IGNORED

Dele

RuffRob

8 hours ago, RPG said:

To paraphrase the footballing equivalent:

Fashion is subjective. Class is permanent.

No class (or sense of pride) whatsoever in Alli's appearance.

It’s very obvious to me that Alli takes a lot of pride in his appearance. The lack of class in this argument doesn’t seem to fall at Dele’s feet. 

2 hours ago, RPG said:

That's exactly where my comments were gently heading. I see it as a shared responsibility between club and player. The club should make it clear that whenever players arrive at Goodison Park (for whatever reason) they are to be dressed in accordance with a code - which at the moment we don't appear to have. By allowing Alli (and others) to go onto Goodison Park turf to be introduced to the fans dressed as they were, the club tacitly gave approval for the images presented - and subsequently commented on by MSM. And that makes the club every bit as guilty as Alli for the MSM spotlight highlighting the issue. Dress appropriately and there would be no issue.

When players who are in the match day squad arrive for the match that have to be in club clothing, usually a tracksuit, and they all wear the same one. 
The players who are not in the match day squad don’t have to wear club clothing. 
This is very obviously in place and has been for years, look at the clubs social media pages later today and you’ll see lots of photos of the squad turning up in club clothing. 
I can’t recall in my lifetime a player being introduced to the fans being in club clothing. 

1 hour ago, Matt said:

Out of curiosity, what if he was paid millions by fashion companies to promote their products and that money went to charity? Is that ok?

Slight disconnect here, but he has had quite a few fashion lines over the last few years, and also supported a lot of charities. The last public one was supporting a charity feeding breakfast to kids during the lockdowns. 
Bad role model though, sets a bad example to the kids doesn’t he? 

Just now, RPG said:

Well, there we will, once again, have to differ. I fail to see how Alli's appearance can, in any way, shape or form, be labelled 'classy!'

I guess it's a question of personal standards and I am very happy with mine thank you. 'Class' means different things to different people I suppose. I would like to think I am open minded but I just cannot ever associate the word 'class' with the appearance projected by Alli when he was introduced to his fans looking like a sack of shit tied up with string.  Maybe you can. Like I said, different people have different 'class' standards.

Or maybe it’s just that you and Dele are from a different class. Can’t associate the word class being projected onto someone from a lower class?

46 minutes ago, RPG said:

No, very wrong. I can't pretend my childhood was as hard from a personal point of view as some people tell me Alli's to have been but I am proud of my own working class background. No silver spoon or millionaire daddy for this people's club supporter!

Edited to add: Alli and I actually may be from a different class. A very different class!. I remain proud of my working class roots. But, I just did some google research on Alli's childhood and while all his apologists are citing his parents early divorce, nobody seems to mention the fact that his father owned his own multi million $ business in Nigeria (allegedly funded from scams carried out in UK) and paid for Alli to go to a very good International School. The school fees (and we are talking almost 20 years ago) were £20k pa.

Another fact that the apologists fail to present is that far from being a poor boy, Dele is actually a genuine Prince of the Yaruba tribe. Royalty, therefore.

Have a read yourself if you wish.

https://lifebogger.com/dele-alli-childhood-story-plus-untold-biography-facts/

Yeah I don’t think you got what I meant, but that’s fine. You have a nice day in your hard earned ivory tower, suit and tie on, looking classy and respectful. Hopefully your staff all have their suits and ties on and do a good job of being classy and respectful. 
Im going to put my jeans and hoody on and go the match with the rest of the disrespect lads.

58 minutes ago, RPG said:

Well, there we will, once again, have to differ. I fail to see how Alli's appearance can, in any way, shape or form, be labelled 'classy!'

I guess it's a question of personal standards and I am very happy with mine thank you. 'Class' means different things to different people I suppose. I would like to think I am open minded but I just cannot ever associate the word 'class' with the appearance projected by Alli when he was introduced to his fans looking like a sack of shit tied up with string.  Maybe you can. Like I said, different people have different 'class' standards.

That's because class, like fashion, is purely subjective. You don't seem as open minded as you think you are, based on your current and past comments to be honest. But that's also subjective too and different cultures and different means lead to different definitions of the word. For me anyone who judges anyone else on appearance is devoid of any class. I find it archaic, snobbish and pathetic, something that should've been left behind in the last century. But that's my take on it.

57 minutes ago, RPG said:

Not really. West Ham and Man U would certainly beg to differ with that (general) statement at the moment.

But I am slowly leaning toward the opinion that it is more the club's fault than Alli's. If the club has no dress code for PR duties (which this most definitely was) then Alli has been dumb and the club has been negligent imho.

That’s were I stand as I said in my original post the club should be giving them an acceptable dress code that represents the club only when on official club duty, and I believe he was at the ground on official club duty that day. 
No it’s not going to make him a better player, but it gives an image of a united discipline which is a strong message to portray from a club and team point a view,and what’s so wrong with that, his dress on that day when he was being presented to the fans the media the country did draw negatives from some fans and some of the media which does vindicate that it was looked upon by some as unacceptable. 
Everton as a football club are a business and I believe should act accordingly, some of you own your own businesses or hold managerial roles in the company’s you work for, surely you must see how important it is for the image of the company to be shown in a positive way. Come on Everton pull your socks up on certain simple things and who knows it may reflect favourable on the playing side. 
I could go on for ever and tell you the things I’ve learnt and implemented over the years in my business to enhance my company's image which if you place the success of business on it’s repeat contracts and profits I haven’t done to bad a job. 

