IGNORED

Marco Silva

13 minutes ago, London Blue said:

Worked under "Pep" too, so studied under the master.

What he has learn under pep tactically would'nt be of any used to a team like Everton though. Granted he 'gets' us and would possible be a good man manager (that's left to be seen), but tactically what he would implement at Everton would be a gamble. It obviously wouldnt mirror anything like what City set out to do.

The thing that concerns me is not losing 4 games on the bounce it's that we've won only 2 games in a relatively easy start to the season. With the games we've played we should have been top 4 hoping for momentum to carry us forward, now we're looking the other way. 

If we do get rid then the board have to decide what type of manager they want, another young hungry manager in Arteta who gets the club and was loved by the fans, downside is he has no experience. Or go for a more experienced man in someone like Wenger or  Benitez.

21 minutes ago, Bailey said:

I completely agree. The only question with Wenger would be whether you get the manager that managed the invicibles or the one that ended his career at Arsenal.

If there was ever a manager to be a stabilising figure, almost a safe pair of hands, then it would be him.

Maybe somewhere in between. I feel he went stale at Arsenal after spending a lifetime there; and i believe Everton will be enough of a challenge, with plenty of potential for success, to get his footballing juices bubbling. But let's be honest, we're going to try and bring in someone like Martin O'Neill aren't we 😒

45 minutes ago, Heath said:

Maybe somewhere in between. I feel he went stale at Arsenal after spending a lifetime there; and i believe Everton will be enough of a challenge, with plenty of potential for success, to get his footballing juices bubbling. But let's be honest, we're going to try and bring in someone like Martin O'Neill aren't we 😒

Maybe that is why Keane was at the game... to be O'Neill's number two!

2 hours ago, Matt said:

In my head he had until Christmas purely because he has shown he can get the team to work. But he’s almost deliberately ignoring things. Pete was right.

I'd rather be wrong on this occasion. Sickening being an Everton fan. 

Such a shame Martinez reverted back to his philosophy after showing signs of adapting. Can't remember the last time I enjoyed the football we've played. 

Nagelsman has done really well in Germany but I have seen his sides a few times now and I think his style would be a huge problem over here. They take so many risks at the back that it makes Martinez look like Allardyce. 

It's the type of football that when it works it looks great and I am sure we would cut a few teams apart but the thought of playing City or Liverpool or even a Burnley or Wolves like that would fill me with dread. In fact didn't his side get double digited across 2 legs against City in the Champions League? 

13 hours ago, MikeO said:

Gamble but no doubt he "gets" us and would have a lot of goodwill from the fans.

Arteta would be my choice. He would instantly have the fans onside. He has been working with the best coach in the game for the last few years having ‘turned down’ the chance to replace Wenger. It seems people in the game can see something a bit special in him. Every appointment is a gamble and this would be seen as a massive one on the basis that he’s not managed before. It’s a gamble I’d love us to take but sadly don’t think he’d leave City. His profile is only getting bigger there and he’s even been talked about as Pep’s successor eventually.

I think we need someone with premier league experience. Ideally with a top side, with an idea of how to break down sides who park the bus. That’s our biggest problem, we can’t break teams down who want to defend against us. It’s been our problem ever since Moyes left. 
As most of these teams don’t change manager often I think you can only look at City and Chelsea’s previous managers. 

Mancini probably wouldn’t leave Italy. 
Pelegrini has got himself a good job at West Ham. 
Sarri got the Juventus job. 
Conte is at Inter. 
Hiddink might as well be retired. 
Di Matteo, no. 
Benitez just wouldn’t happen. 
Mourinho is available but no one likes him. 

Ive talked myself out of my own argument. 

44 minutes ago, JimmytheJimster said:

What about Southgate? Don't think he'd leave the England job, but you never know.

Hugely over rated. Lost three games at World Cup and only beat teams we should have beaten. Sweden, Columbia, Panama, Tunisia. He’ll be found out. I was really upset that we didn’t make more of our chance to win the tournament. 

6 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

Silva is not helping himself at all. Playing Delph and Schneiderlin together is idiotic. Bringing on Kean and taking off DCL when we NEEDED a goal was lunacy. Persevering with Sigurdsson is criminal.

I mentioned somewhere else but I’m convinced Gylfi is looking so bad is because even if tries to move or make runs, the ball is still being pinged between Morgan, Delph and either CB before going to to the full back. 

I hope with Gomes and JPG, we can drop this tried and failed test of 2 DCM and do a bit more of a diamond of 

JPG

Gomes.               Bernard

Gylfi

Richarlison      DCL.        Iwobi

though personally id drop Richarlison at the moment, he’s been awful, and play Kean out there, but more central. 

The amount of times you could’ve done donuts in buses in their defensive third was embarrassing 

11 minutes ago, Matt said:

I hope with Gomes and JPG, we can drop this tried and failed test of 2 DCM and do a bit more of a diamond of 

JPG

Gomes.               Bernard

Gylfi

Richarlison      DCL.        Iwobi

Are you suggesting we play 3 at the back or 4 and no keeper?

