IGNORED

Spurs (Home) Sunday November 3rd

markjazzbassist

Very tough day. On the whole I thought the shape was a lot better, bar the chance we handed to them on the plate they did absolutely nothing. We just lacked quality time and time again. Our decision making and execution were both terrible for 95% of the game.

None of that matters though really... I wish Gomes all the best and I hope to see him wear the shirt again.

Well, as a human, all thoughts to Gomes. Awful injury. Class player. Hope to see him make a full recovery.

As an Evertonian, shit just keeps sticking to us. We again shoot ourselves in the foot with that woeful pass that lead to the goal. Shit just keeps happening and it's too frustrating.

As for VAR, I'm not a fan. Never have been and for me it's getting more inconsistent as the weeks go on. It's getting worse rather than better.

Stuck for words tbh. Feel quite emotional for some reason. Life of an Evertonian eh.

No idea where to start with that. The Gomes injury... I just wish him a full recovery coz that looked horrendous. 

VAR... The PL is in the verge on making the world's greatest football league the biggest laughing stock. How clear does the Alli handball have to be? Why wasn't there even a free kick for the Sanchez foul on Richarlison? Why is Atkinson as a top flight referee unable to see that himself? 

In terms of how we played... I'm glad we showed enough fight to keep going and get the draw, Spurs were utter shite and didn't deserve the win. I thought Davies and Delph played really well in midfield, as did Mina and Holgate at the back. But fuck me we've got problems up front. Iwobi was woeful all game, Richarlison has to stop the rolling around shit it is embarrassing. I just don't see where goals are coming from. With injuries exposing how threadbare the squad is I'm expecting a long hard winter. 

2 hours ago, Bailey said:

Oh Theo. Squares that properly and Gomes will have a shot from the edge of the box.

Gomes just as much at fault for not making a better run. 

32 minutes ago, Bailey said:

Whilst it was a foul it wasnt the challenge that did it. Looked like one of those things that can happen in a contact sport. Its not even a red card.

Completely agree. Fucking horrible result from the tackle not it's a freak situation in his ankle rolling over. Hopefully he's young enough for it to heal up and come back from it. 

VAR was an absolute joke today. No idea how the Dele pen wasn't given or the fk at the end when Richarlison pinched the ball. Son shouldn't have been a red either. 

Martin Atkinson gifted them the point today as much as Iwobi's pass was a shocker. He gave everything their way, takes the wind out of players and knocks your momentum. Joke that he's allowed any where near an Everton game. 

10 minutes ago, TallPaul1878 said:

For those of you confused with today's game, let me explain yo you what VAR is and how it is used.

VAR is a tool for the Premier League to manipulate results. There can be no other explanation after over 100 Premier League matches played with it's use. This is not a teething issue, it is not gross stupidity from the referees. It is SPECIFICALLY to manipulate the results of the game.

I agree pal. The shite got a token gesture yesterday and they went mad and started a petition over the ref. The gomes injury I whole heartedly blame on the referee. He was fucking awful. He allowed shite challenge after shite and gave us nowt. VAR is shite and I hate it but Ali clearly handballs it and we get nowt? It’s a corrupt sport. Like boxing and horse racing 

49 minutes ago, MockBu4 said:

Awful game with long lasting consequences.
Best wishes for Gomes full recovery.

100%

49 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

Absolutely fuming and devastated all at once. That’s all I’m saying about that game. End of story. 

And again 100%, never felt worse after a game I’ve been to, wrong to say too much now.

Wow where do I start...... on the m6 services on way home and I can’t recall having so many mixed emotions. I was incandescent with a number of decisions today. I hate is moaning about decisions and luck but we’ve been on the end of some shockers of late. The VAR for the Ali handball took forever and took the sting out of what was our best period of the game....& was way more of a pen than last weeks shambles. The atmosphere today was toxic and we shouldn’t let the poor decisions and horrific injury distract from another pitiful performance. How they can only add 12 mins on is a disgrace as the VAR decision and the injury was just over 13 mins by themselves. Most importantly I wish Gomes all the best in his recovery but this will leave a huge whole in the squad. Both teams today look devoid of all confidence and I’m worried for us going forward. Sorry for the poorly written, scattergun approach but I’m seething.

17 minutes ago, Gwlad all over said:

Rugby friends told me in their sport the VAR is shown on big screen and they see what the refs are reviewing. In football seems it is behind closed doors.

You can also hear what they're saying, not sure about in the ground but certainly on TV and you can also hear what the ref is saying to the players; much clearer system.

11 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

When they were checking our penalty absolutely no one around me knew what the penalty would even have been for. It’s ridiculous that it’s not shown on the screen what’s being looked at. 

It's ridiculous. There should be clarity/visibility into what's being looked at. I'm no conspiracy theorist by any means, but VAR has felt shady since it's inception.

