was already England's most important player as we witnessed in the Euro's.  I maintain to this day his deal should have been £40m minimum

I actually got to play against him in a 5 a side before he broke through. Uncle worked at a community service and he was playing there with my 2 cousins who were also on the youth books. Even though I was 2 years older (still am :lol:) the lad was just massive but unbelievably nimble. Not long after he scored that goal and it took me a while to realise I’d been playing with the lad not long before! 

18 minutes ago, Matt said:

I actually got to play against him in a 5 a side before he broke through. Uncle worked at a community service and he was playing there with my 2 cousins who were also on the youth books. Even though I was 2 years older (still am :lol:) the lad was just massive but unbelievably nimble. Not long after he scored that goal and it took me a while to realise I’d been playing with the lad not long before! 

That's a story, how good was he or did he take it easy?  

Heard loads of stories of him hitting balls through the windows of tractors whilst moving (Antony Gerrard).  Hitting specific parts of the cross bar (underside, top side) from 40 yards with England... Pure talent

1 hour ago, Hafnia said:

That's a story, how good was he or did he take it easy?  

Heard loads of stories of him hitting balls through the windows of tractors whilst moving (Antony Gerrard).  Hitting specific parts of the cross bar (underside, top side) from 40 yards with England... Pure talent

You know when you’re a dad and you wind the kids up by running circles around them and doing tricks whilst holding your coffee and chatting to your family?

• 6 months later...