IGNORED

Marcel Brands (DoF)

10 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

At the end of the day his title isn’t director of operations, or director of youth, or director of marketing, or director of commercial sponsors.  It is  director of football.  And that’s what he should be judged on, football.  It seems many on here want to treat him like he’s COO or something.

Exactly let’s just sign everything over to him he’s obviously the dogs bollocks, and can do everything bar the job he was brought into do, he’s beginning to sound like a jack of all trades master of none. 

5 hours ago, Bailey said:

The managers get the credit for making those signings but Brands gets the blame for the players not doing the business on the pitch?

I thought that noise I could hear was someone doing some gardening but now I realise it is that axe you are grinding!

😂 trust me mate I have no axe to grind I just think the position we are in speak for it’s self🪓🪓🪓🙏

59 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

At the end of the day his title isn’t director of operations, or director of youth, or director of marketing, or director of commercial sponsors.  It is  director of football.  And that’s what he should be judged on, football.  It seems many on here want to treat him like he’s COO or something.

Because that is effectively his job!!!!

4 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

Actually, it’s more like Moshiri (his boss) is treating him like a COO. 

3 hours ago, Palfy said:

Exactly let’s just sign everything over to him he’s obviously the dogs bollocks, and can do everything bar the job he was brought into do, he’s beginning to sound like a jack of all trades master of none. 

Maybe he is doing exactly the job Moshiri brought him in to do? And maybe that job isn’t the job you want him to do. 

16 minutes ago, Palfy said:

Maybe 🤔 I just want him to help make us a force to be reckoned with.  

I hope he will but sadly his main job has been getting rid of the overpaid horseshit that he inherited… yes he’s brought in some duds himself but that infamous summer and then Big Sam’s splurge has left long term damage.

26 minutes ago, Palfy said:

Maybe 🤔 I just want him to help make us a force to be reckoned with.  

Then you need to hold everyone who runs the club just as accountable as Brands. Denise and Sasha need to be as accoutable as Brands, Unsworth and Ferguson and the players. 
But the fact of the matter is that they all have specific responsibilities that we aren’t aware of. 

11 hours ago, London Blue said:

I agree that James, and Alan would not of come save for Carlo. But we paid so little for them given their talent and value, and that my friend is due to the skill and talent of Mr Brands.

I'm away at the mo so can't give full answer, but the fact we have not gone out and splashed more money on duds Moshiri in a sweet shop style. Got rid of the crap *mostly*, and got players in who can do a job. Plus I am sure he has put mechanisms in place to improve scouting and youth.

I would give him a B

You've not been drafted to Cornwall, have you?

5 hours ago, Matt said:

Because that is effectively his job!!!!

It's not Matt, otherwise that would be his job title.  Denise was the COO, then she was promoted to CEO.  More likely it falls on her plate since she's a C level executive, again Brands is not, he is Director of Football.  Furthermore, David Harrison is Director of Football Operations, so Brands doesn't even need to worry about any of that stuff.

8 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

It's not Matt, otherwise that would be his job title.  Denise was the COO, then she was promoted to CEO.  More likely it falls on her plate since she's a C level executive, again Brands is not, he is Director of Football.  Furthermore, David Harrison is Director of Football Operations, so Brands doesn't even need to worry about any of that stuff.

:doh:

Sigh. You're just so very, very wrong. 

10 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

Then stop getting on Marcel Brands back and start blaming David Harrison? 🤔

14 hours ago, Cornish Steve said:

You've not been drafted to Cornwall, have you?

10 minutes ago, MikeO said:

Wondered the same thing.

Wouldn't be allowed to say if I had they are very hot on us not  posting about where we are and what we are doing!! But I haven't, rare time off up north to see Northern half of the clan.

• 5 weeks later...

I think wages and transfer fees in general went up. So whether we had a DOF or not we would probably have spent the most amount of money on wages in our history.

According to Sportrac we spent the 6th most on wages / 4th most on transfer fees the year before Brands was appointed. Last year we spent the 8th most on wages.

Can’t argue that what we are spending is not being spent wisely however!

6 hours ago, Goodison Glory said:

I think wages and transfer fees in general went up. So whether we had a DOF or not we would probably have spent the most amount of money on wages in our history.

According to Sportrac we spent the 6th most on wages / 4th most on transfer fees the year before Brands was appointed. Last year we spent the 8th most on wages.

Can’t argue that what we are spending is not being spent wisely however!

If you look at the percentage of turnover spent on wages we spent 86% of our turnover on wages which was before Covid shut stadiums, it was the highest in the PL, some teams managed to spend under 50% of turnover on wages, quite how we can applaud Brands for financially steadying the ship and getting finances in order is beyond me. 

20 minutes ago, Palfy said:

If you look at the percentage of turnover spent on wages we spent 86% of our turnover on wages which was before Covid shut stadiums, it was the highest in the PL, some teams managed to spend under 50% of turnover on wages, quite how we can applaud Brands for financially steadying the ship and getting finances in order is beyond me. 

I'd love to see the evidence behind those "facts" :lol:

8 minutes ago, Matt said:

You will find them on the net if you look, the season I was referring to I think was either 18/19 or possibly 19/20 what I do remember was Bournemouth were  still in the equation. 

On 21/07/2021 at 15:47, Palfy said:

Presided over the biggest amount of money spent on players and wages in our history, and all cumulating in the poorest league positions in years, and Townsend Grey and Begovic as our latest signings, this is the reality of a successful DoF I wish I could say I made that up, he’s taking us backwards. 

We would not be in nearly the mess we are in if it weren’t for Walsh and Fat Sam. Tosun and Walcott are 50 million pounds of shit. We took huge losses on Schniderlan ( can’t even spell him name ), Gylfi ffs 45 million. Bolasie I can forgive due to injury. 

Brands has missed a few but nothing like those before him. 

13 hours ago, Matt said:

It’s true. Although there were only 3 teams below the 50% quoted. One (Cardiff) was relegated and another (Spurs) reached the Champions League Final and opened their new stadium which gave a massive income boost.

I don’t think anyone disagrees that we have made bad signings on high wages but I wouldn’t lay all of this at Brands door though. For that 18-19 season quoted we made 5 or 6 key signings that summer (brands 1st window in his role); Digne, Richarlison, Mina, Gomes and Bernard. Most were above 100k a week and have been successful. Gomes was a loan and Bernard a free. We must have shed a lot of wages this year through contracts expiring and possibly Gomes/Bernard leaving. 

For me the jury is out but he has only been here 3 years. We were just hoping for a magic transformation ala Man City which hasn't happened.