1 hour ago, Sibdane said:

It's ridiculous. There should be clarity/visibility into what's being looked at. I'm no conspiracy theorist by any means, but VAR has felt shady since it's inception.

There must be accountability. Refs for too long haven’t had to even justify a decision. Even if they get it wrong - which happens and people can accept, at least offer the thought process behind that decision.

14 minutes ago, Btay said:

There must be accountability. Refs for too long haven’t had to even justify a decision. Even if they get it wrong - which happens and people can accept, at least offer the thought process behind that decision.

Completely agree. It's absolutely insane that refs get away with so much. What's the reason?

3 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

When they were checking our penalty absolutely no one around me knew what the penalty would even have been for. It’s ridiculous that it’s not shown on the screen what’s being looked at. 

Same in my section and nobody appealed either! What’s even more crazy is that it took 3 mins to make a decision and by that time everyone around me had it on their phones anyway so I can’t see why they don’t show it! I actually was ok with the decision but as I’ve said before I want consistency. I don’t want to be done with the same thing going against us in the next game. The Richarlison incident was a penalty yet that took them about 10 seconds to say no 🤦‍♂️ 

Apparently VAR was right about the red card. Intent has been removed so it's a red if you cause an injury.

PGMOL Guidance on VAR calls

On Dele Alli's handball penalty incident: The VAR Anthony Taylor considered that both Alli and Mina were challenging for the ball in the air and Alli was under pressure from the attacker as the ball struck his hand. In his view it was not a clear and obvious error.

On Son Heung-min's red card: The red card, issued by the on-field referee, for Son was for endangering the safety of a player, which happened as a consequence of his initial challenge.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/12040/11853597/jamie-carragher-why-ive-changed-my-mind-about-var?fbclid=IwAR3DCzbueA5gbcveF5-j3DLVOpF9bwqIbIuevm2HGxOz5LApUp9mKU6GjvY

43 minutes ago, TallPaul1878 said:

The problem is that the Premier League have deliberately made the rules nebulous and open to interpretation. Our handball rule is different to that of the rest of the world. We have seen in Europe and international football that an accidental handball is still handball.

There has to be a cut off point where something becomes an infringement or else you get what we saw with Dele Alli and it is open to interpretation by the refs.

Putting my tin foil hat on for a minute I believe it is by design so that they can manipulate the rules to sway results in their favour.

I can understand the handball argument, two players going for the ball would be harsh if you're pushed off balance and hand hits it. But I can't see how they've come to that conclusion with the Dele one, clear as day handball, his hand is in an unnatural position and it's not there because of him Mina knocking into him. 

The Keane one was a disgrace last week, exactly the same thing happened in the Liverpool game this weekend but Mane got booked for diving. How can they give polar opposite decisions for exactly the same situation? 

2 hours ago, pete0 said:

Apparently VAR was right about the red card. Intent has been removed so it's a red if you cause an injury.

PGMOL Guidance on VAR calls

On Dele Alli's handball penalty incident: The VAR Anthony Taylor considered that both Alli and Mina were challenging for the ball in the air and Alli was under pressure from the attacker as the ball struck his hand. In his view it was not a clear and obvious error.

On Son Heung-min's red card: The red card, issued by the on-field referee, for Son was for endangering the safety of a player, which happened as a consequence of his initial challenge.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/12040/11853597/jamie-carragher-why-ive-changed-my-mind-about-var?fbclid=IwAR3DCzbueA5gbcveF5-j3DLVOpF9bwqIbIuevm2HGxOz5LApUp9mKU6GjvY

I was shouting for a red card before it even became apparent that it was a terrible injury. Son had an angry head on after a previous encounter with Gomes and wasn't making that challenge to win the ball, the whole intent of it was to hurt Gomes and put a hit on him. Obviously he wasn't intending to for Gomes to get as hurt as he did but it blew up in his face big time. It was reckless and dangerous no matter the end result for me and the red card was absolutely the right decision.

While I'm on the subject it's pissing me off no end the amount of sympathy that little shit is getting in the media, and from our own fucking players! He purposely hurt our player for fucks sake.

I'm even more angry about VAR now after the explanations. How is a ball hitting a player's hand above his head not a clear and obvious error yet Keane making innocuous contact with an opponent's foot last week was? And Where's the Richarlison trip? Sanchez knew he'd caught him, his reaction was 100% guilty, yet that's not even being discussed? The system is a fucking shambles, only the PL could make the miserable state of officiating in this sport worse by introducing technology. 

I just can’t get my head around the near universal sympathy for poor old Son from the pundits/ media . He will be playing again by December but he may well have ended Gomes’ career

He may not have intended to do the damage he did but it’s 100% a retaliatory and reckless shithouse challenge, he was absolutely nowhere near the ball and the reason he was crying is because he knows exactly what he did

It was incredulous that Twatkinson pulled out a yellow initially and now I’ve seen it on TV it has just confirmed that it can’t possibly have warranted anything other than a red card