IGNORED

Wolverhampton (Away) Saturday August 11th

markjazzbassist

10 minutes ago, Palfy said:

He did, it was guess who that was the weak link today. 

But there you go it's become the standard comment on here with some people, because they feel they can get some likes and applause for saying it, cheap shots by people who aren't basing it on what was in front of them just their prejudices.

Seriously? Fuck off you Ps.Gana was not the problem today.

You'd be at a resort. Tsunami Would come in. You'd blame Gana. 

12 hours ago, Matt said:

Not reading the comments, but...

we showed we can defend. Hallelujah, hallelfuckinjah. We also showed how shite our defence can be however. Whomever should’ve been closing that cross down that led to their second needs a slap; I’m not naming names purely because I don’t know who was closest! 

However, there’s a lot of positives to take from that game

We showed we could defend... But we made several mistakes leading to two goals... 

1 hour ago, Palfy said:

He did, it was guess who that was the weak link today. 

But there you go it's become the standard comment on here with some people, because they feel they can get some likes and applause for saying it, cheap shots by people who aren't basing it on what was in front of them just their prejudices.

Seriously Palfy? Or is that a wind up?

Did Gana shag your missus or something?

I have never been so optimistic following a 2-2 draw in all my life. I've spent the past week preparing for an absolute slaughtering following our woeful performances in pre-season but to the team and Silva's credit we looked boss yesterday. Up until the goal from Neves we were totally in control and you'd bet your money that we would have added a few more and seen the game out. It's frustrating that we didn't take all three points given that we were so dominant, had one man less than they did and were playing at a club that were having a cup final but there were enough positives in that first game to make me excited for what's to come. 

Pickford I thought did well when Raul Jiminez broke through late in the day however I agree that he should have done so much better with the free-kick. It was hit magnificently but a strong hand saves that in my opinion, and a Jordan Pickford filled with World Cup testosterone playing against Colombia or Sweden would have saved that. A bit of rustiness slipping through perhaps but on the flip side would Stek have saved it? Nah. 

Coleman looked brilliant for me all game, I was worried he might have lost it after watching him give a goal away by clattering into Sandro Ramirez in pre-season but to his credit he was brilliant. My only concern is that he got caught out a few times when he bombed forward and they counter-attacked but I suppose that's where the centre-halves kick in and cover. Speaking of them, Keane had arguably his best game in an Everton shirt (I knew there was a player in there somewhere!) as the arrivals of Yerry Mina and Kurt Zouma have perhaps given him the kick up the arse he needs. If he can put in that performance across 38 games we have ourselves a very tidy defender and I'm excited to see what he can bring to the table alongside Mina. As for Jagielka, what a farce. He looked fairly comfortable but that mistake is unforgivable in my opinion. Yes, Neves took the free-kick in a different postcode to where he should have, yes he perhaps made contact with the ball before the player, yes it might seem a bit harsh but take into account the time and space Phil had to control a simple ball and make the pass?! It was absolutely horrendous, the stuff that would be on the blooper reels had it happened to a goalkeeper. Gash in every sense of the word. 

Baines was spot on, and on this form will be a cracking asset on the left. More praise goes the way of Morgan Schneiderlin for me, he gets some stick from the Everton fanbase but I thought he was great yesterday, cut out attacks and looked really level headed. Silva also seems to have taught him how to pass forwards too which instantly makes me want to hand the gaffer a five-year deal. As with Keane, if we can get those performances over 38 games we'll have a very good option. Gueye I thought was sloppy but not shit by any means. He was one half of the midfield engine that we needed going down to 10 men and for the most part did what he needed to. 

Walcott was OK, didn't seem to really get that big break but who knows whether he would have been on the scoresheet had Tosun slipped him through rather than shooting - the Turk himself having a poor game in my opinion and never really got going against a fragile and naive Wolves defence. Richarlison was outstanding and the praise I would give to him has already been said ten times over so I'll leave it at that. What a talent. 

Overall, frustrated not to have won a game that we were so dominant in and following such a horrendous pre-season but I am now filled with optimism for the Southampton game at the weekend. It's only one game, it's only 90 minutes but if these are the foundations of the Marco Silva era then I am happy to get carried away and convince myself that we are winning this league 🤡.

