IGNORED

Dwight McNeil

Aidan

Great finish, but will struggle to stay in this team, unfortunately he’s just not good enough and I can’t see him improving enough to become a an average player in the PL, to many elements of his game are below par. Yet he will be a good player to have on the bench because when he comes on he gives his all, and with his finishing he always has the ability to get an important goal. 

2 hours ago, Palfy said:

Great finish, but will struggle to stay in this team, unfortunately he’s just not good enough and I can’t see him improving enough to become a an average player in the PL, to many elements of his game are below par. Yet he will be a good player to have on the bench because when he comes on he gives his all, and with his finishing he always has the ability to get an important goal. 

Don’t forget he’s only 1 year older than Gordon.   Plenty of potential. Let’s not forget iwobi and how he was written off. 

3 hours ago, Palfy said:

I agree that we will likely be better off with players like Gray and McNeil on the bench. I also agree it’s great to have some match winners to sub on. I’m not sure we have another player who would have finished that chance.

2 hours ago, SpartyBlue said:

I agree that we will likely be better off with players like Gray and McNeil on the bench. I also agree it’s great to have some match winners to sub on. I’m not sure we have another player who would have finished that chance.

How many times in the  past have we looked at the bench and prayed that no-one had to come off?

I think it's far to early to be down on him already.

I always thought he was mainly brought in as a hard working player who would also delivery quality ball in to the box for DCL etc to get on the end off. Unfortunately, offensively we have to been able to utilise this way of player.

One of our worried was that he might not score many, well he took his goal well at the weekend and turned out to be a winning goal as well. This will give him some confidence. 

9 hours ago, Wiggytop said:

I think there’s more to come, he was very good for Burnley the season before last, not so    last one, he’s lacking confidence, which he showed lots of in his breakout season, hopefully the goal will be the spark he needs.

He did also play a sublime ball in for Gray late that he couldn’t convert. Really does have a bit of magic dust on that left foot.

• 3 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

I'm really pleased for him for getting that goal, it will hopefully give him the confidence boost he clearly needs.

It was a cracking run forward with the ball, and exactly what we needed at the time. Kept his cool for the finish too.

A player who has been prematurely judged. Won’t be the first time. I like him as a player, just lacks a bit of pace. 

46 minutes ago, Hafnia said:

A player who has been prematurely judged. Won’t be the first time. I like him as a player, just lacks a bit of pace. 

I am with you on this. I don't think he actually has done that bad.

He is not a Richarlison replacement for sure, he offers something a little different.

Is chipping in with goals, as a lot of people worried about his lack of goals. However, he has already equaled his Premiership tally of 2 for the past two season, without really setting the world on fire yet. 

I think he will be a 'steady' player for us as this team become more familiar with each other.

On 23/10/2022 at 02:22, Palfy said:

I know he wouldn't see it this way but the games he starts in he's been invisible, bring him on as a sub and he does something, am I right in thinking both his goals have come from the bench. Every team needs a super sub could he be ours. 

I’d like to see him start though when we play like that. We’ve been a little bit hot & cold this season. Get Mcneil whipping crosses in whilst DCL is on the pitch and it’s just another dimension to the team. Hope he really kicks on after that goal though!

1 hour ago, Btay said:

I’d like to see him start though when we play like that. We’ve been a little bit hot & cold this season. Get Mcneil whipping crosses in whilst DCL is on the pitch and it’s just another dimension to the team. Hope he really kicks on after that goal though!

He can create. We don’t have many that can do that or that can shoot well from outside the box. He has certainly lacked consistency in between those moments of magic. We may simply have to live with that.

I had high hopes for him, he was good at Burnley in his first couple of season, not so last year. I think it’s taking him longer to settle to a new team, I think it’s his first move, but he’s looking better each game, both his goals have been really good, he certainly has a good shot on him and can cross, having DCL as a target can only be good for him, and they should both be on the pitch at the same time. If our three wingers play to their strengths we can be dangerous to any team.

It will be interesting to see how he gets on under Lampard. I think one of Lampard's attributes appears to be that he does seem to give players he trusts confidence. I think he will encourage McNeil to be brave and expressive in the final third of the pitch, but also trust him to put a shift in when we are without the ball. 

• 2 months later...
On 25/10/2022 at 08:15, Wiggytop said:

I had high hopes for him, he was good at Burnley in his first couple of season, not so last year. I think it’s taking him longer to settle to a new team, I think it’s his first move, but he’s looking better each game, both his goals have been really good, he certainly has a good shot on him and can cross, having DCL as a target can only be good for him, and they should both be on the pitch at the same time. If our three wingers play to their strengths we can be dangerous to any team.

What the feck was I smoking that day?

McNeil has been 100% shite in his last two appearances ( cameos really) his lack of closing down and general apathy cost us at least one goal last night.

His only attribute seems to be able to run in circles as if he is tied to a post. I don’t agree in booing off players, but I had to hold back from doing so last night, most didnt.

26 minutes ago, Wiggytop said:

What the feck was I smoking that day?

McNeil has been 100% shite in his last two appearances ( cameos really) his lack of closing down and general apathy cost us at least one goal last night.

His only attribute seems to be able to run in circles as if he is tied to a post. I don’t agree in booing off players, but I had to hold back from doing so last night, most didnt.

I was just about to post his tracking back and not tackling as that second went in. I think it highlighted his not putting a foot in, and the ball was just easily pulled back for a cross in.

• 4 weeks later...