IGNORED

Frank Lampard

2 minutes ago, Btay said:

Gordon’s been exceptional for his breakout year and age but his final third play needs work. Once the goals and assists come he will be lethal next season though and fingers crossed he is.

If he had players working as hard as him to make space etc he will get the output. DCL just watched as he pressed the players he wasn’t doing against spurs. 

2 minutes ago, Hafnia said:

If he had players working as hard as him to make space etc he will get the output. DCL just watched as he pressed the players he wasn’t doing against spurs. 

Agreed, I’m not having a go at him I’m just saying he has areas to work on. He is doing all the right things - genuinely think he will be a proper player.

16 hours ago, Btay said:

Franks made mistakes no doubt but I think we can at least understand the style he wants us to play. There’s a direction in that sense and it is “Everton” type football.

Unfortunately, the players heads are so far gone and it’s reflective in their performances/ability. We have amassed a squad of players who are okay in some aspects but have glaring weaknesses of which teams are exposing. I can’t think of a player in our team who is a “complete” player or is excellent enough in certain aspects to cover their weaknesses ( Pickford and maybe Richarlison are the closest in my opinion )

I think you hit the nail on the head. 

We don't have a lot of complete footballers. They arent exactly easy to come by and the best ones go right to the top but I look at some average players, a bit like McCarthy was for us. Not great at anything but he was good in pretty much all areas and when he was fit you could rely on him. 

I don't really see many of those type of players in our squad. There will always be players that have that hit or miss profile but every squad needs a core group of reliable players behind them. 

2 hours ago, Bailey said:

We don't have a lot of complete footballers. They arent exactly easy to come by and the best ones go right to the top but I look at some average players, a bit like McCarthy was for us. Not great at anything but he was good in pretty much all areas and when he was fit you could rely on him. 

I don't really see many of those type of players in our squad. There will always be players that have that hit or miss profile but every squad needs a core group of reliable players behind them. 

Yeah exactly and the players aren’t excellent in their strong points enough to cover their weaknesses. Doucoure for example - physically/athletically sound but technically very average. Opposite for Allan. 

8 hours ago, Bailey said:

Tom Davies?

Frank at Derby, was praised for giving youth a chance, we have 2 new fullbacks who need a run in the team.

We have one old FB who has been a great servant, but should have been replaced at least a year ago.

We have another RB playing LB, who is not good enough at this level in any position.

Play the new players Frank, don't get us relegated doing the same old, same old, that does not work.

At least try to keep us up, if you fail trying so be it, but please try.

As for the CB you have got what you have got.

2 hours ago, Matt said:

Tom Davies?

Athleticism is piss poor imo.  Runs like he’s on a treadmill set at 15kph. One speed, a bit like fellaini was.  Strength is poor. 

however our midfield would be far better if we had him in as he was very good from a positional perspective. Cutting passing lanes etc. 

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-10677657/Frank-Lampard-stands-comments-following-Evertons-FA-Cup-humiliation-Crystal-Palace.html

I am a little concerned that Lampard thought that we were tactically good against Newcastle. We started brightly and just like Palace, they worked us out and were the better side. Ironically it was the sending off that won us the game because Newcastle took their foot off the gas and it allowed us to just sit in and focus on defending the 18 yard box. 

See I watched that game twice. And we had the better chances and more of them. We contained them, we outplayed them, and beat them.

But if you listen and get swayed by the commentary, it was all about how Newcastle are resurgent and we are in trouble. I wonder if it would have been different had Peter Reid been commentating and not Alan Shearer.

45 minutes ago, Shukes said:

See I watched that game twice. And we had the better chances and more of them. We contained them, we outplayed them, and beat them.

But if you listen and get swayed by the commentary, it was all about how Newcastle are resurgent and we are in trouble. I wonder if it would have been different had Peter Reid been commentating and not Alan Shearer.

What chances did we have? I have just checked the highlights and we basically had the goal. Gordon had a shot from the edge and Godfrey a header from about 12 yards out but both are low percentage chances. 

Newcastle had a Wood header from 6 yards out, another from a corner from about the same distance and a chance at an angle when we were down to 10. 

