IGNORED

Southampton (Home) Monday 1 March

markjazzbassist

we get a nice little break here before we have 3 matches in 7 days.  we will need to continue the momentum from the massive derby win.  it should give allan enough time to come back and dcl to continue to heal up and be at his best.  

Pickford

Coleman Holgate Keane Godfrey

James   Davies  Allan   Digne

Richarlison DCL

1 hour ago, markjazzbassist said:

we get a nice little break here before we have 3 matches in 7 days.  we will need to continue the momentum from the massive derby win.  it should give allan enough time to come back and dcl to continue to heal up and be at his best.  

Pickford

Coleman Holgate Keane Godfrey

James   Davies  Allan   Digne

Richarlison DCL

If you look at the remaining league fixtures we have (bar City on the final day) there's not one team I'm afraid of facing. Especially these next few weeks, if we stop playing down to the level of opposition, we could rack up some points.

Soton, West Brom, Chelsea, Burnley, Palace and Brighton are our next 6 in the league. We better be putting up some W's with those types of opponents

19 minutes ago, dunlopp9987 said:

If you look at the remaining league fixtures we have (bar City on the final day) there's not one team I'm afraid of facing. Especially these next few weeks, if we stop playing down to the level of opposition, we could rack up some points.

Soton, West Brom, Chelsea, Burnley, Palace and Brighton are our next 6 in the league. We better be putting up some W's with those types of opponents

Exactly right. Been on about this for months that if we stayed in touch with the top 4 we could really push on. Add in the returns of some key players, its really up to us from now.

2 minutes ago, dunlopp9987 said:

Just had a look at the table, one thing we need to start doing is winning games by multiple goals. We have the worst goal difference in the top half, and considering how close the table is, goal difference might be what takes us or doesn't take us to Europe

I had a look too, City are only 16 points ahead of us, if we win our next six and they lose them all the title is nailed on for us IMO... 👀

13 hours ago, dunlopp9987 said:

Just had a look at the table, one thing we need to start doing is winning games by multiple goals. We have the worst goal difference in the top half, and considering how close the table is, goal difference might be what takes us or doesn't take us to Europe

I was think the same thing, I feel we are going to need that 'extra' point at the end of the season. 

The thing is at 2/3 in to the season and we are still there or there about's for getting a European place (inc CL). So with just over a dozen or so premier league game to play - it really is game on now.  Yesterday was a big results - all season we have been taking plenty of points off all the teams that are fighting for the European places - the team should be full of confidence that this is where they belong - mixing it with the top 6. 

We are going in to the home straight now and should now have fire in our belly to treat every one of these remaining games as cup finals. This result is a platform. 

Ancelotti know this is the business end of the season better than everybody - I think resting the likes of Keane and others over January will be in preparation for the next last couple of months. I am sure he will have been mindful of making sure we don't run out of steam. 

No tough mid-week game, pretty much whole squad available, most players in good form now. Team coming off the back of a historical win. 

So conditions now perfect for playing Southampton a team not fighting releagation or trying to get in to Europe.

There will be no excuses for anything other than a top performance. 

9 hours ago, RuffRob said:

No tough mid-week game, pretty much whole squad available, most players in good form now. Team coming off the back of a historical win. 

So conditions now perfect for playing Southampton a team not fighting releagation or trying to get in to Europe.

There will be no excuses for anything other than a top performance. 

They are still a decent side and have added to their goal threat with Minamino uptop with Ings. An early goal though and I think we will be flying. Confidence must be high.

8 minutes ago, London Blue said:

This is another must win for us, they all are now if we want Europe next season. 

We must make Goodison a fortress again. Couple of early goals and we can relax, a bit.

A very winnable game, which makes me nervous, but with Carlo and this squad I have faith.

I'm cautiously optimistic. I said it in the derby matchday thread, but I really do see a world where the win yesterday propels us to some excellent form and potentially a top 4 finish. 

The Evertonian in me also sees a world where we lose 2-0 in this match and all that confidence from the derby is shot. 

I hope (and I do genuinely think) I'm wrong on the last point, but it's in our nature to fear the worst. One reason I'm also optimistic is having 8 days off before this one with Soton. That's huge, as it allows us to hopefully get Allan and DCL back fully fit, ready to start.

On 20/02/2021 at 21:36, dunlopp9987 said:

If we win games the GD will take care of itself, and don't forget the only time we qualified for CL we had a negative GD.

Southampton on the whole are still playing decent enough football but they are on a wretched run and their confidence looks like it is sapping. I think MJB is right earlier on in the thread in that we just let them run themselves into the ground and pick them off. We tried to outplay them at their place and they beat us all over the park, and even with their poor form, they could do it again if we give them the chance.

There are going to be no excuses to come away second best to Southampton

- Southampton will have had less rest since there last game on Tuesday - so tiredness will not be a factor in our performance

- there should be no complacency - we have had our fingers burnt to many times with poor displays at home

- team form - we are of the back of our best result of the season (and generally a good season), Southampton are in very poor form 

- Injuries - we  have every position adequately covered with first choice players and also have one of the strongest benches we have had all season

- All our players are on pretty good form as individuals, - Keane, Davies, DCL are currently in the best form ever 

This HAS to be the game to shake this poor home form monkey off our back.

My belief is that Ancelotti has also been relatively careful managing the fatigue of the players so far this season - I think our players in general will have a fair bit left in the tank for the run in to the end of the season. We have been rotating players pretty well (some forced by injury) and we haven't spent the season with the players running around like headless chickens - pressing - pressing - pressing. I think Southampton are already paying the price for this since Xmas. Ancelotti is shrewd enough to know we are now in the business end of the season. 

My team for the weekend:

Pickford

Coleman    Keane    Godfrey     Digne

Doucoure     Allan         Davies 

James

DCL              Richarlison 

1 hour ago, Palfy said:

I’d feel a bit more confident if we were playing them away, our home record is pretty poor compared to our away record. 

we have got to start to improving our home record sometime! I think this has to be, and will be, the next game that we really roll our sleeves up. If we don't, then we are simply not going to reap the benefits of some of our other fantastic results we have had this season.

After the Derby win, this has been the first time that I have truly though that CL might actually be a realistic target. The squad is currently in good shape and the extra bit of good news this week means that the vibe around the place is as good as it has ever been in the Premiership - and we have Ancelotti at the helm. 

Given what we fans know about the 'state' of the club at this moment, I think the bookies are giving us decent odds at the moment - are West Ham really twice as likely as we are to finish top 4?

image.png.0cd395185f818dc18e241f116d832d4e.png

COYB