IGNORED

Marco Silva

2 hours ago, Shukes said:

I didn’t miss the point at all MJB, I just think a premier league player should be better than that, they should take responsibility.

Both players are to blame for me. I would be embarrassed to be either of them. But then I’m confident with my head.

Tough on Mina that. It’s come through a sea of bodies and I don’t think there’s much he could do.

Tim Howard got slated ( rightly ) towards the end of his time with us for similar efforts at commanding his area. Needed more from Pickford.

From what I've seen so far, neither DCL nor Cenk and even Kean doesn't fit his tactics. He doesn't want the striker to score but open spaces for attacking midfielder(s) and wingers, a goal from the striker is a bonus but not the main objective of his tactical approach. Maybe Kean can adapt to this but I don't DCL or Cenk will ever adapt.
So, in my opinion, I don't think it will be a long term deal for him. Eventually, supporters will be looking to the score than the game on the pitch. (or prospect) I still do not understand why Kean is not a starter already or Cenk deserves another chance as a starter if Kean is not ready. Well, I don't think Cenk will turn another chance into gold but still... DCL is not the answer after scoring a header weeks later.

From my perspective, a good manager should know what he has and make plans accordingly. Has he ever tried to play good old 4-4-2? Nope. Like it or not, Cenk is still an asset and maybe not the whole season but in some games, it can be a solution and can save points. Even DCL-Kean duo can worth to try... When the wingers or Siggy is not able to score, there is less chance for Everton to win the game and he has no other plans. I don't like his substitutions either...

On 23/09/2019 at 23:27, Btay said:

Tough on Mina that. It’s come through a sea of bodies and I don’t think there’s much he could do.

Tim Howard got slated ( rightly ) towards the end of his time with us for similar efforts at commanding his area. Needed more from Pickford.

I honestly thinkl he’s getting a pass on this one because people like him and are willing him to succeed haha. I’m the first to say we all have our opinions..... but I’m finding it really hard to see why a header on the back of your head that’s four foot from the ground isn’t your fault!

I mean come on, it’s harder to get under that ball than let it hit your chest haha. 

Im saying this with a smile by the way 😉

20 hours ago, Shukes said:

If you go and look at predictions and expectations for the coming season you will find I was one who wasn’t getting carried away at all. 

Without looking I think I was going for seventh place but close the gap between sixth and have a go at the top teams. I stand by that.

My argument has nothing to do with stats or results at the moment. My biggest point is that we are playing much better than with Sam... again I stand 100% behind that. You don’t agree, that’s fine. But if we went back to that boring pile of crap I would probably use my weekend time elsewhere this season.

I also pointed out we had a younger team that can o it get better. I stand by that 100%. You don’t, thats fine.

I also think we have been the better team in every single match so far this season, until we have fell behind and bottled it. I stand by that 100%.

I understand your points mate, I really do. I just see it differently. I think Kean will be a good player, but he isn’t ready to o lead us yet. But I do believe he will be a solid forward.

Iwobi excites me. Very direct and can be a game winner. 

Gbamin hasn't had a chance yet to show if he is a good signing or not.

Gomes in injured. 

We played Wolves a few weeks ago, and I came away feeling that could have been five easily. The score flattered them. Against Villa I never felt in trouble, until we were chasing the game. 

Football is a game of fine margins. We’re the wrong side of them at the moment, but I feel we can easily change that.

Anyway, it’s all about opinions and I respect yours mate. 

It's all about opinions. That's why we come on here......mine mostly to vent!!!

The players aren't hiding, their getting a hiding because of poor tactics. I don't see any of the players hiding from the ball, could do with more leaders but that starts with the manager. 

Seriously struggling to see how anyone is willing to give this guy more time. He's clearly incompetent using the same unproductive tactics every week, (it's that poor sides are getting results from us on effort alone) and then there's the subs, we laughed when Walter Smith used Steve Watson up front but even that had more logic to it than Silva's like for like when your chasing a game or shear desperation. 

Sticking on the subs issue, just think how many times we have been crying for a change only to them concede as he's left it too late. Newcastle game being the main one that comes to mind. 

I agree Pete. For all the people who say give him time and things don’t happen quickly, do you think if we’d have appointed Brendan Rodgers instead of Silva, we would be where we are now? I think we’d be a major threat to the big teams. A proven manager used to winning. Not losing, like our guy...

Even pelligrini would have been a better appointment.

19 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

you missed his point.  he was trying to get out of the way because he knew it would be an own goal, which it was.  It was 100% on pickford for me, i'd look to sell him honestly, he's overrated and english which means he could be worth 80m.

If Mina had stood up, he clears it. Ducking caused the OG. Even if it hadn’t they had an unmarked player on the back post to tap it in

16 hours ago, Sir McGiven said:

From what I've seen so far, neither DCL nor Cenk and even Kean doesn't fit his tactics. He doesn't want the striker to score but open spaces for attacking midfielder(s) and wingers, a goal from the striker is a bonus but not the main objective of his tactical approach. Maybe Kean can adapt to this but I don't DCL or Cenk will ever adapt.
So, in my opinion, I don't think it will be a long term deal for him. Eventually, supporters will be looking to the score than the game on the pitch. (or prospect) I still do not understand why Kean is not a starter already or Cenk deserves another chance as a starter if Kean is not ready. Well, I don't think Cenk will turn another chance into gold but still... DCL is not the answer after scoring a header weeks later.

