IGNORED

Euro 2021

5 hours ago, Haiku said:

There's no way I'm cheering for England on the final after such a disgraceful way to win at home against the football selection of a 5 mil nation. In no Earth it was a fair penalty.  

I don't want to come across the wrong way when England fans are celebrating, however... In future Euros, I'd suggest they institute a rule that (excepting the final) no team plays in its home stadium. It provides a very unfair advantage (which England enjoyed throughout the tournament). The penalty was only given because of the crowd reaction. Denmark have every right to feel aggrieved.

Still, for the many England fans at these forums, congratulations that your team made it to the final - albeit controversially.

2 hours ago, Cornish Steve said:

... In future Euros, I'd suggest they institute a rule that (excepting the final) no team plays in its home stadium. It provides a very unfair advantage (which England enjoyed throughout the tournament).

Usually the EUROs are played in a single country, or 2 adjacent countries — e.g., Austria-Switzerland in ‘08, Poland-Ukraine in ‘12.  France hosted in ‘16, lost to Portugal in final that year.  Germany will host in ‘24, and as host is automatically qualified, and so will have a “home advantage” in all its matches.  Romania, Greece, Bulgaria, and Serbia intend to submit a joint bid to co-host in ‘28.  Denmark, Finland, Norway, and Sweden may do the same.

The 2020 (‘21) version was a kind of experiment/celebration, but spreading the matches all over Europe, from Glasgow to Baku, meant lots of travel for some teams, little for others.  Five teams did, yes, have home-field advantage in group stage; 3 won their group, 2 didn’t.

After the group stage, only England had home-field advantage in any match, in Round of 16 by luck of the draw and its group-finish, and in the semis and final because of Wembley as pre-selected site of last 3 matches.

So England did, in the event, have lots of home field advantage.  As will Germany in ‘24, for a different, more Euro-traditional reason.

1 hour ago, Palfy said:

I’ll get you an ambulance ready for Sunday mate😀

Just another bottle (or two) of JD will do!

8 minutes ago, Zoo 2.0 said:

Looking forward to @Romey 1878 logging back in around mid October after finally getting off the buzz of England beating Italy :lol:.

Work was difficult to get up for this morning, deary me.

I'm hurting a bit today but I see it as a fair trade off tbh.

10 hours ago, Palfy said:

On another day we could have had 4 or 5 but we met Casper in brilliant form. 

I think he's a very good keeper. Can't think of saves that another keeper wouldn't save though.  Sterling hit his shot right at him.  The Maguire header was lacking pace.....

Don't get me wrong we could have had a couple more maybe but the passages of play after bringing Henderson on was scary, sat back.

Yeah we got the result but...... Far too cagey

6 hours ago, Cornish Steve said:

I don't want to come across the wrong way when England fans are celebrating, however... In future Euros, I'd suggest they institute a rule that (excepting the final) no team plays in its home stadium. It provides a very unfair advantage (which England enjoyed throughout the tournament). The penalty was only given because of the crowd reaction. Denmark have every right to feel aggrieved.

Still, for the many England fans at these forums, congratulations that your team made it to the final - albeit controversially.

Can you explain the freekick that gave Denmark the lead? Cos it wasn't a foul.  It's 50/50 that the one before it was .....

Denmark should have been down to 9 men for the repeated fouls, if biase was at play then why didn't kane get his penno which was more a penno than sterlings.

Maguire yellow card??? Loads of poor decisions by the ref

9 hours ago, Matt said:

Never a pen but definitely the better team. 

Why did Grealish get subbed by the way? Tactical or injured? We went right into our shell the moment he went off, awful tactical decision if it was that. 

Couldn't agree more.  Sterling lost the ball more than Grealish.  I understand the sentiment but it was awful to watch ....... Prime Davey Moyes bringing heitinga on in midfield. 

8 minutes ago, Matt said:

How?! 

2-1 up and Denmark threw on an extra attacker and went all guns blazing, it made complete sense to add an additional defender and match them up formation wise.

The fresh legs also allowed us to counter attack with Trippier on more than one occasion too, which allowed us to get up the pitch and spread the play.

3 hours ago, Hafnia said:

Can you explain the freekick that gave Denmark the lead? Cos it wasn't a foul.  It's 50/50 that the one before it was .....

Denmark should have been down to 9 men for the repeated fouls, if biase was at play then why didn't kane get his penno which was more a penno than sterlings.

Maguire yellow card??? Loads of poor decisions by the ref

So what exactly is the point of having VAR?

34 minutes ago, Cornish Steve said:

I see UEFA is investigating the laser light shone at Schmeichel's face when the penalty was taken. What is it about English fans this time around? What idiot would do that?

It must be an English thing Cornish ...... Do you not get your complimentary laser pen walking in to the millennium stadium???

2 hours ago, Zoo 2.0 said:

2-1 up and Denmark threw on an extra attacker and went all guns blazing, it made complete sense to add an additional defender and match them up formation wise.

The fresh legs also allowed us to counter attack with Trippier on more than one occasion too, which allowed us to get up the pitch and spread the play.

I disagree with that completely. Grealish was fresh legs and gets freekicks out of nothing. He would was defending from the front. As soon as he went off we sat in our half and tried to soak up pressure. Made things so much more tense.

Wasn't against Trippier coming on by the way, just thought it was the wrong player coming off. But it worked out in the end so who cares :lol:

1 hour ago, Hafnia said:

It must be an English thing Cornish ...... Do you not get your complimentary laser pen walking in to the millennium stadium???

There are idiots at Atlanta home games for sure, with homophobic rants being common. I've not heard of anyone using a laser pointer to distract players, though. That's taking things to another level.

45 minutes ago, Cornish Steve said:

There are idiots at Atlanta home games for sure, with homophobic rants being common. I've not heard of anyone using a laser pointer to distract players, though. That's taking things to another level.

Dickheads are dickheads..... Do you think dickheads get together and establish dickhead boundaries?  "Right lads, tonight we are obviously gonna be dickheads .......  Can we just establish some ground rules???"

I'm sure you like to think that the Welsh are beyond this ..... But I'd like to point you to the Cardiff fans.....

6 hours ago, Cornish Steve said:

I see UEFA is investigating the laser light shone at Schmeichel's face when the penalty was taken. What is it about English fans this time around? What idiot would do that?

Just that an idiot they come in all shapes and sizes colours and nationalities, sorry to spoil your agenda but they aren’t just white Englishmen. 

19 hours ago, Cornish Steve said:

Haha how do you expect that to work in any international tournament? Just don’t allow the host nation to compete? 😂

20 hours ago, StevO said:

Haha how do you expect that to work in any international tournament? Just don’t allow the host nation to compete? 😂

In fact every single host nation in the history of the competition had it easier than us this time because they played every game at home and we had to travel to Rome for one.