IGNORED

Summer 2022 Transfer Window

Just now, MikeO said:

Fantastic in as much that I don't think we neen to worry too much about relegation any more, even though the bookies still have us third favourite behind Bournemouth and Forest; if I was a Leicester fan I'd be very worried.

I think when we’ve got a few wins on the table we’ll all relax a bit more. The scar tissue from last season isn’t going anywhere just yet. 

We now have Maupay and with a bit of luck in 2 or 3 games time we will have DCL back . Although, the transfer window is now closed, it opens again in 13 games time.

Given the amount of problems we have had throughout the squad, I think great strives have been make in Lampard and Thelwalls first crack at it together. I think they have achieved a lot on a fairly limited resources. Gana for £2m and Garner for an initial £9m, being particularly good value moves.

Since Christmas we’ve brought in;

Left backs, Mykolenko & Vinagre. 
Right back, Patterson. 
Centre backs, Tarkowski & Coady. 
Midfielders, Gana, Onana & Garner. 
Winger, McNeil. 
Forward, Maupay. 

That’s a lot of changes, plus Dele in and out. Thankfully, we’ve seen quite a few leave too. I’m not a fan of a lot of changes in any window, but they were needed. I hope this is just the first step in Frank and Kevin building a squad they want. 

Line up in first game after last seasons transfer window.

Pickford

Godfrey Mina Keane

Coleman Allan Doucoure Digne

Townsend Richarlison Grey

Manager - Rafa

A potential line up 12 months later

Pickford

Patterson, Coady, Tarkowski, Mykolenko

Onana, Gana, Garner (or a reborn Iwobi)

Mc Neil, Maupay, Gordon

Manager - Lampard

Quite a difference. 

The age profile and mobility of this squad has flipped.

IN: Tarkowski, McNeil, Onana, Maupay, Gana, Garner (Approx. net spend: 91 million pounds)
OUT: Richarlison (Approx. net revenue: 60 million pounds)
LOAN IN: Vinagre, Coady
LOAN OUT: JVirginia, Branthwaite, Simms, Dobbin, Broadhead, Gibson, Dele, Gbamin, Nkounkou, Gomes

Out of contract end of 22/23 season: Begovic, Lonergan, Mina, Seamus, Allan, Davies, Townsend, Rondon

Squad for 22/23 right now:
GK: Pickford, Begovic, Lonergan
RB: Patterson, Coleman
CB: Tarkowski, Coady, Holgate, Mina, Godfrey, Keane
LB: Mykolenko, Vinagre

CM: Onana, Doucoure, Iwobi, Allan, Davies, Garner, Gana
W: Gordon, McNeil, Gray, Townsend
ST: DCL, Rondon, Maupay

Squad for 23/24 right now:
GK: Pickford, J Virginia, Crellin
RB: Patterson
CB: Tarkowski, Holgate, Godfrey, Keane, Branthwaite
LB: Mykolenko, Nkounkou

CM: Onana, Doucoure, Iwobi, Garner, Gana, Gomes, Gbamin, Dele
W: Gordon, McNeil, Gray
ST: DCL, Maupay

5 hours ago, AlbanyNYToffee said:

IN: Tarkowski, McNeil, Onana, Maupay, Gana, Garner (Approx. net spend: 91 million pounds)
OUT: Richarlison (Approx. net revenue: 60 million pounds)
LOAN IN: Vinagre, Coady
LOAN OUT: JVirginia, Branthwaite, Simms, Dobbin, Broadhead, Gibson, Dele, Gbamin, Nkounkou, Gomes

Out of contract end of 22/23 season: Begovic, Lonergan, Mina, Seamus, Allan, Davies, Townsend, Rondon

Squad for 22/23 right now:
GK: Pickford, Begovic, Lonergan
RB: Patterson, Coleman
CB: Tarkowski, Coady, Holgate, Mina, Godfrey, Keane
LB: Mykolenko, Vinagre

CM: Onana, Doucoure, Iwobi, Allan, Davies, Garner, Gana
W: Gordon, McNeil, Gray, Townsend
ST: DCL, Rondon, Maupay

Squad for 23/24 right now:
GK: Pickford, J Virginia, Crellin
RB: Patterson
CB: Tarkowski, Holgate, Godfrey, Keane, Branthwaite
LB: Mykolenko, Nkounkou

CM: Onana, Doucoure, Iwobi, Garner, Gana, Gomes, Gbamin, Dele
W: Gordon, McNeil, Gray
ST: DCL, Maupay

Good stuff. Where do you usually pull this data from? 

I think on the whole we've done a good job.