From my perspective, a good manager should know what he has and make plans accordingly. Has he ever tried to play good old 4-4-2? Nope. Like it or not, Cenk is still an asset and maybe not the whole season but in some games, it can be a solution and can save points. Even DCL-Kean duo can worth to try... When the wingers or Siggy is not able to score, there is less chance for Everton to win the game and he has no other plans. I don't like his substitutions either...

Agree with some of this, disagree with some of it. Wanting your wide forwards to score plenty doesn't mean you have to play like Liverpool with Firmino as a false 9. Look at City, their front 3 all bang them in. I do agree about adjusting to the players you have, though. Which brings me to a point about DCL - if Silva wanted to play the withdrawn 9 card and get Richarlison/Bernard scoring, why the hell did we spend all of Saturday launching high crosses into the box against three big, rugged CBs without our best target man on the pitch? It was embarrassingly naive, even worse when he brought Tosun on (who just isn't remotely good enough, I'm afraid). 

I am with you, though. I'd like to see him at least try a 4-4-2, I think it's the only way we'll get a tune out of Sigurdsson. I worry about centre mid especially without Gomes and Digne and Coleman would have to play as traditional full backs, but it's worth a go. 

On 23/09/2019 at 18:58, Shukes said:

I think we need to throw some back onto the players. The first goal Saturday was just embarrassing. A keeper who should have gone through the attackers to get to the ball, and a 6.7” who somehow managed to duck so low, that the ball hit him on the back of his head.

Cut out the mistakes and suddenly we look completely different. 

Richarlison had a great chance. I didn’t realise how bad a miss it was until I got on the coach and watched the highlights.

I agree, the players definitely need to stand up.

23 hours ago, Shukes said:

His is what I mean. We had Jags before him, a player that would put his body on the line to stop a goal, now we have a player who wants to get out of the way!

I k ow that’s not what you mean, but it’s schoolboy stuff, always play to the whistle, always watch the ball not the player, and never expect someone else to deal with it.

Also agree, he should be playing the ball in the expectation that Pickford doesn't get there ahead of him.

8 hours ago, sydneyneil said:

I agree Pete. For all the people who say give him time and things don’t happen quickly, do you think if we’d have appointed Brendan Rodgers instead of Silva, we would be where we are now? I think we’d be a major threat to the big teams. A proven manager used to winning. Not losing, like our guy...

Even pelligrini would have been a better appointment.

Rodgers is a good manager, but time will tell how he does at Leicester. As for Pellegrini, I have no idea why you think he would have been a better choice than Silva when you consider we finished above them last season. He has won as many major trophies in Europe as Silva (3), though 2 of them were league cups and he couldn't win anything with Real Madrid.

This is what I mean when I have said before about finding a quality manager. If we are just going to go down the route of appointing other middle of the road managers then what is the point.

There are very few managers that have actually won anything in the game because the top leagues are monopolised by the top teams. So the teams underneath have to go either go for one of the managers that do the rounds or take a gamble. Unless luis Enrique or someone of that stature comes up I think every appointment is a risk. Moyes was, Martinez was koeman maybe less so. 

1 minute ago, MikeO said:

I'd like him to be put in a case, is that the same?

A lead case. Don’t want that arrogant twat anywhere near us. He will have to swallow his pride soon though. Madrid look like they will go for alonso or someone of that ilk. Tuchel looks comfy at psg. Barca will probably get xavi. If poch leaves spurs for united which I think could happen in the summer I don’t think spurs fans would want him. Luis Enrique looks a natural fit for me. No compensation fee for levy. Where does he go? 

Maybe I'm wrong with the Pellegrini shout but after 6 games they look to have improved. You just want to see progression right? I don' t see it. I know we've won tonight but I won't go quiet after beating a Championship reserve team. If anything positive is to come from tonight, he did change it (although I think he would have anyhow regardless of Saturday's result) and maybe now we can all realise that DCL is definitely our best option up front right now. And he's obviously open to Iwobi in the Attacking mid role. 

5 hours ago, Elston Gunnn said:

The specific details here re Silva’s approach are discomfiting.  I don’t advocate “Silva out now,” but if this article is accurate, this worries me.

Why? What's so bad about getting players to practice more and improve on what they've clearly been shit at?

Players asked to improve and cut out mistakes that are costing the team, manager gets it in the ear. Crazy logic, but in the modern footballing world the player is coddled to shit. Fuck that. Work hard, end of story.

10 hours ago, Cornish Steve said:

The answer is ‘yes’. It’s the manager who instills confidence, belief, and urgency. The manager makes clear the price to be paid when a player refuses to give his all. Indeed, these are among the principal responsibilities of any manager. 

So i dont like the manager im going to do stupid things and not try my best, strange view of a professional sportsman.

bad decisions by the players is causing our problems, or shall we change the manager again as they did the same for the last 4 managers.

Funnily enough  the same players made school boy errors under them.

So the answer is NO

There's a good article in The Athletic about Silva. Most interesting tidbit is he'd like to play 4-3-3 but injuries have stopped him from doing that. He would want to play Delph, Gomes and Gbami in midfield and Iwobi, Richarlison and DCL or Kean up front. So no space for  Gylfi.

That article also claims that team spirit is good and players do like Silva and his methods. They don't blame him for the slump.They don't really want a new coach with yet again new ideas and style.