IGNORED

Crystal Palace (Away) Saturday August 10th

markjazzbassist

30 minutes ago, Keith B said:

Good:

Coleman--First half looked like he turned back the clock 3 or 4 years.
Pickford--Came up big when called upon.
Gomes--Performance dipped tremendously when he went off.

Bad

Bernard--He pulls of a tricky move then gives the ball away too easily. 
Gylfi--He's on the pitch to bury the chance he had very early in the match. Gave the ball up much too easily after that and was basically a non-factor at best and a malefactor at worst.
Gbamin--not up to PL speed just yet. Gets a pass from me since he probably doesn't even know all his teammates' names yet.
Schnederlin--two dumb cards ruin an otherwise solid performance.

Others worth mentioning: Keane and Mina looked solid. Looking forward to that relationship developing further.

Agreed on all accounts.

Keane and Mina looked very solid. Gylfi had a nightmare - doesn’t happen often. 

Frankly, same old Everton. Gylfi and Séamus missed ‘easy’ chances in the first half, game over from there. We won’t be competing for top 6 until our finishing improves, it’s that simple. 

What the hell happens next week with our CMs? From 7 bodies down to 2 in 48 hours. Davies and Gbamin left with Delph and Gomes hurt, Schneiderlin suspended, McCarthy sold, Besic loaned. 

3 hours ago, Finn balor said:

Well Marco says he wants people worried about their positions. Well if people don’t perform they should be dropped. Gilfi should be on the bench 

On a different day he gets a brace. Think he had the most shots for us and most on target and was unlucky with 2 of those. 

4 hours ago, Keith B said:

Good:

Coleman--First half looked like he turned back the clock 3 or 4 years.
Pickford--Came up big when called upon.
Gomes--Performance dipped tremendously when he went off.

Bad

Bernard--He pulls of a tricky move then gives the ball away too easily. 
Gylfi--He's on the pitch to bury the chance he had very early in the match. Gave the ball up much too easily after that and was basically a non-factor at best and a malefactor at worst.
Gbamin--not up to PL speed just yet. Gets a pass from me since he probably doesn't even know all his teammates' names yet.
Schnederlin--two dumb cards ruin an otherwise solid performance.

Others worth mentioning: Keane and Mina looked solid. Looking forward to that relationship developing further.

Didn’t think Schneiderlin looked great in the moments I witnessed. Gave the ball away pretty cheaply a few times, as did Siggy all game.

I don’t think it was as bad as many are making out.

We were clearly the better team throughout. Their chances came from slip ups, new guy bedding in, and counter attacks. 

Siggys miss was terrible. Coleman has little time and goal to aim at. Richarlison came close on a few occasions, and we had one cleared of the line. 

We need to remember this is the premier league.  We’re not going to go to any team and have them roll over for us. They create chances against City, Liverpool, Spurs, all of them. But we still ran out with a clean sheet.... which was our biggest worry wasn’t it? 

Goals will come, we can see that. Midfield will close up. Defence didn’t look like the gaping hole we thought it would. First away game, 1 point and a clean sheet!

We had our possession as they were comfortable with us having the ball and looking to counter. For all that extra possession we only had one more shot on target, 3 to their 2, but only managed to force 2 corners to their 6. Our only big chance fell to Sigurdssen and that was thanks to a very poor clearance getting headed straight to him. We were closer to losing the game than winning, Pickford was motm for most of us as he saved us a point. Yesterday wasn't good enough, those same tactics didn't work only a couple of months ago and I don't see what Silva done differently to think it would be effective this time around. Subs again baffling, Gbamin is clearly not ready to the pace of the league and Davies would have been the better option, at a minimum Silva should have done a double sub and took Sigurdssen (or Schneiderlin so Gbamin could play his more natural position) off and put Davies on to help Gbamin. DCL wasn't getting the ball, we needed a change to help the ball get to the striker not a like for like substitution. We've just prised away one of the biggest up and coming talents and only give him 2 touches in half an hour on his debut. 

I'll throw my two cents into the ring having had a day to mull things over. There were positives out there for sure, but to only come away from what is a really poor Crystal Palace team with a point is rather deflating. From the minute the teamsheet was announced the obvious prediction was a 0-0 draw, we have been comfortable defending to say the least this summer and have looked solid up front but for all the chances we've created throughout pre-season there has been nobody up top in the final third to kill teams off. Whilst it's not fair to pin the entire blame on DCL the sooner we get Kean up to speed and firing on all cylinders the better, although the players around the striker need to look at themselves too. Sigurdsson has to bury his chance no questions asked and the half chances that we create need to be met with a finish as it's what splits teams like us from the elite. Had Manchester City been playing Palace yesterday they would have found a way through, not from genius football that we couldn't replicate but by simply having that killer instinct. 

