IGNORED

Marco Silva

I'm with all the posts questioning why Silva keeps getting it in the neck for players underperforming in a blue shirt. I completely agree Silva has a lot to prove still and a bad month ahead will put him in a very difficult position, but come on - how long do we have to suffer £50m Sigurdsson being fucking useless  before we start questioning his commitment and desire? I cringe every time I see Schneiderlin on the team sheet, same with Tosun - just not good enough. People on here defend Keane to the hilt but he's a mistake waiting to happen. 

Yeah Silva has to take responsibility for picking underperforming players, and yeah part of a coach's job is to make players better. But instead of believing we can wave a magic wand, bring a new manager in and suddenly find ourselves in the top 4, I think we have to face facts - we still have a lot of players on our books who are either not good enough for where we want to be or who are apparently not that arsed. 

3 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

Why? What's so bad about getting players to practice more and improve on what they've clearly been shit at?

Players asked to improve and cut out mistakes that are costing the team, manager gets it in the ear. Crazy logic, but in the modern footballing world the player is coddled to shit. Fuck that. Work hard, end of story.

Yes, I am inclined to the view that players generally are coddled, extraordinarily paid for a “job” that seems wonderful compared to most other work.  For me, it’s a tricky thing to motivate players, and referring publicly to players “hiding” suggests deep division between the manager and more than a few players.  It strikes me that fans can rail against players lacking concentration — as I myself have done on TT repeatedly — but the manager has a much tougher task in solving this issue.

Calling out players might work, but there are several not-so-subtle hints in the article that Silva is developing a reputation among some of the players as a martinet.  So, I don’t agree that it’s as straightforward as “Work hard, end of story.”

After what the Everton radio guys clearly thought was a pathetic second half performance at Wednesday, it’s understandable that Silva needed to praise something in addition to DCL and so emphasized “togetherness.”  I will hope that Silva’s approach will further rather than erode the players’ effort, togetherness, concentration, consistency, bottle.

2 hours ago, Elston Gunnn said:

Yes, I am inclined to the view that players generally are coddled, extraordinarily paid for a “job” that seems wonderful compared to most other work.  For me, it’s a tricky thing to motivate players, and referring publicly to players “hiding” suggests deep division between the manager and more than a few players.  It strikes me that fans can rail against players lacking concentration — as I myself have done on TT repeatedly — but the manager has a much tougher task in solving this issue.

Calling out players might work, but there are several not-so-subtle hints in the article that Silva is developing a reputation among some of the players as a martinet.  So, I don’t agree that it’s as straightforward as “Work hard, end of story.”

After what the Everton radio guys clearly thought was a pathetic second half performance at Wednesday, it’s understandable that Silva needed to praise something in addition to DCL and so emphasized “togetherness.”  I will hope that Silva’s approach will further rather than erode the players’ effort, togetherness, concentration, consistency, bottle.

I think you’ve twisted what he said tbh. He didn’t actually say they were hiding, just that they (and he included himself in that) can’t hide from how poor we’ve been. I don’t think there’s anything wrong with that, none of them can hide from the situation and need to front up and improve the results. 

35 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

I think you’ve twisted what he said tbh. He didn’t actually say they were hiding, just that they (and he included himself in that) can’t hide from how poor we’ve been. I don’t think there’s anything wrong with that, none of them can hide from the situation and need to front up and improve the results. 

I agree, it's a misleading headline. All of the other points raised are completed unevidenced as well. It reads to me as if someone has an agenda.

5 hours ago, nogs said:

I'm with all the posts questioning why Silva keeps getting it in the neck for players underperforming in a blue shirt. I completely agree Silva has a lot to prove still and a bad month ahead will put him in a very difficult position, but come on - how long do we have to suffer £50m Sigurdsson being fucking useless  before we start questioning his commitment and desire? I cringe every time I see Schneiderlin on the team sheet, same with Tosun - just not good enough. People on here defend Keane to the hilt but he's a mistake waiting to happen. 

Yeah Silva has to take responsibility for picking underperforming players, and yeah part of a coach's job is to make players better. But instead of believing we can wave a magic wand, bring a new manager in and suddenly find ourselves in the top 4, I think we have to face facts - we still have a lot of players on our books who are either not good enough for where we want to be or who are apparently not that arsed. 

Yes but this is almost his team now. Excluding Pickford and Keane you could pick a team that he bought entirely. There’s a couple of injuries right now but I honestly don’t think personnel is the problem here. Just because we’ve sacked managers before and we’ve not improved has no bearing on this decision. We’ve just picked the wrong guy. Do you think we were wrong to have sacked koeman, Martinez Or allardyce then? Because if you don’t then I have a funny feeling that you’d feel the same in 6 months if we got rid of this fella. As this team is no better.

56 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

He actually said he doesn’t want anyone hiding, specifically refers to on the pitch;

“In the second half, I didn’t see that ability and in some moments many players were hiding and didn’t give solutions.”

