IGNORED

Liverpool Derby (Away) Saturday April 1st

markjazzbassist

Really disappointed with the lads today. They really shot themselves down. No where near the levels they have reached recently.

Too many loose touches, loose passes, bad tackles. Poor movement. Poor positioning. We beat ourselves. Liverpool just finished us off.

We choked. Simple as that, we choked.

Really disappointed with the lads today. They really shot themselves down. No where near the levels they have reached recently.

Too many loose touches, loose passes, bad tackles. Poor movement. Poor positioning. We beat ourselves. Liverpool just finished us off.

We choked. Simple as that, we choked.

All of this.

Bad today, very bad, and a referee at their place has done us at least a couple of favours. Bizarre.

They didn't play amazing by any stretch but we didnt force them too, its similar to the spurs game away where we have started off the game as if waiting to see how good the opposition are playing before finding our feet, too late again.

Fans will point to Coleman and Schneiderlin being out, but that doesnt explain why Lukaku and especially Barkley played so woefully, Mirallas is made for these types of games yet barely gets a sniff, cant fault Robles today, bad day at the office and we'll do well to keep clear in seventh.

Poor!

Ah right.... ok fair enough Rom. I excuse you from not bothering to jump with lovren for any headers or to even go shoulder to shoulder with him.

As for closing the defenders down dont worry about that either- you just wait for the other 10 lads to sort their shit out.

Very much Belgium vs Italy for me this.... very much.

He did and he did it often.

I'm not saying Lukaku is running round the pitch chasing the ball and I wouldn't want him to but when you have one of the best finishers in the league and you can't provide him with one chance, not even a half chance then that tells you what you need to know. Every time he doesn't get get a kick you come on here like a keyboard warrior blaming him for everything.

No one here is saying he played well but you single him out as if he is the one costing us the game when he could have been playing for another 2 days and the team wouldn't create anything for him to feed off.

The truth is we don't create many chances and without Lukaku putting them away we would have far less points that we have now.

On the other hand we leave Origi 1 v 1 on half a dozen occasions because we are all over the place.

Jags and Holgate can come out of it with a bit of pride. The others were a waste of space.

I don't even know where Joel was today but he wasn't in goal.

Felt sorry for Pennington being thrown in if I'm honest. Holgate should've been as part of the three if that was the way we were going.

Williams would've been a great clown at a kids birthday party today. Oh and thanks for getting yourself a definite ban when we've got defensive problems. Dick head.

Baines was ok.

Davies was very poor. He offered nothing next to Gana other than being embarrassingly easy to get around.

Gana was shit himself like. Offered zero protection for the defence. Up there with his worst games for us.

Barkley... I thought Derby games meant more to scousers? We should check his birth certificate after that abject showing.

DCL tried hard but he just wasn't up to it. Not enough ability at this moment in time and nowhere near enough strength.

Lukaku had less than nothing to work with but when that's the case he has to do more for himself. He didn't.

Manager got it wrong today massively

To big a game too soon for Pennington, we should have started with a back four and Barry sat in front and Lookman and Kev on either side to spread their midfield

Typically piss poor performance but I'll give Holgate his due he held his own as did Gana for the majority of the game

Jags and Holgate can come out of it with a bit of pride. The others were a waste of space.

I don't even know where Joel was today but he wasn't in goal.

Felt sorry for Pennington being thrown in if I'm honest. Holgate should've been as part of the three if that was the way we were going.

Williams would've been a great clown at a kids birthday party today. Oh and thanks for getting yourself a definite ban when we've got defensive problems. Dick head.

Baines was ok.

Davies was very poor. He offered nothing next to Gana other than being embarrassingly easy to get around.

Gana was shit himself like. Offered zero protection for the defence. Up there with his worst games for us.

Barkley... I thought Derby games meant more to scousers? We should check his birth certificate after that abject showing.

DCL tried hard but he just wasn't up to it. Not enough ability at this moment in time and nowhere near enough strength.

Lukaku had less than nothing to work with but when that's the case he has to do more for himself. He didn't.

We must have seen a different game in some cases. Jags was terrible today. All over the place until the switch to a back 4.

Davies was probably my MOTM, he seemed to be the only one able to get his foot in and make a pass after it. Always available for a pass when others were standing round watching the ball.

I don't know what else you expected Joel to do though. Made a great save for the only one he could get to.

The rest I agree with.

He did and he did it often.

I'm not saying Lukaku is running round the pitch chasing the ball and I wouldn't want him to but when you have one of the best finishers in the league and you can't provide him with one chance, not even a half chance then that tells you what you need to know. Every time he doesn't get get a kick you come on here like a keyboard warrior blaming him for everything.

No one here is saying he played well but you single him out as if he is the one costing us the game when he could have been playing for another 2 days and the team wouldn't create anything for him to feed off.

The truth is we don't create many chances and without Lukaku putting them away we would have far less points that we have now.

On the other hand we leave Origi 1 v 1 on half a dozen occasions because we are all over the place.

He did FUCK ALL.... I'm not being a keyboard warrior - i know forward play above any other play in the game. Don't tell me black is white - he was a fucking fraud today - a fraud.

