IGNORED

Denzel Dumfries

On 22/07/2021 at 22:10, Btay said:

Iwobi has everything to be a quality player he just hasn’t clicked. Brand’s negotiating skills have been highlighted in plenty of transfers before iwobi.

Lets just hope we get this one over the line.

Still could be - maybe he’ll start to look like the player we had hoped with a bit of pace alongside him in the team. 

2 minutes ago, Btay said:

He is probably the biggest winner from Carlo moving on. Needs to acknowledge he’s gotten a second chance, get his head down and make it happen.

Agreed, but his reported attitude on social media has me concerned. 

45 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

He was supposed to bring pace to our side. He’s surprisingly slow. 

I don't think he is slow when he is actually sprinting, he is just very slow to react to things. He just looks and plays a bit like a dopey footballer and the more confused he is the worse he plays.

2 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

He was supposed to bring pace to our side. He’s surprisingly slow. 

I think he was supposed to bring pace by quick passing/link up play rather than foot races. He isn't a winger in my eyes. But he can only do quick link up play if a) someone bothers to show for a pass and b) he looks up to make one. 

Also his running style with his arms has me laughing every time. Its like watching one of those inflatable tube people if they could run. 

11 minutes ago, Matt said:

I think he was supposed to bring pace by quick passing/link up play rather than foot races. He isn't a winger in my eyes. But he can only do quick link up play if a) someone bothers to show for a pass and b) he looks up to make one. 

Also his running style with his arms has me laughing every time. Its like watching one of those inflatable tube people if they could run. 

He runs like he's just picked up something hot with his bare hands and he's desperately looking for somewhere to put it down.

11 minutes ago, Matt said:

Yeah he’s not a winger. He plays slower than he is because that’s not where he should be playing. If you’re not the type to take on your man 1 v 1 or whip in crosses you’re gonna look out of ideas/slow imo.

Just now, SpartyBlue said:

Yeah he’s not a winger. He plays slower than he is because that’s not where he should be playing. If you’re not the type to take on your man 1 v 1 or whip in crosses you’re gonna look out of ideas/slow imo.

Other than being shit I couldn't tell you what he is. I know where else he shouldn't be playing; Everton Football Club. We never should have signed him because he's terrible.

3 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

Other than being shit I couldn't tell you what he is. I know where else he shouldn't be playing; Everton Football Club. We never should have signed him because he's terrible.

I thought he’s done fairly well when played inside in the “gylf role”. He’s not a bad passer and he’s strong enough, he’s just not a winger. 

3 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

I totally disagree with that. I don't think I've ever seen him leave anyone for dead, which was the one thing I thought he could do and was what I was clinging onto when we signed him.

Oh definitely not. He was never leaving anyone for dead. He doesn't have the type of pace Walcott had but he also isnt slow. 

I would say he is average for the league. Probably in more ways than one!

4 hours ago, dunlopp9987 said:

So how bout that Dumfries guy??

Well the bookies currently have him at 4/5 becoming an Everton player and 8/1 Milan. So we are very much odds on favraties to sign him at the moment. Which is where we want to be. I very much have my finger crossed on this one. 

I think a steady and supporting Townsend, to such a dynamic right back could be nice balance on the right next season. 

1 hour ago, RuffRob said:

Well the bookies currently have him at 4/5 becoming an Everton player and 8/1 Milan. So we are very much odds on favraties to sign him at the moment. Which is where we want to be. I very much have my finger crossed on this one. 

I think a steady and supporting Townsend, to such a dynamic right back could be nice balance on the right next season. 

You don’t think Townsend is just a squad player then? What a frightening thought. 

1 hour ago, Romey 1878 said:

You don’t think Townsend is just a squad player then? What a frightening thought. 

Would depend on who comes in, maybe if we did get Dumfries a very attacking minded right back, then another 'expensive' right winger may not be the next priority position. 

I think Townsend is a better player than most actually give him credit for. He's definately not a long term solution. But if money is tight this summer, and we end up spending a good chuck of it on Dumfries, then I would not be at all surprised if we don't purchase another right winger this summer. 

Last year there where many games when Coleman was our right winger and games where we had nothing wide on the right at all either winger or attack minded right back. So a Dumfries/Townsend combination would be more frightening than what we put out for the best part of last season.