29 minutes ago, c1982 said:

Are you suggesting we play 3 at the back or 4 and no keeper?

:lol: 

dunno why I’ve put Gylfi there, just habit and bad counting. 

DCL would be a bit further back that the other 2 forwards so we can knock balls down for them. 

15 hours ago, pete0 said:

I'd rather be wrong on this occasion. Sickening being an Everton fan. 

Such a shame Martinez reverted back to his philosophy after showing signs of adapting. Can't remember the last time I enjoyed the football we've played. 

Think you must have enjoyed the back end of last season when we beat teams from the top six comfortably, by playing good exciting football.

Dont panic Pete we shall see it again.

3 hours ago, Finn balor said:

Biesla at Leeds? I think he has said it’s his last season there and they aren’t certain to get promoted. 

He gets his teams fit, but Leeds have the same problem we have, they can't score goals.  Leeds have had the same problem since last season and Bielsa hasn't sorted it.  He keeps playing Bamford (who is our DCL) and persisting with the same tactics.  The only guarantee we would get is a fitter team.

I like Silva, I really do, but I get angry when the same mistakes are repeated again and again.

I don't understand why he plays Schneiderlin, who while a good defensive midfielder has had a massive drop off in form and confidence in the last 3 years, he always has a mistake in him, and is constantly battling his temper it seems. He takes too long to release the ball, and when he does its usually sideways or backwards which slows down attacks.

Siggy is just not suited to our type of game, he takes an age on the ball again slowing us down and just seems to be a peripheral figure in most games.

I want Silva to follow his instinct and play a proper 433 a midfield of Gomes / Delph and Davies where all 3 can rotate, or fill in to let the fullbacks overlap. 

I want a top 3 of Richarlison Kean and Iwobi with Bernard, and DCL pushing for a place.

If he does not have the balls to play his preferred system and use players who fit it then he is not fit to manage us. If he does then I will give him time to see if he can ride this out. If not then  lets get Arteta in. 

6 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

Silva is not helping himself at all. Playing Delph and Schneiderlin together is idiotic. Bringing on Kean and taking off DCL when we NEEDED a goal was lunacy. Persevering with Sigurdsson is criminal.

How did I forget to mention the quite barmy decision to bring Gomes on and leave Bernard plonked on his arse when we were chasing a goal? I love Gomes but if you want a goal he isn’t who you’re going to think of to bring on in a million years. Bernard is much more likely to make something happen , I don’t care if the virus was still raging round his system or if he was at risk of having diarrhoea in the process of creating a chance. 

3 hours ago, London Blue said:

I like Silva, I really do, but I get angry when the same mistakes are repeated again and again.

I don't understand why he plays Schneiderlin, who while a good defensive midfielder has had a massive drop off in form and confidence in the last 3 years, he always has a mistake in him, and is constantly battling his temper it seems. He takes too long to release the ball, and when he does its usually sideways or backwards which slows down attacks.

Siggy is just not suited to our type of game, he takes an age on the ball again slowing us down and just seems to be a peripheral figure in most games.

I want Silva to follow his instinct and play a proper 433 a midfield of Gomes / Delph and Davies where all 3 can rotate, or fill in to let the fullbacks overlap. 

I want a top 3 of Richarlison Kean and Iwobi with Bernard, and DCL pushing for a place.

If he does not have the balls to play his preferred system and use players who fit it then he is not fit to manage us. If he does then I will give him time to see if he can ride this out. If not then  lets get Arteta in. 

Been thinking about this myself.

Silva seems to be determined to make the players we have play to his system. A good manager does just that, manages.

He looks at what he has and adapts his tactics to suit his players, while also teaching/training them his preferred system. We don’t have fast one touch players in the team who can play that pressure football. Keane and Mina don’t have the ability to stroke the ball around at the back. 

Silva needs to mix it up a bit and work with what he has, not what he wants.

3 hours ago, London Blue said:

I don't get this at all. If Silva really want to play 4-3-3, then why isn't he? Does he feel he has to play Sigurdsson, and adapts the system to suit him? Or does he feel he hasn't got the players to play the way he wants, especially in the middle? Even if that is the case, playing the same way that got Koeman sacked two years ago is just madness. 

2 minutes ago, nogs said:

I don't get this at all. If Silva really want to play 4-3-3, then why isn't he? Does he feel he has to play Sigurdsson, and adapts the system to suit him? Or does he feel he hasn't got the players to play the way he wants, especially in the middle? Even if that is the case, playing the same way that got Koeman sacked two years ago is just madness. 

I feel it’s the opposite.

I feel like he’s trying to force a system on players that aren’t capable of playing it. Siggurdson isn’t anywhere near as bad as he looks. He only looks like this because of the way we play. 

We play DCL up top. Why aren’t we instructing the wingers to throw crosses into him?

When Kean comes on, we play long balls up to him?