IGNORED

Ben Godfrey

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Ben’s not had much said about him over the last month, but one thing I’ve noticed in the goal and post match videos is how much he celebrates the goal and win, it seems like he also gets us, which is great as he’s one of the players who can get the crown going, either with a strong tackle or his runs out of defence. I know he’s still a bit ropey in parts of his game but he’ll learn and improve IMO

2 hours ago, Matt said:

Just saw a link Newcastle are after him? 

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/newcastle-howe-transfer-everton-defender-26508080

Then again, they're apparently after Neymar :lol:

Considering the number of names Newcastle are linked with, if I'd bother to check my emails more than twice a year I'd probably have an interview request from Eddie Howe too.

• 3 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, Zoo 2.0 said:

Looked future captain material when he signed for us but now looks like he's defending on a pogo stick. Utterly shite. 

He’s young and learning, tonight he was alongside Branthwaite who’s younger and less experienced, and they had Holgate ahead of them, and you really want to say he’s utterly shite. He needs an experienced CB alongside him to learn from, we just don’t have that player atm.

2 minutes ago, Wiggytop said:

He’s young and learning, tonight he was alongside Branthwaite who’s younger and less experienced, and they had Holgate ahead of them, and you really want to say he’s utterly shite. He needs an experienced CB alongside him to learn from, we just don’t have that player atm.

Yes.

13 hours ago, c1982 said:

Got all the attributes to be a top class player but is beginning to look a very average centre back.

If we can’t get Mina back and keep him playing every game then we’re going down.

This. I think everyone has said he has those moments in him so there’s no surprises really.

If he doesn’t iron out his mistakes we need to move him on but knowing us he will probably get a 5 year extension and be Keane 2.0

I have said this time and time again this season - a solid partnership needs developing in the CB back positioning and that is key to confidence and limiting mistakes as mistakes are bourn of indecision and unfamiliarity.

What number of combinations have we had this season of CB pairing and holding midfielder in front alone? not to mention throwing in to the mix RB and LB issues. 

It's a bit of a simplification to call players out week after week on every individual error and right them off when they are just not able to build game on game understandings with a consistent defensive set up. Chuck in to this two polar opposite manager philosophies. 

I firmly believe our defensive problem this season are as much down to the constant forced chopping and changing that we have HAD to do game after game. Player selection has not been down to form, its purely be about who is available to start any one game. Only last night Branthwithe and Godfrey as CB pairing with Holgate as the holding midfielder  in front - how often is this combination played or practiced on the training ground!!

I would love to know how many different CB and holding midfielder combinations we have be forced to used in our 29 league PL games -

10 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

What an utter shit show our entire defence is though. There's not one of them you can rely on for a multitude of reasons but you can make an argument for each and every single one of them not to be picked. That's the situation we find ourselves in.

How depressing.

What’s the fucking option if we don’t pick any of the shower of useless shits? Should I clean my boots for the Mancs on Saturday