IGNORED

Chelsea (Away) Sunday March 8th

markjazzbassist

It will be interesting to hear what Ancelotti has to say, I hope he doesn’t play down the way the players performed and I know he can’t speak about individuals in public, but I hope he criticises them as a team for their complete lack of effort and unprofessional approach to the game, then individually behind closed doors rips them a new one. 

48 minutes ago, memmaclub2 said:

IN my opinion we will not see the best of a Carlo team until a year or twos time. Next season for me is transition. We need to move out 4-6 high wage players and replace them with quality. I am not sure there is 7 first team players in that squad. I would say the stikers are the only ones who don't have question marks. Gomes for me needs someone next to him who does a shit load of running.

Let's walk through the list. I've highlighted in bold players who deserve to be first-team players. I make it six.

Pickford: Mostly OK, although I personally believe we should cash in on him to free up funds for others.
Sidibe: Out of his depth and should not be here.
Coleman: His best years are behind him.
Mina: Getting better and could become a rock in defence.
Keane: Maybe it's a lack of confidence, but we need someone better.
Holman: Naive at times, but he's going to be a great player.
Digne: I've been unconvinced for a while. I'd cash in on him.
Baines: Thank goodness for his commitment, but he's not a long-term option.
Gomes: Would be just fine with the right players around him in midfield.
Davies: Fine for a team in the bottom half of the table, not the top.
Sigurdsson: A mistake from day one, and playing him now just compounds that mistake.
Schneiderlin: One good game in ten does not make up for nine games of dross.
Bernard: I see him as a good substitute, not as a starter.
Walcott: Simply not good enough.
Iwobi: Has not shown himself to be anything special.
Richarlison: A great player, and he's not been making those embarrassing dives of late.
Calvert-Lewin: Evolving into another great player.
Kean: Has real potential but needs to adjust quickly to this league.

With Gordon and Kenny pushing their way forward, we should bring them into the team next season. But, more than anything, we desperately need a dominator, bully, powerful engine, oversized personality in midfield. That's what will turn us around. It would have made a big difference today - if we'd have got the formation right.

One other thing, and I say it begrudgingly: Well done Frank Lampard for getting everything right today.

Not that I believe the team selection would have mattered much today however... 

Yerry Mina and Holgate seemed to be out best pairing centrally. When Coleman is forced out through injury we need the defence to be as strong as possible. There have been too many changes in defence since ancelotti came in and i would have liked to see more consistency in the selection with there being a slight possibility in reaching for a spot in the Europa League. 

In midfield we were over run but I don't see who could have been a better pairing. We're stuck in that position at the minute as whoever pairs with Gomes has little influence on the game given the options we have. 

Move to LM the obsession Ancelotti currently has with Sigurdsson is baffling. He has played there for the past 3 games off memory and has looked completely ineffective and a liability. I would love to know his justification for doing this it really is puzzling. We would look much better with Bernard or Iwobi on the left with Walcott on the right. 

On the whole we have looked like we are adapting to a style and working towards an identity. Today we didn't look interested and allowed Chelsea to play through us in midfield and they dominated us. Richarlison and DCL might not have bothered pressing the CBs at all because the ball into Gilmour was always on with him in acers of space. Such a surprise that Ancellotti could be so tactically naive - seeing as he is described as tactically 'adaptable'. Either that or the players completely ignored his game plan. 

We have to get this result out of our head before the derby. 

I have to admit I was surprised at how many people were playing down Chelsea before the game, they aren't the machine that they were under Jose Mourinho but are still a very good outfit under a very good manager in Frank Lampard. I didn't expect anything from today, especially given out record at Stanford Bridge but seem to be in the minority. 

I've said it before but the remaining games are glorified friendlies for me, there is so much mess to fix that Walsh, Koeman, Sam and Silva left behind that will take a good summer to clear out and repair. We're never going to tear up trees with an obvious problem at right-back and a questionable centre midfield partnership. There are more than a handful of players that quite simply aren't good enough for European football which is exactly where we want to be so away trips to Arsenal and Chelsea will always see us second best and underdogs. 

Onto the next one, learn that bit more about each player and see where Carlo takes us in 2020/21. 

21 minutes ago, Zoo 2.0 said:

I've said it before but the remaining games are glorified friendlies for me, there is so much mess to fix that Walsh, Koeman, Sam and Silva left behind that will take a good summer to clear out and repair. We're never going to tear up trees with an obvious problem at right-back and a questionable centre midfield partnership. There are more than a handful of players that quite simply aren't good enough for European football which is exactly where we want to be so away trips to Arsenal and Chelsea will always see us second best and underdogs. 

Onto the next one, learn that bit more about each player and see where Carlo takes us in 2020/21. 

I think this is right. There are some pretty obvious problems in the team that will take a couple of seasons to fix. It doesn't excuse the lack of basically everything today, but we are on the right track for the medium term.

