IGNORED

Marco Silva

7 minutes ago, Wiggytop said:

Both difficult games, can’t believe that we are playing ourselves into relegation form, absolutely no self confidence in the team in the last 4 games and not that better before.

No they’re both wins. If we actually play for wins. 

I need to go calm down...

4 minutes ago, MikeO said:

Yeah lets bring in the failed manager who was in the chair for Sunderland when we beat them 7-1, just what we need.

I will genuinely give up if that takes charge. I’ve lived through Walker, Smith and the last one. If he gets the job the club is dead to me

2 minutes ago, Gwlad all over said:

West Ham and Brighton then very difficult November and December, change has to be sooner than later.

In my head he had until Christmas purely because he has shown he can get the team to work. But he’s almost deliberately ignoring things. Pete was right.

Maybe the Keane-sighting and comments about Silva’s maybe-last match is no more than media need to speculate, stir things up. Maybe literally a coincidence.  Keane’s spat with Solskjaer is in the news, just the latest of Keane’s argy-bargy with pretty much everyone.

i don’t want him as manager either.  But it wouldn’t surprise me if he’s part of the speculation in coming days.  Everton are a mess, just now along with Spurs the leading “how embarrassing” stories.

30 minutes ago, Elston Gunnn said:

Commentators on my feed noted the camera (twice) on Roy Keane, said he’s interested in getting back into managing.  Also said twice near end of match that this might well be Silva’s last match.  Is it obvious, or a wild stretch, to surmise they were implying Keane might be interested in replacing Silva?  Or is Keane more likely to be the next Man U manager?

I think it is just co-incidence. There is no way Keane will walk into a Premier League job IMO with his record.

I am also surprised by how much people rate West Ham.

Maybe we just want all the Keanes/Keans in football. 

In seriousness, I think it’s time to go. I don’t want them to pull the trigger until a replacement is lined up though. We can’t go through another uncertain time of Unsworth in charge. 
A good director of football will be looking at other managers even when things are going well, so I would hope Marcel has a few he could recommend to Moshiri. We have an international break to get it done. 

At the moment I see managers like Dyche and Wilder getting poor teams playing winning football. I’m not saying hire these guys, but I think both of these could do more with our players and at least get a bit of fight out of them. 

I wanted Marco Silva to get at least until the end of the year before any decisions are made about his future, but he's making it very hard to support him and give him more time. Silva is our fourth Manager since Moyes and we're had several player changers in that time,  yet the same issues still exist. There is obviously a deeper problem at the club than just having the wrong Manager, and it needs to be addressed. Anyway, let's get Arséne Wenger in.

5 minutes ago, Heath said:

I wanted Marco Silva to get at least until the end of the year before any decisions are made about his future, but he's making it very hard to support him and give him more time. Silva is our fourth Manager since Moyes and we're had several player changers in that time,  yet the same issues still exist. There is obviously a deeper problem at the club than just having the wrong Manager, and it needs to be addressed. Anyway, let's get Arséne Wenger in.

Now that is a bloody interesting shout!

21 minutes ago, Bailey said:

I think it is just co-incidence. There is no way Keane will walk into a Premier League job IMO with his record.

I am also surprised by how much people rate West Ham.

They have recruited well over the last couple of seasons. Diop at the back, rice in midfield and their front four of Anderson, lanzini yarmelenko and haller can open most teams up 

I noted in the game thread that I'd like to see Unsworth be given the role until the end of this year. But I have more to say on this, because the problems we have we really can fix.

Pickford: He must be getting frustrated. I get the sense that he needs reinforcing support. He's still comparatively young, but we're treating him like a veteran. The last thing we need is for Pickford to just go through the motions while looking to jump to another team. Let's not overlook him. On the other hand, why aren't we playing Lossl in cup games?

Defence: Keane and Mina need time to forge a partnership, but the zonal approach to defence is a big mistake. These two have the right skills to do well; the problem right now is tactical. A strong and proven defensive coach would see this and address it quickly. I know Coleman had a great game recently (against City), but now is the time to alternate him with Sidibe, who has to be the longer-term option. Digne relies on confidence, of which he's getting a little short.

Midfield: This is our biggest problem by far. As I write so many times, games are won and lost in midfield. There's no strong leadership. There's no urgency. Too often, it's the easy backward pass or simple sideways pass. (I was once a strong chess player, and that's a good analogy: you can either make safe moves and lose or have a clear strategy and go for it.) The midfield should be our engine, but too often we're running on idle. Give Gomes and Davies a go: experience and energy. Davies will make mistakes, but he needs that chance. You can't improve without making mistakes and learning from them. And, if we're going to spend in coming windows, splurge on a really top-class midfield leader.

