IGNORED

Ben Godfrey

Fucking long Covid get the fuck out here what utter garbage, he’s just another expensive long shot that hasn’t paid off, as a club we are past masters it paying big bucks for below average players, so don’t be so surprised that Godfrey has joined the ranks of well over a dozen in the last 7 years. 

19 minutes ago, Palfy said:

Fucking long Covid get the fuck out here what utter garbage, he’s just another expensive long shot that hasn’t paid off, as a club we are past masters it paying big bucks for below average players, so don’t be so surprised that Godfrey has joined the ranks of well over a dozen in the last 7 years. 

Guess who you were talking about here...

On 27/05/2021 at 17:47, Palfy said:

The best player to come here for a few seasons, well done to Brands he definitely got this one right. 

40 minutes ago, Palfy said:

I agree, he is just not a good defender. He wasn't at Norwich and he isn't now. He has also lost his pace and any confidence he had. I also don't think he is the smartest of footballers. Not Holgate levels but he isn't miles off.

22 minutes ago, MikeO said:

Guess who you were talking about here...

He flattered to deceive in his first few months and I was suckered in, I need to give players and myself more time before making a judgement, I need to learn that being to gung-ho doesn’t give you time to make a proper assessment. That time as now arrived and he is not going to make it with us or in the PL, so another poor buy and another 20 million down the drain that we will be lucky to recoup a fraction of when it’s time for him to go. 

21 hours ago, London Blue said:

Godfrey is a good center back, however he has played all over the back 4 in the last 2 seasons, and until Tarks came has not had a dominant centre back to learn from. He needs a run of games in his best position, as centre back, to develop.

Under Dyche he can kick on if given the chance.

He has played all over the back 4 for a reason and it isn't because he is a good centre back.

6 hours ago, Bailey said:

He has played all over the back 4 for a reason and it isn't because he is a good centre back.

The reason we are seeing him playing across the back four is because we have limited options and frankly his horror shows at full back are prob enough to drain most players of their confidence. We are notorious for playing guys out of position due to lack of squad depth. Will be have bad games at CB…possibly. Is he better than Holgate and Keane - I think so and I’m willing to find out. 

I’d love to see him get a run at centre back in a settled back four, in a team that has some sort of defensive structure. Which hopefully we will have next season. If he doesn’t perform in those circumstances then move him on.

With his pace having gone I'm not sure there's a spot for him at CB now.

Before, he could have got in to partner a slow CB so he could have the quality they lacked and they could cover for his lack of positional awareness by hand holding him through games.

I think he had a lot of promise when we signed him but I just don't know if he'll have a future here. We'll see I suppose.

17 hours ago, Goodison Glory said:

The reason we are seeing him playing across the back four is because we have limited options and frankly his horror shows at full back are prob enough to drain most players of their confidence. We are notorious for playing guys out of position due to lack of squad depth. Will be have bad games at CB…possibly. Is he better than Holgate and Keane - I think so and I’m willing to find out. 

I disagree. If he was as good as some people on here believe, he would have started at centre back. He played full back because he wasn't good enough at centre back and he was considered the next best option, probably because he is more mobile than the rest.

He has never been a good defender. He was dodgy at Norwich and whilst he has the physical attributes to be a good defender, his instinct to defend is not there. He makes shocking defensive decisions. You can put him in the best system you like but when it comes down to him making a decision, he will make too many bad ones. 

The fact that he also now seems to have lost his pace makes him an even worse option. 

Keep seeing he has lost his pace, but in his last few appearances, that seemed his best attribute. He was beating forwards to the ball in sprints.

Feels like it’s more of a buzz word than anything else.

Still young and a lot to learn. But could be a good squad player, with potential to grow.

1 hour ago, Shukes said:

Keep seeing he has lost his pace, but in his last few appearances, that seemed his best attribute. He was beating forwards to the ball in sprints.

Feels like it’s more of a buzz word than anything else.

Still young and a lot to learn. But could be a good squad player, with potential to grow.

He definitely isn't as quick or as agile as he was. 

4 hours ago, Bailey said:

I disagree. If he was as good as some people on here believe, he would have started at centre back. He played full back because he wasn't good enough at centre back and he was considered the next best option, probably because he is more mobile than the rest.

He has never been a good defender. He was dodgy at Norwich and whilst he has the physical attributes to be a good defender, his instinct to defend is not there. He makes shocking defensive decisions. You can put him in the best system you like but when it comes down to him making a decision, he will make too many bad ones. 

The fact that he also now seems to have lost his pace makes him an even worse option. 

It's incorrect to say "He didn't play fullback because he wasn't good enough at CB". He played full back because the other FBs were injured and none of the other CB bar holgate can even remotely play FB.

I won't disagree that he has made a few bad decisions in games..but that can be said for ALL of our defenders. You even said yourself that our best defender nearly threw the Leicester game away. 

