IGNORED

Ben Godfrey

7 minutes ago, Zoo 2.0 said:

And as 5 year olds are taught, "play to the whistle". Godfrey is of course at fault for the poor backpass but to not put any blame on Pickford for being a balloon is naive.

It’s like blaming a defender for not marking a player who is offside. There aren’t usually whistles when balls go well out of play. Should players just tackle one another  out of bounds because there is no whistle? Really grasping at straws to blame Pickford there. He was trying to make up for a bad error from Godfrey. I suppose you can say he should have just let it go out but a keeper’s instinct is always going to be to try to avoid the corner. 

Putting a freak injury like that on Jordan, at all, is poor imo. I imagine Ben isn’t. 

15 hours ago, dunlopp9987 said:

This conspiracy that we think the officials have against us is a bit tin-hat to me. It also sort of feels like delusions of grandeur, like we're some European superpower that everyone wants to see fail. 

Yes, we got absolutely dicked over last year with some VAR and officiating decisions (see my post in the matchday thread), but we also benefitted the most from VAR and officiating decisions the year prior.

They don’t have it in for us. I don’t think most sensible supporters would think that really. The problem is that they are of a terrible standard, and to add to it they are weak and let certain clubs dictate what happens on the pitch. Not necessarily in a corrupt way, more in a way of not being strong enough. Yesterday letting Chelsea run down the clock, not giving a yellow card for a blatant shirt pull (gave the foul so much have seen it). It’s just a poor standard and very weak lack of control. 

1 hour ago, SpartyBlue said:

It’s like blaming a defender for not marking a player who is offside. There aren’t usually whistles when balls go well out of play. Should players just tackle one another  out of bounds because there is no whistle? Really grasping at straws to blame Pickford there. He was trying to make up for a bad error from Godfrey. I suppose you can say he should have just let it go out but a keeper’s instinct is always going to be to try to avoid the corner. 

I'll be honest you're chatting pure shit so we'll just agree to disagree.

2 hours ago, StevO said:

They don’t have it in for us. I don’t think most sensible supporters would think that really. The problem is that they are of a terrible standard, and to add to it they are weak and let certain clubs dictate what happens on the pitch. Not necessarily in a corrupt way, more in a way of not being strong enough. Yesterday letting Chelsea run down the clock, not giving a yellow card for a blatant shirt pull (gave the foul so much have seen it). It’s just a poor standard and very weak lack of control. 

What fans ask for is some consistency between Refs no matter what games they are officiating in. 

4 hours ago, SpartyBlue said:

The ball was well out of play and he was stretching to get to it. That situation was either on Godfrey for the poor play to begin with or the official for not blowing it dead. 

They showed a replay and the linesman looked like he was behind Pickford's body so wouldn't have had a clear line of sight. Also because of what Pickford did, with VAR, they are encouraged to let things run anyway.

1 minute ago, Bailey said:

They showed a replay and the linesman looked like he was behind Pickford's body so wouldn't have had a clear line of sight. Also because of what Pickford did, with VAR, they are encouraged to let things run anyway.

Just a fluke thing. Reasons it happened but perhaps it’s nobody’s fault as such.

7 hours ago, Billwelshblue said:

Gutted for him could have been avoided on a few occasions by the stupid linesmen who are pointless at this stage

Think it’s a bit tough blaming it on the linesman mate. Poor back pass and just unlucky after a full blooded challenge to recover his mistake. Unfortunate but it happens.

• 5 weeks later...
15 hours ago, Shukes said:

Well I’m hoping he doesn’t. Wasn’t that what we brought Ashley Cole in for? 

I know in the past Everton have been guilty of having a goalkeeper coach the forwards and vice Versa, but I thought those days were over.

That kind of thing makes sense though. Ashley Cole working with Gordon as an example. Surely a goalkeeper or a defender would be able to help a striker score more goals? Looking at it from a different point of view. 

14 hours ago, StevO said:

That kind of thing makes sense though. Ashley Cole working with Gordon as an example. Surely a goalkeeper or a defender would be able to help a striker score more goals? Looking at it from a different point of view. 

I agree with this.  It’s like chess, I like to flip the board to understand certain positions and how best to defend them based on my prior experience from the attacking perspective. 

I’m pretty sure all goalies have told strikers etc to go low corners. Very very rarely do you see them save low corner shots. You get players who absolutely smash them high up and they get saved.  Strikers likewise can tell defenders what they hate when they are trying to get past etc 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...