14 hours ago, Peter H said:

Digne looks a little lost in midfield. 

Playing for the first time (competitively) in a new position, new team and trying hard to impress. I'd give him a free pass to be honest as he didn't have enough time to get into the swing of things. Judge him after he has 90 minutes of football at left-back.

14 hours ago, Gwlad all over said:

Great team effort really. I like the way when a player lost the ball they fought to get it back, something we haven't seen a lot of in recent times.

Was fuming with Niasse for this reason though, usually such a workhorse but strolled around for the 10-15 minutes that he was on rather than putting pressure on the Wolves back line. The amount of errors were forced due to closing them down was insane so it therefore got my back up when Oumar's fresh legs wouldn't do anything of the sort. Great attitude from most of the lads though in terms of closing people down (Richarlison especially).

9 hours ago, pete0 said:

Noticed before the game his red card stats are very high. Think it was 5 in 24 games last season. 

Given his leniency on their fouls you'd expect a yellow for Jagielka. 

Sent off Gary Cahill in last years season opener (in the first-half too if I remember rightly). Pawson is one of them referees that's determined to make a name for himself by grabbing headlines so shite like this is to be expected. For the record I thought the red was probably justified but Craig's overall performance was questionable at best.

32 minutes ago, Zoo 2.0 said:

Sent off Gary Cahill in last years season opener (in the first-half too if I remember rightly). Pawson is one of them referees that's determined to make a name for himself by grabbing headlines so shite like this is to be expected. For the record I thought the red was probably justified but Craig's overall performance was questionable at best.

I agree it's a red by the book. But given he only gave their RB a ticking off rather than a yellow he should've shown consistency and gave Jags a yellow and a ticking off. 

9 hours ago, Isaiah said:

Everton.jpg

See, this is where you'd hope the club asks some questions. That's a crazy repositioning. Surely these things get raised when refs have reviews?

Also, you'd have to wonder that if the ref thought he could clearly see it was a red, and it has to be beyond doubt, how is it that he could not see where the foul actually took place at? That's a significant difference.

2 hours ago, nogs said:

We showed we could defend... But we made several mistakes leading to two goals... 

I know, it’s counter intuitive. But we wouldn’t have kept it at 2 previously, that’s my point. 

2-2 also seems a dead cert for opening game of the season!

I think what really stood out for me was how well and positive we played after going down to 10 men. When Jags was sent off I fully expected to just sit back and for the defeat to be somewhat inevitable. Hell, for a lot of last season we started games that way with 11 men! But we carried on playing and because of that we still had opportunities and could have actually been 3 or 4-1 up before they'd got their second goal.

That's the sort of difference Silva looks to have brought to us.

1 minute ago, Paddock said:

I missed the game as I was working- did any of our players protest when the free kick was in the wrong position? We’re too fucking nice- that was United Chelsea, Liverpool etc they would have been all over the ref regarding that.

11 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

Think I saw that it was about 6 yards forward to where it should’ve been. Richarlison tells the ref that and you can see him say “no, it’s here.” The fucking idiot. 

Yes. I don't think he was the only one but he's the one I can remember.

1 point out with 10 men. Add some exiting play (compared with the shit we saw in many games last season) and I think we can look forward to a better season this year in many perspectives.

Big question is how we'll do against the "large teams". If Silva believes in the players then I think it looks pretty good.

1 hour ago, Romey 1878 said:

I think what really stood out for me was how well and positive we played after going down to 10 men. When Jags was sent off I fully expected to just sit back and for the defeat to be somewhat inevitable. Hell, for a lot of last season we started games that way with 11 men! But we carried on playing and because of that we still had opportunities and could have actually been 3 or 4-1 up before they'd got their second goal.

The strange thing is that we were better when we played with 10 and created a lot more chances as well.

49 minutes ago, Paddock said:

I missed the game as I was working- did any of our players protest when the free kick was in the wrong position? We’re too fucking nice- that was United Chelsea, Liverpool etc they would have been all over the ref regarding that.

No Pad not a murmur, but in fairness they got lost in the protests about the red card decision. 

1 hour ago, Romey 1878 said:

You know what Rom I totally agree with that every player out there did a job the team ethic was there for all to see, then you get someone come out with the stereo typical Schneiderlin bullshit when he played well, what the fucks that all about. 