For me that’s exactly hiding during the game (provided the Telegraph isn’t making things up again), not sure how else that part can be interpreted 

But I also agree with your definition of hiding re; regarding from form. Or in general

2 hours ago, Matt said:

He actually said he doesn’t want anyone hiding, specifically refers to on the pitch;

“In the second half, I didn’t see that ability and in some moments many players were hiding and didn’t give solutions.”

For me that’s exactly hiding during the game (provided the Telegraph isn’t making things up again), not sure how else that part can be interpreted 

But I also agree with your definition of hiding re; regarding from form. Or in general

My mistake. I still don’t think there’s anything worrying or wrong with what he said, some of our players do hide on the pitch and don’t take responsibility. If he wants to come out and say what we can all see then that’s fine, they need to hear it. 

He also did say it (hiding) the way I interpreted it but I mustn’t have had a full interview, and just that part. 

3 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

2 hours ago, Matt said:

I wouldn’t have any concern if all Silva said/meant was that neither manager nor players could hide from recent poor form, or where we sit in the table.  But the statement Matt includes here is the problem.  Again, we fans can — and I do — fulminate about players losing focus, lacking energy, being outfought.  But it’s a fine line Silva treads when he publicly says “many” players were hiding during the match.

Still, Romey’s right that our players need some blunt criticism.  I guess there might be some disagreement about the wisdom of using this particular word so publicly, but I concede some on TT will think, “That’s exactly what Silva should say.”  [Edit: as Romey has just posted above, while I was typing.  I should probably concede that many/most on TT will praise Silva’s bluntness.]

The article — if accurate in all particulars — says the mood at the club is tense.  Mediocre play against mediocre opponents has manager, players, and fans in a testy mood.  A mere 7 points from 6 matches against those teams, and we’re already in the “What’s wrong at Everton” part of the season.

11 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

My mistake. I still don’t think there’s anything worrying or wrong with what he said, some of our players do hide on the pitch and don’t take responsibility. If he wants to come out and say what we can all see then that’s fine, they need to hear it. 

He also did say it (hiding) the way I interpreted it but I mustn’t have had a full interview, and just that part. 

I don’t think there was anything wrong either. It wasn’t like he was doing a Martinez and pretending it was all sunshine and rainbows. He’s taking blame, placing blame, sticking to his guns but changing his approach bit by bit (albeit frustratingly slowly but that’s also important to do)

1 hour ago, Matt said:

Blaming solely the players I agree. Silva is including himself as well as just about everyone else

I heard it more as him putting blame on the players, he's added he's responsible too but more as a token. He's not said he's got the tactics wrong, he's saying the players aren't doing what he wants and he's responsible to make them go what he wants. The players can't magically make his shite tactics work. 

I think he's very much on his way out and chatting bubbles so he can blame the players for getting him sacked. 

Why do you think Liverpool and man city play the way they do? Moving the ball so quickly, so direct, so much pressing when the opponent gets the ball....it’s because of the manager. 

Them managers could go anywhere and reproduce the style. Why do we blame other factors for us watching depressing, predictable, extremely slow football???

they spend five days a week with them on the training pitch but we blame the “it’s just Everton factors”. When, and hopefully we do get a good manager in. It maybe 6 months, it may be 20 years. You will all realise the power of having a good manager. The most difficult part is finding it. 

Thats why these forums are full of who do we get, where are they. But they are out there. Please Everton. Find one.......

2 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

moshiri is the impatient one, i can imagine brands on the board now is trying to talk him away from the ledge, but moshiri has been quick with the axe.  he's the one we need to worry about, marcel showed at previous clubs he's willing to fire managers, but also willing to give them time.

I’d love to know what the day to day duties were for Brands. Just don’t get the sporting director role me. If he’s there purely to scout players then he’s a scout and not a very good one at that. What’s with the importance of hiring and firing by a scout? All the successful clubs in England have been run by the manager. Not this set up. Just don’t understand this halo around Brands head. There’s even been quotes by local journalists of Silva’s desire to get ndombele before he decided on gbamin. He also wanted Gomes originally. Richarlison was obviously his too. Who exactly is identifying the players? Is Brands just negotiating? Or does he throw a few names in himself? Just weird and by the way Everton are playing right now, not successful. It’s a European model which has never worked in england

1 hour ago, sydneyneil said:

I’d love to know what the day to day duties were for Brands. Just don’t get the sporting director role me. If he’s there purely to scout players then he’s a scout and not a very good one at that. What’s with the importance of hiring and firing by a scout? All the successful clubs in England have been run by the manager. Not this set up. Just don’t understand this halo around Brands head. There’s even been quotes by local journalists of Silva’s desire to get ndombele before he decided on gbamin. He also wanted Gomes originally. Richarlison was obviously his too. Who exactly is identifying the players? Is Brands just negotiating? Or does he throw a few names in himself? Just weird and by the way Everton are playing right now, not successful. It’s a European model which has never worked in england

Never worked? Pretty sure City and Liverpool use that very same model.

There is also a lot more to it than you have said but there is plenty of articles on the Brands thread for you to read.