IGNORED

Ben Godfrey

9 minutes ago, Palfy said:

I agree we should sell him but his wages will be huge stumbling block to him leaving without him going on a free. Just another player of mediocre quality on top wages, Brands as a Dof signed a lot of players for big fees and wages that crippled the club financially and Godfrey falls into that category. 

The damage was done long before Brands at least Brands tried to sign quality. 

3 hours ago, patto said:

The damage was done long before Brands at least Brands tried to sign quality. 

He made 22 full signings in 3 years not including loans paying millions over the odds for some and giving most of them contracts that were off the scale, if you ever want to learn how not to do business as a football club then you need to look no further than the 3 years Brands was our DoF, the money he burned in them 3 years in fees and wages on mediocre players was scandalous. And when he left the club were in a far worse position than when arrived after all the money he spent. 

9 hours ago, Palfy said:

He made 22 full signings in 3 years not including loans paying millions over the odds for some and giving most of them contracts that were off the scale, if you ever want to learn how not to do business as a football club then you need to look no further than the 3 years Brands was our DoF, the money he burned in them 3 years in fees and wages on mediocre players was scandalous. And when he left the club were in a far worse position than when arrived after all the money he spent. 

Did you read what he said? 

2 minutes ago, Palfy said:

No I didn’t read what he said, but let me guess it wasn’t his fault 😂

Err, yeah. Which has been known for years now anyway. So let's not point the finger at the guy who was trying to do his job but got undermined by the owner and manager and maybe point the fingers at the actual people responsible?

Just now, Matt said:

Err, yeah. Which has been known for years now anyway. So let's not point the finger at the guy who was trying to do his job but got undermined by the owner and manager and maybe point the fingers at the actual people responsible?

Thought I might be right, if he’s saying for 3 years that he was only doing what he was told and allowing his own reputation to be brought into question without having the bollocks to publicly defend himself when he was being slaughtered in the press, then he’s bigger wanker than I already had him down as. I remember his first statement he made when he got here, how he was going to cut the wage bill sell players that were surplus to requirements and rebuild the squad within a budget that was affordable, he was really successful at achieving his goals😂 he was a complete disaster from a financial point of view. 

32 minutes ago, Palfy said:

Thought I might be right, if he’s saying for 3 years that he was only doing what he was told and allowing his own reputation to be brought into question without having the bollocks to publicly defend himself when he was being slaughtered in the press, then he’s bigger wanker than I already had him down as. I remember his first statement he made when he got here, how he was going to cut the wage bill sell players that were surplus to requirements and rebuild the squad within a budget that was affordable, he was really successful at achieving his goals😂 he was a complete disaster from a financial point of view. 

Not quite. He was doing his job and was frequently overruled. 

5 minutes ago, Matt said:

Not quite. He was doing his job and was frequently overruled. 

Then he should have made it known on a weekly basis whilst at the club, or handed his resignation in a long time before he was forced out because of his poor tenure as DoF. I have no sympathy for him whatsoever he’s one of the biggest reasons why we find ourselves in the financial mess we are in, look at the 22 players he signed and what he paid for some of them and what he gave them in contracts and how much some of the agents made in the deals, trust me it doesn’t make for good reading.  

24 minutes ago, Palfy said:

Then he should have made it known on a weekly basis whilst at the club, or handed his resignation in a long time before he was forced out because of his poor tenure as DoF. I have no sympathy for him whatsoever he’s one of the biggest reasons why we find ourselves in the financial mess we are in, look at the 22 players he signed and what he paid for some of them and what he gave them in contracts and how much some of the agents made in the deals, trust me it doesn’t make for good reading.  

Yeah, bad mouth his employers in public. That wouldn't tarnish his reputation at all....

I can't remember where or when I wrote it, but mad to think at one point I had him down as a future captain once Coleman hung up his boots. I really thought Godfrey would have been a massive player here but he seems to have completely slipped into the abyss. 

I wouldn't be at all surprised to see him moved on in the summer, which despite being disappointed wouldn't argue against.

10 hours ago, StevO said:

If we do get rid we need to do a deal for a replacement. That still scares me. The possibility of only having Keane and no one else for back up is terrifying. 

Yet Keane is in front of him in the pecking order so whilst Keane is still here it would make no difference to his position in the team, so let’s try and a least get some money back on a player who is possibly not going to play. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...