The amount of people questioning Ancellotti is baffling.  He is not beyond questioning but I can see what he is doing.... he is giving all players a fair run out before wielding the axe.  

The concerning thing is the amount of players who should not be wearing our shirt.... I will do a status of each player which reflects my opinion of them.

1. Pickford:-  if we can get better for less then buy them, if it means Pickford stays as a number 2/has competition then fine but we need a keeper of more reliability.

2. Sidebe:- if we can utilise the buy option for £13m and sell him immediately at a profit then that is the only way we should buy him.

3. Coleman:- backup that's it

4. Kenny:- see how he is but if he isn't up to it then sell

5. Michael Keane:-  poor. Get rid, too slow and doesn't concentrate

6. Holgate:- shit yesterday but been the only defensive shining light this season along with Baines cameos.  Keep and find a best partner.

7. Mina:- jury still out on him. Just not sure. I wanted more from him.

8. Digne:- needs to have a word with himself. Does he want to play for us? Looks unhappy, unsettled, moody.... 

9. Schneiderlein:- get rid asap. Stinks of the awful attitude we see in the team from time to time.

10. Delph:- get him gone. Leeds may want him if they get promoted. He can play Johnny big bollocks there.

11. Gomes;- build the team around

12. Richarlison:- build the team around 

13.Bernard:- need to find a way to get him involved because he is a great little player. 

14. Walcott:- if we can get a decent fee then sell him. Gordon has to be a better option

15. Tom Davies:- not good enough sadly. Find him a home. He's been messed about with different managers and needs to play footy 

16. DCL:- a good solid forward. Not a finisher but a great number 2

17. Kean:- high expectations. Looks a prospect.

18. Gbamin:- let's hope he isn't of the schneiderlein, Delph, Davies ilk and can be a partner for Gomes or a centre half partner for holgate. 

19. Iwobi:- inconsistent but I see a player there. Has a good attitude which is a start.

3 hours ago, Hafnia said:

The amount of people questioning Ancellotti is baffling.  He is not beyond questioning but I can see what he is doing.... he is giving all players a fair run out before wielding the axe.  

The concerning thing is the amount of players who should not be wearing our shirt.... I will do a status of each player which reflects my opinion of them.

1. Pickford:-  if we can get better for less then buy them, if it means Pickford stays as a number 2/has competition then fine but we need a keeper of more reliability.

2. Sidebe:- if we can utilise the buy option for £13m and sell him immediately at a profit then that is the only way we should buy him.

3. Coleman:- backup that's it

4. Kenny:- see how he is but if he isn't up to it then sell

5. Michael Keane:-  poor. Get rid, too slow and doesn't concentrate

6. Holgate:- shit yesterday but been the only defensive shining light this season along with Baines cameos.  Keep and find a best partner.

7. Mina:- jury still out on him. Just not sure. I wanted more from him.

8. Digne:- needs to have a word with himself. Does he want to play for us? Looks unhappy, unsettled, moody.... 

9. Schneiderlein:- get rid asap. Stinks of the awful attitude we see in the team from time to time.

10. Delph:- get him gone. Leeds may want him if they get promoted. He can play Johnny big bollocks there.

11. Gomes;- build the team around

12. Richarlison:- build the team around 

13.Bernard:- need to find a way to get him involved because he is a great little player. 

14. Walcott:- if we can get a decent fee then sell him. Gordon has to be a better option

15. Tom Davies:- not good enough sadly. Find him a home. He's been messed about with different managers and needs to play footy 

16. DCL:- a good solid forward. Not a finisher but a great number 2

17. Kean:- high expectations. Looks a prospect.

18. Gbamin:- let's hope he isn't of the schneiderlein, Delph, Davies ilk and can be a partner for Gomes or a centre half partner for holgate. 

19. Iwobi:- inconsistent but I see a player there. Has a good attitude which is a start.

You forgot Gylfi not surprised many forget he plays for us he’s that inadequate.

Or did I mean invisible. 

Just thinking about the "no midfield" comments we have made, don't forget we beat them 3-1 with just Schneiderlin and Siggy in the middle.

We might not have the midfield to play the way Ancellotti wants us to play but we do have the players to be effective, we just chose not to play that way.

3 minutes ago, Bailey said:

Just thinking about the "no midfield" comments we have made, don't forget we beat them 3-1 with just Schneiderlin and Siggy in the middle.

We might not have the midfield to play the way Ancellotti wants us to play but we do have the players to be effective, we just chose not to play that way.

we were missing morgan badly.  he and gomes would have been fine.  gylfi and davies were ghosts. 

1 hour ago, markjazzbassist said:

we were missing morgan badly.  he and gomes would have been fine.  gylfi and davies were ghosts. 

It wouldn't have made much difference in my opinion. He is an upgrade on Davies but it was far from the difference of being tonked or not. 

• 1 month later...