At this very moment Townsend is the right winger we have. He can defend, so with a right back who would bomb on, then having a right winger who can cover and tackle might not be the worst idea in the world - at least while Dumfries finds his premiership feet. I think it could work. 

But need to buy Dumfries first. 

8 hours ago, SpartyBlue said:

I thought he’s done fairly well when played inside in the “gylf role”. He’s not a bad passer and he’s strong enough, he’s just not a winger. 

He isn’t calm enough to play in the number 10 position. He isn’t calm enough at all. One thing Gylfi does have is that he doesn’t get flustered on the pitch. He decides what he’s going to do with the ball then tried to make it happen, not always successfully. 
Iwobi gets the ball and looks like a rabbit in the headlights. He looks frantic whenever he has the ball. No composure, no making a decision and then executing it. It’s like he just makes it up on the fly. 
I saw Tyson Fury talking about AJ not looking relaxed in the ring, using up lots of nervous energy. It just made me think of Iwobi. He’s just the same. 

7 hours ago, RuffRob said:

Would depend on who comes in, maybe if we did get Dumfries a very attacking minded right back, then another 'expensive' right winger may not be the next priority position. 

I think Townsend is a better player than most actually give him credit for. He's definately not a long term solution. But if money is tight this summer, and we end up spending a good chuck of it on Dumfries, then I would not be at all surprised if we don't purchase another right winger this summer. 

Last year there where many games when Coleman was our right winger and games where we had nothing wide on the right at all either winger or attack minded right back. So a Dumfries/Townsend combination would be more frightening than what we put out for the best part of last season.

At this very moment Townsend is the right winger we have. He can defend, so with a right back who would bomb on, then having a right winger who can cover and tackle might not be the worst idea in the world - at least while Dumfries finds his premiership feet. I think it could work. 

But need to buy Dumfries first. 

I'm absolutely convinced he's been bought as our starting RW and nothing else. We're not bringing anyone else in to play there because he's the one.

I'm absolutely convinced he's been bought as our starting RW and nothing else. We're not bringing anyone else in to play there because he's the one.

Didn't he say in his interview that he was  a squad player but wanted to convince Rafa that he should be starting?

10 minutes ago, London Blue said:

Didn't he say in his interview that he was  a squad player but wanted to convince Rafa that he should be starting?

It sounded to me like he was saying that fans saw him as a squad player and it'd be us that he'd be proving wrong, but it could be how you've interpreted it too.

It wouldn't surprise me this season, especially if we do get an attack minded RB.

I am a pragmatist, I know given FFP we HAVE to kerb our spending for 12-18months. So unless we get two or three big sales and revenue in I don't see us buying big. I think a lot will be down to if and how much we bring in from the sale of Kean and any others.

given this weeks revelation,  in all likelihood we have unexpectedly lost another first 15 player. Resources may have to be stretched for reinforcements in this area. 

4 minutes ago, RuffRob said:

It wouldn't surprise me this season, especially if we do get an attack minded RB.

I am a pragmatist, I know given FFP we HAVE to kerb our spending for 12-18months. So unless we get two or three big sales and revenue in I don't see us buying big. I think a lot will be down to if and how much we bring in from the sale of Kean and any others.

given this weeks revelation,  in all likelihood we have unexpectedly lost another first 15 player. Resources may have to be stretched for reinforcements in this area. 

I want my optimism back. Even though I wasn't particularly happy with some of the football Carlo had us playing I was fairly optimistic about the coming season... it's been one shit show since the last game of the season. I want something positive to cling to but there's nothing for me to do that with.

I'm praying that we manage to shift someone out for decent money so we can bring at least one good signing in that I can feel positive about.

I want my optimism back. Even though I wasn't particularly happy with some of the football Carlo had us playing I was fairly optimistic about the coming season... it's been one shit show since the last game of the season. I want something positive to cling to but there's nothing for me to do that with.

I'm praying that we manage to shift someone out for decent money so we can bring at least one good signing in that I can feel positive about.

I have to admit, things seem to have gone to shit a bit in the past 6months - from bad to worse. Everything looked great at the turn of the year, high in the table, planning granted for the stadium. Seems a long time ago now. 

I agree a marquee (relative to others in so far) signing such as Dumfries would be very welcome.