32 minutes ago, Matt said:

That's because class, like fashion, is purely subjective. You don't seem as open minded as you think you are, based on your current and past comments to be honest. But that's also subjective too and different cultures and different means lead to different definitions of the word. For me anyone who judges anyone else on appearance is devoid of any class. I find it archaic, snobbish and pathetic, something that should've been left behind in the last century. But that's my take on it.

You’re much more elegant with your words than me, Matt. That is very well put. 

8 minutes ago, Palfy said:

That’s were I stand as I said in my original post the club should be giving them an acceptable dress code that represents the club only when on official club duty, and I believe he was at the ground on official club duty that day. 
No it’s not going to make him a better player, but it gives an image of a united discipline which is a strong message to portray from a club and team point a view,and what’s so wrong with that, his dress on that day when he was being presented to the fans the media the country did draw negatives from some fans and some of the media which does vindicate that it was looked upon by some as unacceptable. 
Everton as a football club are a business and I believe should act accordingly, some of you own your own businesses or hold managerial roles in the company’s you work for, surely you must see how important it is for the image of the company to be shown in a positive way. Come on Everton pull your socks up on certain simple things and who knows it may reflect favourable on the playing side. 
I could go on for ever and tell you the things I’ve learnt and implemented over the years in my business to enhance my company's image which if you place the success of business on it’s repeat contracts and profits I haven’t done to bad a job. 

Would players being forced to wear a suit when not in a match day squad make them play any different than having the freedom to wear their own clothes?

When on duty they wear club clothing. There can’t be any doubt about that as it’s broadcast before and after every game. Clearly the club don’t see a player walking on to the pitch in the same way. They aren’t in the squad, they are watching from the stands other than 20 seconds on the pitch. Strangely, didn’t hear anyone sat near me complaining about what he was wearing. Also didn’t hear anyone say how Donny looks so professional in his overcoat.  

The time the club is most viewed is those 90 minutes, and thanks to Jimmy Martin they always look presentable. 😂

From a business point of view, I’ve always let staff wear what they like on a Friday. Performance never drops. And I’ve had many comments from staff in other teams about how the staff in my team always seem to enjoy themselves. 

1 hour ago, RPG said:

Think Bobby Moore (on and off the pitch) and the first word out of people's mouths is invariably 'Class' - possibly prefixed by 'World.' For me, that means class is not at all subjective. It is that 'Je ne sais quoi' that some people always have and some people never will. And it can have very little to do with money or upbringing. Alan Ball, Class. But when I think of Maradona, I think 'brilliant footballer' but I certainly do not think 'class.'

Two white English blokes full of class, but the other fella from South American slums isn’t class. Sorry, but that’s how this post reads, and very much how this whole topic reads. Not just on TT but in the media too. 

44 minutes ago, StevO said:

Would players being forced to wear a suit when not in a match day squad make them play any different than having the freedom to wear their own clothes?

45 minutes ago, StevO said:

From a business point of view, I’ve always let staff wear what they like on a Friday. Performance never drops. And I’ve had many comments from staff in other teams about how the staff in my team always seem to enjoy themselves. 

I have said that wearing club attire wouldn’t make him a better player, but both coming out in club colours of some description would have shown a better image for the club in my eyes, I maybe out of touch with fashion and designer clothes, but I don’t see that as the issue this isn’t an age thing it’s an image thing in my view. 
My missus many years ago use to be a buyer for Texas Home Care they were a national DIY chain that went bust, just to prove how good she was at her job 😀, they use to have what they called a muffty day from memory and used it to raise money for charity, where you were allowed to go to work very casual for a small donation to the charity box, but if you had meetings with clients in or out the office you were expected to dress accordingly. 
I think the club will learn from this because any negative comments are bad comments for a business that cares about it’s image, and the act of going to dressing room 15 minutes before you are paraded to all and sundry and putting a club tracky on isn’t to much to ask surely, and if it is then what a shit position this club as got it’s self into on and off the the pitch. 

14 minutes ago, Palfy said:

I have said that wearing club attire wouldn’t make him a better player, but both coming out in club colours of some description would have shown a better image for the club in my eyes, I maybe out of touch with fashion and designer clothes, but I don’t see that as the issue this isn’t an age thing it’s an image thing in my view. 
My missus many years ago use to be a buyer for Texas Home Care they were a national DIY chain that went bust, just to prove how good she was at her job 😀, they use to have what they called a muffty day from memory and used it to raise money for charity, where you were allowed to go to work very casual for a small donation to the charity box, but if you had meetings with clients in or out the office you were expected to dress accordingly. 
I think the club will learn from this because any negative comments are bad comments for a business that cares about it’s image, and the act of going to dressing room 15 minutes before you are paraded to all and sundry and putting a club tracky on isn’t to much to ask surely, and if it is then what a shit position this club as got it’s self into on and off the the pitch. 

I bet you have your joiners wearing suits, just to give yourself a laugh. Can tell what you’re like after all these years. 😂 

Just now, RPG said:

You are determined to make race an issue where it doesn't exist aren't you! Why are you so spring loaded to the Woke position?

If it helps assuage your jaundiced attitude, Pele, Class. Better now?

Not race. Doesn’t seem like a race issue, seems like a class issue like I’ve already said. The well spoken good boys are classy, the others, not so much. Conformity would help I guess. Pele loves to put a suit on. 

Rooney? Hibbert? Harry Redknapp? Neil Warnock?