We had just one moment. We did really well with 10 men but before that we they were passing through us far too simply. It was just lucky for us that it was two crap sides playing crap football. They had the opportunity to punish us a lot more than we had the chance to punish them. Only my opinion of course, but it certainly wasn't like we were tactically sound. The same problems we had against Spurs and Palace were apparant in the Newcastle game. 

12 hours ago, Bailey said:

What chances did we have? I have just checked the highlights and we basically had the goal. Gordon had a shot from the edge and Godfrey a header from about 12 yards out but both are low percentage chances. 

Newcastle had a Wood header from 6 yards out, another from a corner from about the same distance and a chance at an angle when we were down to 10. 

We had just one moment. We did really well with 10 men but before that we they were passing through us far too simply. It was just lucky for us that it was two crap sides playing crap football. They had the opportunity to punish us a lot more than we had the chance to punish them. Only my opinion of course, but it certainly wasn't like we were tactically sound. The same problems we had against Spurs and Palace were apparant in the Newcastle game. 

But you watched the game.  We got behind them plenty of times. 
We don’t need Sky sports to tell us what a chance is. Getting behind them means we have a good opportunity. Because it doesn’t lead to a shot on target…. Doesn’t mean the chance wasn’t there.

No way did they have more chances than us. 
We were in freefall and the tactic was to be compact and create a few chances. We did that and ended up taking the points. The position we’re in means these tactics are needed to grind out points. 

Tactics don’t need to be play like Man City to be tactics. They just need to get us points. 
Wasn’t pretty, wasn’t like we smashed them. But a Newcastle team that are resurgent came to us and created very little. For me, that means we got something right.

4 hours ago, RPG said:

I don't know how true this is but I have been told that when most former pro footballers watch a game on tv they do it with the sound muted so they can make their own minds up, free of 'interference' from the commentator.

Sounds like a good way to be subjective.

Shearer was anything but when commentating. Made Newcastle sound like a top four team, and us like we should be honoured to be on the same pitch as them haha.

2 hours ago, Shukes said:

But you watched the game.  We got behind them plenty of times. 
We don’t need Sky sports to tell us what a chance is. Getting behind them means we have a good opportunity. Because it doesn’t lead to a shot on target…. Doesn’t mean the chance wasn’t there.

No way did they have more chances than us. 
We were in freefall and the tactic was to be compact and create a few chances. We did that and ended up taking the points. The position we’re in means these tactics are needed to grind out points. 

Tactics don’t need to be play like Man City to be tactics. They just need to get us points. 
Wasn’t pretty, wasn’t like we smashed them. But a Newcastle team that are resurgent came to us and created very little. For me, that means we got something right.

I dont think we did get behind them anywhere near enough. When we did it wasnt in threatening positions and it wasnt in the numbers you need. 

Aside from the first 10-15 minutes there wasnt any other point where I thought we looked like we had any control on the game. On the contrary, Newcastle were the ones passing through our midfield and getting at our back line, just like when Coleman made that last ditch challenge. IMO, and I accept you may see it otherwise, Newcastle were the ones who had greater control of the game and it followed the same pattern as the Southampton, Spurs, Palace etc games. It just played out a lot more evenly because they are a crap side as well.

Not sure why we are getting hung up on a lampard tactical deep dive. Pep could manage this shower and look like Mike Bassett. 

shy of getting a player on the pitch who can lead these players, we are reliant on them as individuals being arsed enough to run, track, press, concentrate and do the basics.  

make no mistake, lampard and Thelwell will be working harder in the off-season than they are now. 

23 minutes ago, Bailey said:

I dont think we did get behind them anywhere near enough. When we did it wasnt in threatening positions and it wasnt in the numbers you need. 

Aside from the first 10-15 minutes there wasnt any other point where I thought we looked like we had any control on the game. On the contrary, Newcastle were the ones passing through our midfield and getting at our back line, just like when Coleman made that last ditch challenge. IMO, and I accept you may see it otherwise, Newcastle were the ones who had greater control of the game and it followed the same pattern as the Southampton, Spurs, Palace etc games. It just played out a lot more evenly because they are a crap side as well.