I have never in my time as Evertonian seen a player get so much praise whilst getting so much leeway for nothing other than what I call downright laziness.

You are effectively telling me that unless the team provide him clear chances then we are not to expect him to offer anything from him? Sorry - absolute bollocks. He allowed lovren to win nearly every single 50/50 ball. He wasn't marked by 3 - he was in lovrens pocket the whole game.

Koeman on TV right now talking absolute shite.

That's not what I said Haf but are you telling me that a striker is playing for a functional team when he isn't able to get a single shot away. Simple question and only requires a simple answer.

Could Lukaku have done more, of course he could. Could the rest of the team done a lot more, of course they fucking could. Once you realise that one has a big effect on the other maybe you realise that Lukaku is only as good as the team he plays in. He isn't Suarez, he isn't Messi. He is a bloody good finisher with a good all round game, better in some areas than others. Today he did exactly what I would have expected him to do considering the performance of those around him.

Don't get Koeman's post match interview at all. Proud of what? Liverpool, especially at Anfield, has become a massive monkey on our back. We go into the games too pumped up, too tense, we let the emotion take over, and we lose. We were second best today in every aspect, headless chickens with the ball, crap at the back. So no, nothing to be proud of I'm afraid.

This has become a huge problem for us. Based on current form, that was an aberration of a performance. After one defeat in ten, there is no explanation for how poor we were apart from the fact that we have a huge mental issue playing Liverpool.

Hell this Barkley fellow was hot today - exactly what England is missing in their midfield at the moment. What a player. If only he had better players around him. Really a player to build a team around for the future. I am sure most Everton fans will agree.

Sideliner is to Barkley as Hafnia is to Lukaku as Shy_Talk is to Liberals.

That's not what I said Haf but are you telling me that a striker is playing for a functional team when he isn't able to get a single shot away. Simple question and only requires a simple answer.

Could Lukaku have done more, of course he could. Could the rest of the team done a lot more, of course they fucking could. Once you realise that one has a big effect on the other maybe you realise that Lukaku is only as good as the team he plays in. He isn't Suarez, he isn't Messi. He is a bloody good finisher with a good all round game, better in some areas than others. Today he did exactly what I would have expected him to do considering the performance of those around him.

I'm content enough in my views that carragher and souness effectively stated everything I did.

Carragher:- "you can't score every game but even if you don't then make a difference... he didn't do that. Drogba had games where chances were few but he bullied defences. Lukaku shouldn't be bullied and today he was"

Souness:- "a player his size should come off the pitch 50/50 at worst... today he was 90/10 beaten at best. Lovren dominated him. He needed to help his team out today and take the pressure off the midfield and defence.... he didn't."

Peter Reid completely agreed.

It's hard for fans to admit but there's an inferiority complex about us against Liverpool. They go into games wanting to beat us, we go in desperate. It is painful to watch because they have the upper hand before a ball is kicked. The only way we're going to break this run is take the emotion out of derby games. Forget the history, forget the local rivalry, forget the fans. Treat it coldly as just another game and, at Anfield, set out first and foremost to frustrate them. Going in flying into tackles from the off trying to play at 110 miles an hour just plays into their hands every time.

It's hard for fans to admit but there's an inferiority complex about us against Liverpool. They go into games wanting to beat us, we go in desperate. It is painful to watch because they have the upper hand before a ball is kicked. The only way we're going to break this run is take the emotion out of derby games. Forget the history, forget the local rivalry, forget the fans. Treat it coldly as just another game and, at Anfield, set out first and foremost to frustrate them. Going in flying into tackles from the off trying to play at 110 miles an hour just plays into their hands every time.

Exactly. ???

Where is MOM?

Sorry about that, I went out shopping before the end of the match (more enjoyable). I'd done the thread pre KO but it was "hidden" so I needed to unhide it which I forgot to do; and I left my phone at home so couldn't do it from there either.

Didn't get to see it, sounds like a lucky escape.

When I saw the line up my first reaction was shite we're gonna get battered.

Obviously a catalogue of injuries have scuppered our chances, but Koeman could have made a lot better choices with the players he still had at his disposal, as some of you lads have pointed out, for that reason it still concerns me that in adverse times he struggles to see the obvious.

The two players we really missed today were McCarthy (to put some fire in the team) and Funes Mori (sad we recognize this only when he's not there). Schneiderlin would have brought confidence, too.

I agree that Mirallas should have played for at least the entire second half if not the whole game. Also, I stick to my opinion that Lookman would have been a better starter than DC-L. Koeman completely bottled this game, as he did some earlier games. We need to play with confidence instead of showing so much respect. This Liverpool team is very beatable.

Not much to be said about the game tbh, i think it just showed how desperate we are for some other options during the summer window. Our first eleven is fine but as soon as we get a few injuries we have nothing to come in and replace them. Also i don't think Gana looks anywhere near the player he was earlier on in the season.

Again Mirallas linking play in a way that DCL can't yet.

I think DCL has a great future ahead of him but it's madness to start him ahead of Mirallas in such a big game.

Agree. DCL looks the real deal, but is still learning.

Today was set up for Mirralas.