Up front: Why ever are we not playing two up front: DC-L and Kean? Anyone with eyes to see knows that DC-L creates loads of chances for a goal poacher, so why not play to that strength? The lad has kept going, and puts in his all, but he's being wasted right now. Add Iwobi behind them, with Bernard or Richarlison (who needs a real rocket under him right now) to add their trickery, and we really could be scoring a lot of goals. Kean is admittedly unproven for now, but give the lad a chance. Why buy him, play him in ever-changing configurations for a few minutes at a time, and then slam him for not scoring?

There's no role in this team for Schneiderlin. I just don't see it. There's no urgency. There's poor judgment. Good that he plays the occasional great pass, but one redeeming feature does not a starter make. His lackadaisical attitude (which may be an unfair judgment on a calm personality) can spread, and we need energy and urgency in midfield. Neither is there a role for Sigurdsson. He too has redeeming features, but they are not enough to justify a starter role right now. I've always struggled to see where exactly he fits in our team configuration, and I still don't see it. He's a bit of a square peg in a round hole.

A good manager will see the problems right away. I'd go so far as to say that, if we bring in an insightful and motivating manager, our results could turn around on a dime, as they say. Sorry Marco, but you do not pass Go - although you'd be collecting more than $200.

2 minutes ago, Finn balor said:

They have recruited well over the last couple of seasons. Diop at the back, rice in midfield and their front four of Anderson, lanzini yarmelenko and haller can open most teams up 

I wouldnt say they are any better than Mina, Gomes, Digne, Bernard, Iwobi etc. Lanzini is very good but he was a Bilic signing I think and Rice came through the ranks.

Just now, Finn balor said:

Yeah I was highlighting what good players they had I wasn’t implying they were all recent signings 

Fair enough.

Speaking of Rice though, flicked onto the game. I see Rice challenging McCarthy in the air, 25-30 yards out from Palace's goal, he wins it but the ball goes down the left where Cresswell is bombing down the flank to try and get onto it. He doesnt and the ball then goes back down the left flank near the half way line as Zaha tries to dribble out but Rice is already there picking up the ball again, before laying off a couple of passes, runs with the ball through the middle and lays it off to the right wing to set up an attack that Lanzini should have done better with.

I wish I could see that level of responsibility from a player in an Everton shirt. Delph would probably come closest but you couldnt imagine Schneiderlin, Gomes or Davies doing that.

I'm getting the feeling that we were in this same position last season with most people saying we would be relegated, I think we all need to calm down.

Gomes and Gamin back in midfield, Barnard back on the wing with Digne and Iwobi as a number 10 cos Siggy needs to be rested. I wouldn't be a bit surprised if we went on a winning run very very soon.  Don't panic Mr Mainwaring. 😊

Another loss now makes it 3 in a row in the league, along with another display with a lack of discipline and another red card.

After 3 transfer windows, Marco hasnt been able to make the players he has been given tick, and has failed to implement an effective system with any form of consistency or direction.

The team clearly seem more comfortable when organised and playing on the counter, but miffed and one dimensional when asking to break an organised team down.

It is far too easy for the opposition to exploit us in 2 main areas

1) Set pieces with our zonal marking - which granted seemed to phase out during the arse end of last season but has returned, and

2) Teams shutting out offensive play in wide areas - which clearly does not seem that difficult to do when they have limited our space in behind. We have nowhere near enough quality to break teams down in the middle of the park, and at most times and surprisingly, no intent to when the wide play is clearly not working.

Where to now? WHU (H), BHA (A) and Watford (H) are our next 3 fixtures before we play Spurs (H). Either we sack him now and get someone to take over for the last 4/5ths of the season, or linger about long enough to witness him have a mini revelation mid to end season and probably crash and burn at the start of next year.

We are 17th - this is no joke we need to move quick before we have another Allerdyce scenario. At this moment in time, we ARE relegation form. This can only happen so many times before we actually are relegated.

We have absolutely no balance as a team. We look so much better against the big boys than we do the newly promoted sides. Far too big for our boots and have no idea of our place in the league.

16 minutes ago, Bailey said:

Now that is a bloody interesting shout!

Well I would imagine that Wenger is available. He's a winner with a massive amount of Premier League and European experience. Everton are a well established Club with a rich history, and a healthy budget... he may just be up for the challenge. With the amount of compensation we've paid to clubs and managers, we could have used that money going big and paying for a top manager to come in. Just a thought.

10 minutes ago, Heath said:

Well I would imagine that Wenger is available. He's a winner with a massive amount of Premier League and European experience. Everton are a well established Club with a rich history, and a healthy budget... he may just be up for the challenge. With the amount of compensation we've paid to clubs and managers, we could have used that money going big and paying for a top manager to come in. Just a thought.

I completely agree. The only question with Wenger would be whether you get the manager that managed the invicibles or the one that ended his career at Arsenal.

If there was ever a manager to be a stabilising figure, almost a safe pair of hands, then it would be him.