Keane is not the answer, Branthwaite still has a lot to prove (hope he comes good). Perhaps Godfrey isn't the answer either...but given the other options and finances id like to see Godfrey compete with Branthwaite for the other CB role.

22 hours ago, Goodison Glory said:

It's incorrect to say "He didn't play fullback because he wasn't good enough at CB". He played full back because the other FBs were injured and none of the other CB bar holgate can even remotely play FB.

I won't disagree that he has made a few bad decisions in games..but that can be said for ALL of our defenders. You even said yourself that our best defender nearly threw the Leicester game away. 

Keane is not the answer, Branthwaite still has a lot to prove (hope he comes good). Perhaps Godfrey isn't the answer either...but given the other options and finances id like to see Godfrey compete with Branthwaite for the other CB role.

I don't think its incorrect. If he was good enough at centre back, he would have played centre back. He wouldnt have stayed on the bench when we had fit full backs. 

I agree that plenty of our defenders have made mistakes but his decision making, and particularly his positions, have been bad ever since we signed him. Saying well, the others made lots of mistakes too, doesn't make him a better player, it just explains why we are here. 

Personally, I would still say Keane is more of the answer than Godfrey. Problem is, I really don't like the question!

8 hours ago, Bailey said:

I don't think its incorrect. If he was good enough at centre back, he would have played centre back. He wouldnt have stayed on the bench when we had fit full backs. 

I agree that plenty of our defenders have made mistakes but his decision making, and particularly his positions, have been bad ever since we signed him. Saying well, the others made lots of mistakes too, doesn't make him a better player, it just explains why we are here. 

Personally, I would still say Keane is more of the answer than Godfrey. Problem is, I really don't like the question!

Have you watched us? Players playing in their preferred position is either by accident or occasional necessity!

• 5 months later...

We should sell Ben Godfrey. He is only 183cm tall. He has not good passing, too. Only positive thing about his games is that he could cover right-back, center-back and left-back positions. At this moment we have good options on those positions. Also his wage is around 75,000 pounds per week.

Everton Players Salaries 2023/24

We should bring on his place new young center-back (one for the future).

He doesn't seem to be in Dyche's plans(only 2 appearances so far this season), so I wouldn't be too upset if we sold him as long as we get someone else in for cover. He can cover those other positions, but he hasn't been very impressive there either IMO. 

I'm not sure a team will want him on those wages though. It may be a case of we keep him until his contract has ended. I had high hopes for him when he first joined, however his career has really stalled. He does have time on his side at least. 

Covid has really hit him.  Based on when he got it he wouldn’t have been vaccinated. But I’m not sure if footy players would have got ahead of the queue. 

I haven’t had any further boosters but I believe I caught Covid again 8 weeks ago. The actual unwell feeling wasn’t so bad, just tiredness but I’ve been hit with the chest this time.  Both me and the wife, been on steroids and antibiotics.  Going for a walk tires me out. 

the cough has been persistent and they sent us both for chest x rays.  

pretty sure Godfrey has to have regular checks as he has really been through it. 

18 hours ago, Hafnia said:

Covid has really hit him.

I think your right, he’s lost that burst of pace he had, which was his key asset, his passing was never very good imo, always looking sideways or backwards. It would be great if he could improve that side of his game.

Like you I had Covid again a few weeks back, still have a slight cough and my body temperature control is all over the place, that’s 2 positives and 4 jabs, I’d hate to think how I would be without the jabs.

53 minutes ago, Wiggytop said:

I think your right, he’s lost that burst of pace he had, which was his key asset, his passing was never very good imo, always looking sideways or backwards. It would be great if he could improve that side of his game.

Like you I had Covid again a few weeks back, still have a slight cough and my body temperature control is all over the place, that’s 2 positives and 4 jabs, I’d hate to think how I would be without the jabs.

A lot of people have suffered by having the jabs they reckon most people that died were vaccinated 

On 07/11/2023 at 12:34, johnstockton said:

We should sell Ben Godfrey. He is only 183cm tall. He has not good passing, too. Only positive thing about his games is that he could cover right-back, center-back and left-back positions. At this moment we have good options on those positions. Also his wage is around 75,000 pounds per week.

https://www.90min.com/posts/tottenham-newcastle-considering-moves-ben-godfrey

2 hours ago, Matt said:

No, not whatever. That kind of bullshit is exactly why we had and have such issues and continues to lead to preventable deaths. If you want to make wild statements like that, please provide some evidence. 

Who rattled your cage 

On 07/11/2023 at 12:34, johnstockton said:

I agree we should sell him but his wages will be huge stumbling block to him leaving without him going on a free. Just another player of mediocre quality on top wages, Brands as a Dof signed a lot of players for big fees and wages that crippled the club financially and Godfrey falls into that category.