If they are going to act like cocks I’ll be a bigger cock when comes to their super hero Gana.  

3 hours ago, Palfy said:

You know what Rom I totally agree with that every player out there did a job the team ethic was there for all to see, then you get someone come out with the stereo typical Schneiderlin bullshit when he played well, what the fucks that all about. 

If they are going to act like cocks I’ll be a bigger cock when comes to their super hero Gana.  

It's all about opinions Palfy,  your opinion is different to their opinions,  but your All wrong cos I think Besic and Davies should be playing.

In my Opinion...😀

9 minutes ago, TallPaul1878 said:

I would. Besic and Davies shouldn't be anywhere near the first team. They just aren't good enough.

The problem with short arse players is that they need to have something to make up for it. Neither of them have that blistering burst of pace That is usually associated with a smaller player (Besic is injury prone), they don't have that short squat powerful frame that your Rooney's and Teves' had and they don't have the technical ability to play themselves out of trouble against the better players. 

A good small player will always be besting by a good tall player.

I see Besic completely differently to that, I personally would rather have him than Gana but then I would. 

should have added he was alright in spells yesterday. 

2 minutes ago, TallPaul1878 said:

I think he has a bit more about him going forward but I always see him getting sent off. Fully fit and in form maybe he can offer something but Gueye is preferable for his all around pace and recovery runs.

Both Schneiderlin and Gueye looked as though they realised they are no longer a first choice. They only got the nod due to the new players not having any time to bed in. Come September they will be under real threat for their position.

Same too for Sigurdsson. He did not impress me against Wolves.

I have added a foot note to my response, which I should have put in in the beginning, they all deserve praise for their efforts obviously some more than others, but to a man they worked hard we haven’t seen that sort of commitment and togetherness for a long time.

Im more than happy 1st game in. 

18 minutes ago, TallPaul1878 said:

I would. Besic and Davies shouldn't be anywhere near the first team. They just aren't good enough.

The problem with short arse players is that they need to have something to make up for it. Neither of them have that blistering burst of pace That is usually associated with a smaller player (Besic is injury prone), they don't have that short squat powerful frame that your Rooney's and Teves' had and they don't have the technical ability to play themselves out of trouble against the better players. 

A good small player will always be besting by a good tall player.

Davies is technically brilliant. Probs the best of the centre mids at positioning himself and always available for the ball which is a trait he has in common with Besic. 

38 minutes ago, TallPaul1878 said:

Oh I can't disagree with that. I thought they all played well. I thought we should have battered Wolves. Tosun should have gone to his left or played Walcott in for a certain goal. Coleman fluffed a gilt edged chance to play a simple pass to Niasse to kill the game.

We had 10 men and still looked most likely to win the game. I was proud of the whole team and many misaligned players such as Keane, Gueye, Schneiderlin; I thought they all played with renewed vigour.

I know it’s early days but after the preseason i was worried, on paper we have good players now we have a manager who knows how to get them back to where they should be, and what he’s done that none of the others have been able to do his make them believe and work for the manager, they should be all buzzing after yesterday’s performance. 

Never mind the result just to wittiness an Everton team playing football passing and moving and wanting the ball, and dominating when down to 10 men, in all honesty brings tears to my eyes. 

Please don’t ruin it by slagging individuals off it leaves a sour taste and makes me get upset and defensive, and I’ve waited a long time to feel this good after a game. 

6 hours ago, Palfy said:

Stop being a cock Palfy

7 hours ago, Palfy said:

Since I'm the one who made the comment, let me respond (with my opinion).

Watching the game live, it was usually obvious who was Schneiderlin. Most of his passes were from side to side or backwards. Yes, he made some forward passes, but not many. His positioning is fair, but his effort is lacking. He should take the blame for Wolves' second goal, for example. Take a look at the replay and see what I mean by blasé attitude. I'm not sure why it is, maybe basic personality, but he never seems to give his all or even care to.

It might be true that this was one of his better games, but that's measuring his performance yesterday against his poor performances in the past. That's not acceptable. He should be measured against what's expected of him, and frankly I expect more.

You're free to disagree with me, of course, but this is not "stereotypical BS". It's what I saw watching the game.