IGNORED

Ben Godfrey

• 4 months later...

I wasn't quite sure what to make of him last night.

He was all over the place at times but still contributed really positively to the overall team performance. Watching Mykolenko come on and then really struggle in his position also brings to light how bad our natural options are in that position when our back up (Vinagre) has ended up as 3rd choice. Its even worse when you think Thelwell used to work with him!

3 hours ago, Bailey said:

I wasn't quite sure what to make of him last night.

Me neither, his strengths are hard tackles and breaking out from defence with the ball, which usually ends up with a back pass as he runs out of ideas near opposition goal, and weakness is passing sideways, always seems scared to make a forward pass, granted his sideways pass last night to Keane was acceptable 😜

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

There is something very wrong with Ben Godfrey.

He's a shit full-back, on both sides, but it's not only that that is the issue. He's getting nowhere opposition players, doesn't seem to want to challenge them, can't keep up with them.

He's gone from a beast to a meek thing.

He’s just not as good as his potential looked when he first arrived. If he’s not needing to use his pace he’s got a problem. Man to man he’s poor, chasing someone down he looks good but it’s often from a mistake he’s already made. 
Full backs looked shite all round yesterday. 

1 hour ago, StevO said:

He’s just not as good as his potential looked when he first arrived. If he’s not needing to use his pace he’s got a problem. Man to man he’s poor, chasing someone down he looks good but it’s often from a mistake he’s already made. 
Full backs looked shite all round yesterday. 

I don't even think he looks good chasing players down now, he struggles to keep up.

I don't think he has ever been that good. I imagine the scouts were hoping that his tactical and general ability to defend would improve over time to match his physical attributes but they never have. The only time he looked a half decent player was under Ancellotti when we didn't get out of our half. 

Now he has seemingly lost his pace, his biggest asset has gone and he is just another bang average player who cost a lot of money and is on far too much for his actual ability. 

10 minutes ago, Bailey said:

I don't think he has ever been that good. I imagine the scouts were hoping that his tactical and general ability to defend would improve over time to match his physical attributes but they never have. The only time he looked a half decent player was under Ancellotti when we didn't get out of our half. 

Now he has seemingly lost his pace, his biggest asset has gone and he is just another bang average player who cost a lot of money and is on far too much for his actual ability. 

Long story short - he's shite.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Shukes said:

Not a bad player, but clearly a player lacking any confidence. 
Nowhere near as bad as being made out, but needs to be dropped.

Get him out of the firings line and get his head back on it to see what he’s got.

Thing is he’s not a RB and neither is Holgate, yet Dyche hung them both out to dry, Patterson is a RB and would have been far better playing there and that’s not me saying that in hindsight I was saying that soon as the teams got posted. So agree he’s not a bad player when he’s playing in his favoured position. 

11 hours ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

I do feel a bit sorry for him , his biggest asset was his pace but after the combination of long covid and the leg break he seems to have lost a few yards

How bad must Patterson be in training if he is now 4th choice RB behind Holgate & Godfrey?

The mind boggles. 

17 hours ago, Palfy said:

Thing is he’s not a RB and neither is Holgate, yet Dyche hung them both out to dry, Patterson is a RB and would have been far better playing there and that’s not me saying that in hindsight I was saying that soon as the teams got posted. So agree he’s not a bad player when he’s playing in his favoured position. 

I dont think either of them are CBs at this level either unfortunately. Holgate played a whole season in the Championship at RB.

The role we have our full backs play is really simple too. They arent being asked to raid forward or join in with midfield. They are basically being asked to play as a wide centre back and Godfrey in particular has the agility to do it. 

I don't think they are being hung out to dry at all, they just arent good enough but none of our full backs are at the moment.

I have no idea what our scouts do but they clearly aren't very good at spotting talent.

• 1 month later...

I am willing to give him another chance. Yes, he has had some horror games but most came at full-back.

I'd rather move on Holgate and Keane (if we can) and keep Godfrey as a backup CB. 

Apparently, there were bids for both Holgate and Keane in January that were rejected as they were from relegation-threatened clubs. 

That would leave Tarks + 1 new CB, Branthwaite, Godfrey and it looks like Coady as our CBs

I think Godfrey deserves time. 
There's a player in there for sure, and his pace is also a huge factor.
Injuries / Covid / loss of form / playing out of position all contributed to him struggling.
Perfect age profile for me. Him and Branthwaite are what we need more of. 
Close the Everton retirement home. 

Tarkowski with Branthwaite / Godrey plus (if it has to be) Coady works for me 

Keane has to move on, as does Holgate.