IGNORED

Euro 2021

Just now, markjazzbassist said:

Pickford did well in the penalties, for me the rashford miss was the bummer.  He had him beat. 

No real sympathy though, when you fuck around and play games with your run it’s always a chance to do that. England’s last 3 pens where very poor. Southgate must feel so small given that he subbed 2 of them on for their penalty prowess. Honestly would have preferred to see Jordan take one 

Just now, Matt said:

The 2 players brought on specifically for pens undo the work of the rest. They had 1 job to do and faffed about. 

Bollocks. On the manager that, he was licking his lips cos he technically never lost.

Worst subs I have seen in 90 minutes and otherwise.

As soon as we had Grealish on we were at them. Poor saka, 19 years old. 

Just now, Hafnia said:

Bollocks. On the manager that, he was licking his lips cos he technically never lost.

Don't get me started on Southgate. But the Pogba dicking about run-up, lazy run-up from Sancho. Awful to put them in that position I agree but awful, awful penalties 

1 minute ago, Hafnia said:

Sorry Haf but it’s not poor Saka - he’s an international and this is his profession. He put his hand up for the kick and his effort was pretty average straight after Pickford swung the momentum by saving Jorginho. Rashford brought Italy back into it as well.

Just now, Matt said:

Don't get me started on Southgate. But the Pogba dicking about run-up, lazy run-up from Sancho. Awful to put them in that position I agree but awful, awful penalties 

I don’t call those stupid run up penalties as confidences I call it cocky, even Jorghinio got his just deserts. 

4 minutes ago, Btay said:

Sorry Haf but it’s not poor Saka - he’s an international and this is his profession. He put his hand up for the kick and his effort was pretty average straight after Pickford swung the momentum by saving Jorginho. Rashford brought Italy back into it as well.

He's a kid. He should never have been put in that position. Southgate has gotten a lot of plaudits to get us here, and rightly so. But he got this whole game very badly wrong. 

Quite simple really...... A 6ft 7 goally is essentially the same as shrinking the goal.  ........ Yet Southgate was prepping for penalties like it was his aim.   

Pickford was brilliant.  I've been his biggest critic but if our manager had Pickford's balls we win that game.

Not blaming penno takers.  It's a shite situation. 

Media expectedly kissing southgates arse. 

3 minutes ago, Matt said:

He's a kid. He should never have been put in that position. Southgate has gotten a lot of plaudits to get us here, and rightly so. But he got this whole game very badly wrong. 

I am so certain that no one had told Saka he is taking the 5th penalty in an international final unless he has put his hand up for it and said he wants it. 

Agree on the game Managment from Southgate though. Had england gone at Italy I have no doubt there was a result to be had in normal time.

6 minutes ago, Btay said:

No, saka been brilliant all tournament, disgraceful to rest our hopes on pennos.   68% save percentage Donarumma has from pennos......

Ooh look here's Gareth doing the job he's really good at ..... Being a nice loser. 

Just now, Btay said:

I am so certain that no one had told Saka he is taking the 5th penalty in an international final unless he has put his hand up for it and said he wants it. 

To be fair, there should have been a lot of others in that side that should have stepped in and said no. 

It was either Southgates choice or there are 5 bottlers in the final 11 (giving Pickford an excuse).

1 minute ago, Bailey said:

To be fair, there should have been a lot of others in that side that should have stepped in and said no. 

It was either Southgates choice or there are 5 bottlers in the final 11 (giving Pickford an excuse).

Perhaps but if the kid insists and puts his hand up and everyone says no - if it gets around to him taking the 6th or 7th penalty his confidence is now completely shot because it’s clear the squad doesn’t believe in him.

At the end of the day he doesn’t take the 5th penalty without putting his hand up. 

Can't really put into words how gutted I am - Gareth Southgate is an absolute hero though, has absolutely lifted this country and should have that trophy in his hands - abysmal from Rashford (inexcusable to stutter like that and then miss) and poor from Saka who was bang average all night. 

The sad reality is that this feels so much worse because of how detached I am from Everton at the minute, happy to just skip to Qatar tbh.

9 minutes ago, Btay said:

Agree on the game Managment from Southgate though. Had england gone at Italy I have no doubt there was a result to be had in normal time.

He might well have put his hand up and volunteered. A good manager says not this time, but take number 6. I feel for Saka second to Pickford who was outstanding all tournament.

3 minutes ago, Matt said:

He might well have put his hand up and volunteered. A good manager says not this time, but take number 6. I feel for Saka second to Pickford who was outstanding all tournament.

Agree, even take number 3 or 4. Let one of the guys who have come on solely to take a penalty take the responsibility. I don’t mean to be bashing Saka - he’s done well all tournament but that’s a big moment and he didn’t deliver.

I feel for everyone in the squad I’m proud of what the manager and players have achieved, first final for 55 years what’s not to be proud of if you’re English, a relatively young team which can only get better, penalties are a lottery and not a real indication of a team’s performance. 

10 minutes ago, Palfy said:

I feel for everyone in the squad I’m proud of what the manager and players have achieved, first final for 55 years what’s not to be proud of if you’re English, a relatively young team which can only get better, penalties are a lottery and not a real indication of a team’s performance. 

After half an hour in the first half they stopped trying to go forward, second half they were awful and there was only going to be one winner, poor decisions by Southgate cost us in the end.

Something I wrote to friends a few days ago: "England always seem to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory - offering hope to supporters only to dash them before the game is finally over - usually by losing on penalties." It's easy to be a sports writer in England: Just pull the old script from the bottom drawer.

All credit to England, though, for lasting for so long against a top team. In the end, home advantage is not enough. It's a young team, so there's hope for the future. If not, there's always the Home Championship.

Ill just add one last point on England, overall Southgate has done a good job with this bunch. I may not particularly like the football we play but the squad are united, the players are organised and they are tough to beat. You can genuinely see us going deep into competitions for those two reasons alone. 

I do think we have the quality to match any side in the world (just look at the Italian side that finished the game), but you still need to get the players out there and doing the job. I fear we will always fall that little bit short under Southgate but there isn't anyone better for the job. 

I hope he (and the players) look back at this tournament and assess where they fell short and don't get complacent and blame the misfortune of penalties.