IGNORED

Dwight McNeil

Aidan

8 minutes ago, Hafnia said:

Doesn’t matter I misread that you said we will sell for less than we paid. But yeah I agree, his value has de teased this year unless he learns to do hard yards 

My post wasn't really about missing out on some money when he goes in the summer. It was about the fact that not that long ago when it was suggested we should sell him if a good offer comes in it was met with indignation - we can't do that he's our best player! People suggested dropping him and it was met in the same way.

Now look at it. He doesn't work hard enough so he's got to be kept out of the team.

He's the exact same player he was, no different, but the reaction to him is very different.

13 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

My post wasn't really about missing out on some money when he goes in the summer. It was about the fact that not that long ago when it was suggested we should sell him if a good offer comes in it was met with indignation - we can't do that he's our best player! People suggested dropping him and it was met in the same way.

Now look at it. He doesn't work hard enough so he's got to be kept out of the team.

He's the exact same player he was, no different, but the reaction to him is very different.

I was probably in the same boat as you it seems. I don’t rate Gray all that much - too selfish/fancy dan for me. However, I think what might I have changed is that the alternatives have stepped up (e.g. McNeil) whereas as before Gray was worth keeping inspite of his flaws. Just speculating. 

15 minutes ago, Goodison Glory said:

I was probably in the same boat as you it seems. I don’t rate Gray all that much - too selfish/fancy dan for me. However, I think what might I have changed is that the alternatives have stepped up (e.g. McNeil) whereas as before Gray was worth keeping inspite of his flaws. Just speculating. 

McNeil has played well for a game and a half out of three. It's hardly cause to suggest 'our best player' shouldn't get a look in now.

Personally, I'm not his biggest fan and would have sold him but I would have used him more in these three games.

38 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

I think we all know I’ve got a very specific annoyance when it comes to lazy players.  I actually think under Rafa he did put in some hard yards cos Rafa won’t have it.  

I believe that along with Gordon the two of them dropped off under lampard and for me their attitude wasn’t on point. 

1 hour ago, Wiggytop said:

If only he could hit the ball with his right foot, he would be so much better, I really can’t get my head around the fact that he’s clearly never put any effort into developing some form of ability with his right ( other than propping himself up)

I really don’t get it either. I understand having a preferred foot, but is he really so one-sided that he can’t do anything with his right? You’d think a professional would at least be able to shoot with it somewhat. He absolutely refuses to try anything with his right, and it’s bonkers. 

5 hours ago, Wiggytop said:

If only he could hit the ball with his right foot, he would be so much better, I really can’t get my head around the fact that he’s clearly never put any effort into developing some form of ability with his right ( other than propping himself up)

It's embarrassing that a professional footballer can't do anything with their weaker foot.

I actually hesitate to call it a weaker foot because, in his case, it's utterly non-existent.

I was going to say something about McNeil only having one foot, but having read the last few posts I think I'll give it a miss 😀 

Thought he played well on Saturday and looked like a player who knew exactly what his job was and what was expected of him. He stuck to his task well.

11 hours ago, Zoo 2.0 said:

I've never seen a player more one footed than Dwight McNeil, to the point where it actually amazes me that he bypassed enough scouts and coaches to make it professional.

I'm just amazed people are only complaining about it now when it was on full display in the first game. 

55 minutes ago, Matt said:

I'm just amazed people are only complaining about it now when it was on full display in the first game. 

I was told it wouldn't be a problem and that his right foot was 'serviceable' when I said it was a big issue how one-footed he is when he signed.

I can't remember who it was but they were American and don't post much, if at all, now.

15 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

I was told it wouldn't be a problem and that his right foot was 'serviceable' when I said it was a big issue how one-footed he is when he signed.

I can't remember who it was but they were American and don't post much, if at all, now.

Well I'm slightly left of centre so I'm pretty cool with it😉

Generally if you are a winger it’s never too much of an issue unless you find yourself in a central position. 

it’s amazing how many world class players have been so one footed and most of them left footed. Messi maradona, hagi, Stoichkov, Carlos.

he’s obviously not in that bracket but his cross delivery was superb on Saturday. Surely dcl would be looking at them thinking “goals for me”

I've noticed recently since he's been out on the right wing how right footed Iwobi is.  It causes him problems as he's not really someone that wants to cross the ball so he will look to beat his man but he can only ever go one way.  If he want to turn back he needs to make a full turn back on himself to play the ball back on his right.

