IGNORED

Marco Silva

Im not sure about City but Im fairly sure Jurgen Klopp identifies Liverpool's new players. Id be shocked if Guardiola didnt have the final say also.

We seem to put all player recruitment down to Brands when I'm not completely sure that's 100%. I'm just on a blaming streak right now, it's so frustrating.

Are the players any good  or is it just Silva not getting the best out of them? Or are these players crap and it's been bad recruitment? Anyhow, up the toffees.

4 hours ago, sydneyneil said:

Im not sure about City but Im fairly sure Jurgen Klopp identifies Liverpool's new players. Id be shocked if Guardiola didnt have the final say also.

We seem to put all player recruitment down to Brands when I'm not completely sure that's 100%. I'm just on a blaming streak right now, it's so frustrating.

Are the players any good  or is it just Silva not getting the best out of them? Or are these players crap and it's been bad recruitment? Anyhow, up the toffees.

Silva comes up with a list of players he wants. Brands comes up with the list he has scouted and thinks will fit into the coach’s plans. They both then sit down and discuss targets and decide who to go for. 

Imagine Xfactor when they trim the category's   down haha!

15 hours ago, sydneyneil said:

No he doesnt. A quick Google shows Michael Edwards is the Sporting Director and Klopp is the head coach, the same model Klopp used at Dortmund. A quote from the echo on their relationship says:

"The future identification and recruitment of players is perhaps the most publicly identifiable aspect of Michael Edwards’ job - and probably one which will define his success."

Txiki Begiristain is the Director of Football at City, in charge of player recruitment, after doing a similar job at Barcelona.

Both clubs have the same set up as we do now.

41 minutes ago, Bailey said:

No he doesnt. A quick Google shows Michael Edwards is the Sporting Director and Klopp is the head coach, the same model Klopp used at Dortmund. A quote from the echo on their relationship says:

"The future identification and recruitment of players is perhaps the most publicly identifiable aspect of Michael Edwards’ job - and probably one which will define his success."

Txiki Begiristain is the Director of Football at City, in charge of player recruitment, after doing a similar job at Barcelona.

Both clubs have the same set up as we do now.

was just coming here to say this.  the 2 most successful clubs of the last few years have this setup.  soton has as well as a tiny club that's stayed afloat.  neil take your pity party somewhere else

15 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

was just coming here to say this.  the 2 most successful clubs of the last few years have this setup.  soton has as well as a tiny club that's stayed afloat.  neil take your pity party somewhere else

The set ups only successful mate if you have the right people in charge. Just let me know where that party is mark and I’ll be there....sounds good.

Got a mate who works as the performance analyst for Everton. Has done since Moyes. Since Silva’s been in, hes not doing as much as Silva brought his own team in. Said the vibe from Silva is very quiet, shy and acts out of his depth. Only a colleagues perception but interesting. He’s seen quite a few managers!

3 hours ago, sydneyneil said:

The set ups only successful mate if you have the right people in charge. Just let me know where that party is mark and I’ll be there....sounds good.

Got a mate who works as the performance analyst for Everton. Has done since Moyes. Since Silva’s been in, hes not doing as much as Silva brought his own team in. Said the vibe from Silva is very quiet, shy and acts out of his depth. Only a colleagues perception but interesting. He’s seen quite a few managers!

I’d have thought all of Moyes team would have been moved on by now. I don’t know about Martinez and Koeman, but I know Allardyce brought in all his own team. 

4 hours ago, sydneyneil said:

you expect him to be on a piss up with the staff in the pub every night?  hilarious your "perceptions".  

I don't think a manager can do all the things he's asked to do: coach the team, plan for the opposition, and handle the media and public facing duties and also, say, know the potential of the players in the second division in Italy. That's why you have a sporting director. That person and his or her staff identify players that fit the system, fit the budget, and might want to play for Everton. Those players are taken to the manger for review. I'd be surprised if the manager doesn't have the final say, but in certain cases, I suspect the sporting director can overrule him. 

I know its early in the game and they are only playing Newcastle at home but if Silva needs any ideas on how to get a better balance in his midfield then he should just watch this game. Real width and a striker playing on the last man with two midfielders ahead of a single pivot. That single man (Ndidi) doesnt move from the middle of the pitch but Praet and Tielemans push forward in attack and move into the space in and around Vardy. When they don't have the ball they are back alongside Ndidi in a central 3. What is also good to see is the two central midfielders get into the box.

In the goal Leicester just scored, part of the reason Ricardo could run as far as he could was because Vardy was making the off the should run which created a lot of space. There was no Siggy type player occupying that space with his back to goal or a winger bring the full back inside with him making it easier to defend. If that was us the space for Ricardo would have been down the touchline meaning the only route to goal would have been a cross.

It is very clear to see the Pep influence in how Rodgers sets his team up.

51 minutes ago, Bailey said:

I know its early in the game and they are only playing Newcastle at home but if Silva needs any ideas on how to get a better balance in his midfield then he should just watch this game. Real width and a striker playing on the last man with two midfielders ahead of a single pivot. That single man (Ndidi) doesnt move from the middle of the pitch but Praet and Tielemans push forward in attack and move into the space in and around Vardy. When they don't have the ball they are back alongside Ndidi in a central 3. What is also good to see is the two central midfielders get into the box.

In the goal Leicester just scored, part of the reason Ricardo could run as far as he could was because Vardy was making the off the should run which created a lot of space. There was no Siggy type player occupying that space with his back to goal or a winger bring the full back inside with him making it easier to defend. If that was us the space for Ricardo would have been down the touchline meaning the only route to goal would have been a cross.