As mentioned above, got some high wages off the books, if not with sales then with loans which will have to do.

We are still a bit short attack wise and there aren't a lot of options off the bench but hopefully DCL can get and stay fit and we'll have Maupay and one of the other attackers on the bench with him to provide backup and options.

Lampard clearly saw freshening up the midfield as a clear area and he's done a good job on that.  Onana and Garnder are really positive young signings whilst we know what Gueye can give us which should hopefully allow those midfielders in front of him to get more time on the ball.

The defence has seen 2 experienced leaders come in and settle in well straight away.  They will both be good for Holgate and Godfrey who can learn from them and be marshalled by them in game.

Whilst we still don't have a massively strong squad we have a stronger more balanced 11 with a bit of good backup and younger additions who will be on less pay and have future potential both in the team and sell on value.

We may still struggle for goals at times but I think with the improvements in defence and midfield we will hopefully be able to get more of a grip on games and therefore offer more going forward.

I've seen mixed reviews on the window. In my opinion, those that are not happy with the window I imagine would think it was a successful one had we singed one more forward player. From where I stand, I am satisfied with the window and think we did some much needed business. 

If we take the squad as a whole at the start of the window, we see areas that needed revamping and areas that needed reinforcing. The two areas that needed revamping were CB and CM.

We brought in 2 experienced, quality CBs in Coady and Tarks - probably the best we could get in our circumstances and both cost next to nothing. We now have 5 CBs competing for 2 or 3 spots. Much more quality and depth. 

CM needed a complete overhaul. For me, it was the most important area to improve on during the window. Gueye will bring experience and tenacity, along with Onana's energy and drive. I think Garner will be introduced slowly, but another option and young exciting player who can develop here. Iwobi feels like a new singing and will hopefully be a main stay in midfield for us. We again have more depth here too, Doucoure, Allan, Davies all fighting for a place in the starting line up. This now gives us 7 players fighting for 2 or 3 spots. 

In the wide positions we have Grey, Gordon, McNeil and Townsend, along with Maupay who has played in wider positions during his career. Admittedly, this area appears a little light in depth. It would have been nice to add another forward to the squad before the window closed, however we have addressed a lot of major issues this window and I believe we have recruited the right personnel. I'd much rather the club spend time recruiting and getting it right, than buying for the sake of it like we've seen in the past (even as recently as Rondon, El Ghazi). 

In a way we have replaced Richarlison's goals with Maupay. Although whether or not he starts along with DCL is yet to be seen. For me this adds a lot more pressure on wider forward to score goals. I don't think we will see buckets full from McNeil, which for me adds expectation on Grey and especially Gordon. We've seen Gordon take a lot of shots on so far this season, and despite Dom returning I expect this to continue.

In an ideal world, I'd hope to see DCL hit 15 goals this season if he stays fit, Gordon 10, Maupay 7-10, and at least another 10 between Iwobi, Townsend, Grey and McNeil. With a much more rounded midfield and defence, I'll be more confident against us conceding 63 goals this season like we did last. My belief is we probably wont score more than 50 goals this season, because we don't have the personnel, but I hope we can win a lot more games with a much more balanced squad. 

In Conclusion, net spend is roughly £25m in total, but the squad is a lot better off in terms of quality and depth. We've also freed the club of some expensive wages such as Sigurdsson, Richarlison, Tosun, Gomes, Delph, Alli, Gbamin - most of those players we're likely on £80k+ per week. Gueye and Tarks are the only two players we have signed who I can see us being close to that wage. I think we've improved the squad drastically (minus losing Richy) whilst also improving the finances and wage structure of the club.

Interesting point made in Frank's press conference I hadnt thought of. Because of the world cup we actually have 6 weeks of games missing before the next transfer window. In other words squad depth is a little less important this year than any other because we don't have nearly as many fixtures to play prior to January. Furthermore we might send 2-3 to the world cup at best so you'd expect a fully fit squad on boxing day coming out of the world cup. 

I think we have had a really good summer. It has been by far one of our best windows for a long time but it was also long overdue!

The transformation in midfield is going to be huge from this time last year. We have quality and depth.

We also now have a back-up striker that will actually contribute as well, which is another big bonus.

I do think we are still light out wide. Gray and Gordon are what they are, McNeil is still finding his feet (include his poor last season in that too) and I am not really expecting anything from Townsend. Richarlison is and will continue to be a big miss but hopefully those players mentioned can step up and contribute in the way he did.

There are certainly no excuses now. This group has to settle in quickly and start performing because it is going to be a very long season if we don't start picking up a good chunk of points before the winter break.