Suppose it’s all opinions mate. I thought their midfield was just the same as ours. 
I also thought we got the ball to line quite a bit, but didn’t get that last ball right. But I was happy we were at last getting the ball to the line…. As we’ve looked scared to do that this season. We also handled their fast players really well, unlike last time.

But your right, some fans see it differently……

and I’m right 😉

17 minutes ago, Hafnia said:

Not sure why we are getting hung up on a lampard tactical deep dive. Pep could manage this shower and look like Mike Bassett. 

shy of getting a player on the pitch who can lead these players, we are reliant on them as individuals being arsed enough to run, track, press, concentrate and do the basics.  

make no mistake, lampard and Thelwell will be working harder in the off-season than they are now. 

They have a job in the summer. And I can see a few harsh truths being spelled out. We don’t need a complete overhaul, but maybe three right signings.

A strong leader at the back is an absolute must. 

A midfield general is needed. 

A goal scorer would be fantastic.

2 minutes ago, Shukes said:

They have a job in the summer. And I can see a few harsh truths being spelled out. We don’t need a complete overhaul, but maybe three right signings.

A strong leader at the back is an absolute must. 

A midfield general is needed. 

A goal scorer would be fantastic.

The leader at the back is definitely questionable but a lot of people would argue that we have the other two already (Allan and Dom). 

Just now, Bailey said:

The leader at the back is definitely questionable but a lot of people would argue that we have the other two already (Allan and Dom). 

Ye I love Allan. But I worry he is going to getting slower and slower now. Absolutely love him and wish he had a few years ago. 
I also rate Dom, but worry about his finishing and has he got that fight in him, or is he ready to go.

Just now, Bailey said:

Allan is too slow for this league at his age. Good player but missing legs.

DCL if we can get £60m for him is a must sell.  Not a finisher imo, if we could get Abrahams in at £40m it’s a deffo better swap.

2 minutes ago, Shukes said:

Ye I love Allan. But I worry he is going to getting slower and slower now. Absolutely love him and wish he had a few years ago. 
I also rate Dom, but worry about his finishing and has he got that fight in him, or is he ready to go.

I wouldn't disagree with either of those comments.

1 minute ago, Hafnia said:

Allan is too slow for this league at his age. Good player but missing legs.

DCL if we can get £60m for him is a must sell.  Not a finisher imo, if we could get Abrahams in at £40m it’s a deffo better swap.

I am very much of the opinion that this summer is the time to sell some or our assets and reinvest. Whilst our January signings are a little questionable at the moment, Lampard brought in a lot of good players for Chelsea and Derby and with a few quid behind him I am sure he could get in a few good players to improve the squad a lot. 

I see it a little like the summer Rooney left. 

9 hours ago, Bailey said:

I wouldn't disagree with either of those comments.

I am very much of the opinion that this summer is the time to sell some or our assets and reinvest. Whilst our January signings are a little questionable at the moment, Lampard brought in a lot of good players for Chelsea and Derby and with a few quid behind him I am sure he could get in a few good players to improve the squad a lot. 

I see it a little like the summer Rooney left. 

It’s just the same every couple of years though isn’t it.

We sold Lukaku and convinced ourselves we would have a better “team” after it but we haven’t.

7 minutes ago, Btay said:

It’s just the same every couple of years though isn’t it.

We sold Lukaku and convinced ourselves we would have a better “team” after it but we haven’t.

I think there was always going to be a vaccuum when Lukaku went because of the goals he scored. You can't just replace that easily.

When you look at Richie and Dom, how much are they contributing? Dom has had one good season, which given how many he scored early was ultimately disappointing and Richie has maybe had one double figure season? Assist wise both aren't adding much either.

Like Romey says though, I wouldnt trust this lot in charge to invest any money wisely.

3 hours ago, Bailey said:

I think there was always going to be a vaccuum when Lukaku went because of the goals he scored. You can't just replace that easily.

When you look at Richie and Dom, how much are they contributing? Dom has had one good season, which given how many he scored early was ultimately disappointing and Richie has maybe had one double figure season? Assist wise both aren't adding much either.

Like Romey says though, I wouldnt trust this lot in charge to invest any money wisely.

Completely agree.

I’ve never felt more disconnected with an Everton team. This lot would survive relegation by 1 point on the last day and be dancing together in the corner flag first game of the next season.