One thing we are lacking with having genuine 1 footed players on each wing is the ability to cut inside and get a shot off, something that Gray excels in.  It would  be lovely to have a genuinely 2 footed player who could put a good cross in and cut inside for a quality shot! (dreams...)

I noticed at the end of the game we kind of went to 2 left wingers for a bit with Gray able to come in and McNeil staying wide.  Very unbalanced but gave us a bit of both worlds.

I'd like to see Gray get a chance as a no.10 where he can get a chance to get a shot off more, he can then be a bit more free to pick up on the left and come in side but also play across the line.

1 hour ago, Romey 1878 said:

It's serviceable in the sense he can use it for standing and occasionally running, but I wouldn't really pay attention to that if the poster came from a place where football is played with the hands 99% of the time...

1 hour ago, Hafnia said:

Generally if you are a winger it’s never too much of an issue unless you find yourself in a central position. 

it’s amazing how many world class players have been so one footed and most of them left footed. Messi maradona, hagi, Stoichkov, Carlos.

he’s obviously not in that bracket but his cross delivery was superb on Saturday. Surely dcl would be looking at them thinking “goals for me”

I know what you mean but the point is McNeil cannot even pass or receive the ball with his right foot. All wingers that I remember could at least pass or control the ball with their weaker foot, actually true for all players.

His left foot is a wand but he needs to be able to do the basics with his right. 

7 hours ago, Matt said:

I know what you mean but the point is McNeil cannot even pass or receive the ball with his right foot. All wingers that I remember could at least pass or control the ball with their weaker foot, actually true for all players.

His left foot is a wand but he needs to be able to do the basics with his right. 

It seem more noticeable with McNeil over others who are similar, Chilwell, Shaw, Nigel Winterburn all of them always try and use their left foot over their right.

If we had someone to get on the end of his crosses the past two games, as Haf mentioned DCL would have had a field day. I guess our plan for the rest of season is if DCL can do 60 mins a game ( big ask I know ) and Simm or Maupay see out the game.

15 minutes ago, Wiggytop said:

It seem more noticeable with McNeil over others who are similar, Chilwell, Shaw, Nigel Winterburn all of them always try and use their left foot over their right.

If we had someone to get on the end of his crosses the past two games, as Haf mentioned DCL would have had a field day. I guess our plan for the rest of season is if DCL can do 60 mins a game ( big ask I know ) and Simm or Maupay see out the game.

Every player has a stronger foot, that's normal. Have only 1 competent foot is not and that's why it's so noticible. 

13 hours ago, Matt said:

Every player has a stronger foot, that's normal. Have only 1 competent foot is not and that's why it's so noticible. 

It became a big problem in the second half after Villa cottoned on to us looking for him at every opportunity. They stopped him being able to go on the outside on his left foot so then because he has no right foot to speak of he had to turn backwards so that he could pass to a teammate. If he had a right foot then he could play the ball infield and keep us moving forward.

I am genuinely surprised he's made it to the PL being as limited as he is.

It’s true that every players has a dominant foot, but what’s mad is that he seems to have not even a concept of a right foot.

And let’s not go too mad about his left foot either - Saturday he had a good game and he blootered more than his share of dead balls and crosses into the box - that free kick!  

Sheedy, and occasionally Andy Hinchcliffe - they hand a wand. If McNeil can get even 50% of their level, he’ll be doing well.  I Hope he does but he’s no where near it so far.

9 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

It became a big problem in the second half after Villa cottoned on to us looking for him at every opportunity. They stopped him being able to go on the outside on his left foot so then because he has no right foot to speak of he had to turn backwards so that he could pass to a teammate. If he had a right foot then he could play the ball infield and keep us moving forward.

I am genuinely surprised he's made it to the PL being as limited as he is.

This is why o have Doucoure MoM. McNeil was great in the first half but quiet second half.

Doucs got more and more into the match and didn’t stop. He looked crestfallen at the final whistle. 

32 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

His one-footedness is nowhere near as big a problem when others are playing well as well (like yesterday). We need to step up as a team so that people's strengths can shine.

And he does work extremely hard for the team, which will always give you grace with the fanbase.

Did he? I was only listening so hard to comment. Thought he was lazy for the first, he should've seen Godfrey filling in and cover as left back. 

1 hour ago, Matt said:

Did he? I was only listening so hard to comment. Thought he was lazy for the first, he should've seen Godfrey filling in and cover as left back. 

I'm not sure it's laziness, I just think he's a bit stupid and often it's his slowness that make's it look like he's lazy. Keane and Davies look like sprinters next to him :lol:.