The positives to take away from the game is that we are creating chances as opposed to hanging onto games. Having the ball cleared off the line in the second half summed up our afternoon to be honest, 99% of the way there but just not that final bit of luck to get the ball over the line. I'm hopeful that this will come throughout the season starting with Watford at home who were beaten 3-0 on the opening day. 

As the team goes, Jordan Pickford was my MOTM. In the second half we were having our right-wing pants pulled down as Palace constantly overloaded us on the left. That save when Ayew was played through on his own was world-class and is the difference between winning and losing. His half-saves throughout the game were nice and tidy too, especially the block at the end which could have easily cost us the match. A great start to the season for him picking up a clean sheet.  

In defence, Digne was superb as was the middle pairing of Yerry Mina and Michael Keane. I do worry about the pace (or lack of it) that we have in the middle but hopefully it doesn't bite us on the backside too many times, especially if Jordan plays as a sweeper keeper in the mould of Manuel Neuer or Ederson. The only chink in the armour, and it pains me to say it was Seamus. Great going forward, especially in the first half but constantly got dragged out of position and left us exposed on the right flank in the second. Several times we allowed Palace to get in behind through that avenue and against better opposition it would have been punished, thankfully Zaha was on the bench and was marked out of the game when he came off it.

In the middle, as others have said the best player on the park was André Gomes. He orchestrated the play and after he went off the pitch we really suffered. I know that it's Gbamin's first game but he was really poor. The number of times that he gave the ball away and put us under pressure wasn't funny and even though it was a baptism of fire for the lad he needs to get up to speed quickly - especially as he will surely start at the weekend. Schneiderlin alongside Gomes wasn't that bad throughout the 90 but can't complain about two horrendous bookings that just didn't need to happen, he can only have himself to blame for heading into the dressing room early, even if the first yellow was dubious. 

Bernard and Richarlison looked entertaining on the wings but the latter looked badly off the pace. There's an element of rustiness running through the squad and it's no difference up top. Sigurdsson in the No. 10 role failed to have an impact on the match, badly firing wide in the opening few minutes when it looked for all the money in the world we'd take the lead. DCL as already mentioned put in a good graft but isn't at the level yet to carry the weight of a team wanting to break into the top 6. The sooner we have Kean fit the better - hopefully Watford. 

Bottom line - as André says. It's a continuation of the 2018/19 season with solid defending, not many chances getting through and a clean sheet to kick start the season. Once the engine is oiled and we start to really tick the goals will come and we can push on, Watford were spanked 3-0 at home so we've absolutely nothing to fear. 

There are always a few weird results first day of the season. The back five is encouraging but I don’t want it to be the same thing every other game that we don’t take our chances. If gilfi bangs that in it’s a totally different game and we might have gone on to win comfortably. I would be seriously looking at taking gilfi out next week and try Bernard or Iwobi there. Could Davies play there? 

48 minutes ago, Finn balor said:

There are always a few weird results first day of the season. The back five is encouraging but I don’t want it to be the same thing every other game that we don’t take our chances. If gilfi bangs that in it’s a totally different game and we might have gone on to win comfortably. I would be seriously looking at taking gilfi out next week and try Bernard or Iwobi there. Could Davies play there? 

He could certainly stand in the same area of the pitch. That’s about it. 

8 hours ago, Shukes said:

I don’t think it was as bad as many are making out.

We were clearly the better team throughout. Their chances came from slip ups, new guy bedding in, and counter attacks. 

Siggys miss was terrible. Coleman has little time and goal to aim at. Richarlison came close on a few occasions, and we had one cleared of the line. 

We need to remember this is the premier league.  We’re not going to go to any team and have them roll over for us. They create chances against City, Liverpool, Spurs, all of them. But we still ran out with a clean sheet.... which was our biggest worry wasn’t it? 

Goals will come, we can see that. Midfield will close up. Defence didn’t look like the gaping hole we thought it would. First away game, 1 point and a clean sheet!

Well put mate. 

3 hours ago, Matt said:

Just watching the extended highlights and we should’ve had a corner from DCLs header that went just wide after Coleman’s shot was blocked. Can blame him for poor finishing there. 

Yes I saw it bounced off the defenders head, but couldn’t be bothered to argue anymore haha. Don’t want to end up calling him Idrissa Calvert Lewyn!