It is very clear to see the Pep influence in how Rodgers sets his team up.

Again, underlines the Sigurdsson problem. Praet and Tielemans are forward thinking midfielders, but they get back when not in possession like you say. I just don't think Sigurdsson can/wants to play like that. 

I don't think it's just a Pep influence. Klopp plays a very flat midfield 3. Sheff Utd, who deserved a point against the shite yesterday, play their best ball player (Norwood) deepest of a very well drilled 3. I reckon more than half of Prem teams now play with a genuine three man midfield. We're getting found out because we feel we have to play Sigurdsson. 

Let's just put our results in perspective.

1) We all believed we had the perfect schedule to start the season, playing two of the three promoted teams and others from the bottom half of the table. We've secured fewer than half of the available points from those games. Moreover, we lost to both of the promoted teams, including one at home.

2) We have no consistency when it comes to who plays each game. Is Walcott in or not? Is DC-L in or not? Is Bernard in or not? I understand there are two injuries, but we need consistency. And our substitutions have often been bizarre.

3) I've noted for years the very strong correlation between goal difference and league position: Obviously, the worse the goal difference, the lower the team's position. After this supposedly easy start, we have the 4th worst goal difference in the league, which places us 17th.

You'll remember that I'm usually the one to call for giving managers time (unless it's the crook), but these are damning facts, and I see no sign of these things changing. If we lose to Burnley, we will be in a very worrying situation. The top players Brands is bringing in will move on, and we'll be in a downward spiral. That has to stop - and stop soon.

3 hours ago, Cornish Steve said:

1) We all believed we had the perfect schedule to start the season, playing two of the three promoted teams and others from the bottom half of the table. We've secured fewer than half of the available points from those games. Moreover, we lost to both of the promoted teams, including one at home.

2) We have no consistency when it comes to who plays each game. Is Walcott in or not? Is DC-L in or not? Is Bernard in or not? I understand there are two injuries, but we need consistency. And our substitutions have often been bizarre.

3) I've noted for years the very strong correlation between goal difference and league position: Obviously, the worse the goal difference, the lower the team's position. After this supposedly easy start, we have the 4th worst goal difference in the league, which places us 17th.

You'll remember that I'm usually the one to call for giving managers time (unless it's the crook), but these are damning facts, and I see no sign of these things changing. If we lose to Burnley, we will be in a very worrying situation. The top players Brands is bringing in will move on, and we'll be in a downward spiral. That has to stop - and stop soon.

This.

Of the (only) five teams below us in the league, two have a better goal difference.  Last season for example, if we were one of 5 teams on, say, 28 points we  would always be bottom of that group due to our poor goals difference.  Looks to be going the same way this season.

23 hours ago, nogs said:

Again, underlines the Sigurdsson problem. Praet and Tielemans are forward thinking midfielders, but they get back when not in possession like you say. I just don't think Sigurdsson can/wants to play like that. 

I don't think it's just a Pep influence. Klopp plays a very flat midfield 3. Sheff Utd, who deserved a point against the shite yesterday, play their best ball player (Norwood) deepest of a very well drilled 3. I reckon more than half of Prem teams now play with a genuine three man midfield. We're getting found out because we feel we have to play Sigurdsson. 

I think he can play that way it's just that he is instructed not to. I have seen him play deeper for us and Iceland albeit not in the same way. I certainly see no reason why he couldn't play that way other than it wouldn't be ideal to have 3 boats playing alongside each other. 

The reason I say it's a Pep influence is because of how far forward the 2 central midfielders (as opposed to the DM) play and how wide the wingers stay for most of the build up. If you watch a Pep side, then Gundogan and KDB (as they were against us) play up against the back 4  effectively making their attacking line look like: 

Sterling - Gundogan - Jesus - KDB - Mahrez

Then they drop deeper from that position and rotate into the spaces created by that movement. Leicester do a very similar thing, but Liverpool and others not so much.

I agree with the last bit completely. I don't see how we progress until it is resolved. 

10 hours ago, Cornish Steve said:

Excellent post I  agree totally.  I have never thought he was  that sort of manager we could  do a good term with, but I was happy to give him the chance  and I think I still am as I do not know as much about this as Kenwright or Moshiri ,  besides this I know how many fans still dote on him,    To me he talks the talk  but he can not walk the walk.  

1 minute ago, Gwlad all over said:

West Ham and Brighton then very difficult November and December, change has to be sooner than later.

Both difficult games, can’t believe that we are playing ourselves into relegation form, absolutely no self confidence in the team in the last 4 games and not that better before.

Commentators on my feed noted the camera (twice) on Roy Keane, said he’s interested in getting back into managing.  Also said twice near end of match that this might well be Silva’s last match.  Is it obvious, or a wild stretch, to surmise they were implying Keane might be interested in replacing Silva?  Or is Keane more likely to be the next Man U manager?

3 minutes ago, Elston Gunnn said:

Commentators on my feed noted the camera (twice) on Roy Keane, said he’s interested in getting back into managing.  Also said twice near end of match that this might well be Silva’s last match.  Is it obvious, or a wild stretch, to surmise they were implying Keane might be interested in replacing Silva?  Or is Keane more likely to be the next Man U manager?

Yeah lets bring in the failed manager who was in the chair for Sunderland when we beat them 7-1, just what we need.