IGNORED

Summer 2022 Transfer Window

The longer I've been a fan the less appealing it becomes to every year suggest wholesale changes. Usually 2-3 incomings is all it takes to have a real impact. That said, I see absolutely no hope for most of this squad and IF we don't get relegated it will be the biggest summer in the 21st century. We're unbelievably close to being a consistent midtable club whose measure of success would be top half and is one or two injuries from relegation, forget about Europe. Think Villa and Southampton. I don't know much about this lad Thelwell but he has a meteoric task on hand. 

Squad for 22/23 right now:
GK: Pickford, Begovic(option), J Virginia, Crellin
DEF: Keane, Mina, Holgate, Godfrey, Mykolenko, Coleman, Patterson, Branthwaite, Nkounkou
MID: Allan, Doucoure, Gomes, Davies, Gbamin, Dele
FWD: DCL, Richarlison, Gray, Townsend, Gordon, Iwobi, Rondon

Gone after 21/22: Lonergan, Kenny, Delph, Siggy, Tosun, El Ghazi, Tosun
On loan 22/23: Moise Kean

Needs to go: Keane, Holgate, Gomes, Gbamin, Iwobi, Rondon
Need to sign: Starting RB, Starting CB, Starting LB, Starting DCM, Starting #10/playmaker, backup ST, backup W, 2 backup CMs

At least 6 out and 9 in under our financial fair play restrictions. The only glimmer of hope is Thelwell can use his knowledge of MLS to find a bargain or two. There's legitimate talent here now. 

15 hours ago, AlbanyNYToffee said:

The longer I've been a fan the less appealing it becomes to every year suggest wholesale changes. Usually 2-3 incomings is all it takes to have a real impact. That said, I see absolutely no hope for most of this squad and IF we don't get relegated it will be the biggest summer in the 21st century. We're unbelievably close to being a consistent midtable club whose measure of success would be top half and is one or two injuries from relegation, forget about Europe. Think Villa and Southampton. I don't know much about this lad Thelwell but he has a meteoric task on hand. 

GK: Pickford, Begovic(option), J Virginia, Crellin
DEF: Keane, Mina, Holgate, Godfrey, Mykolenko, Coleman, Patterson, Branthwaite, Nkounkou

Gone after 21/22: Lonergan, Kenny, Delph, Siggy, Tosun, El Ghazi, Tosun
On loan 22/23: Moise Kean

Needs to go: Keane, Holgate, Gomes, Gbamin, Iwobi, Rondon
Need to sign: Starting RB, Starting CB, Starting LB, Starting DCM, Starting #10/playmaker, backup ST, backup W, 2 backup CMs

At least 6 out and 9 in under our financial fair play restrictions. The only glimmer of hope is Thelwell can use his knowledge of MLS to find a bargain or two. There's legitimate talent here now. 

I think the remaining games of this season will tell us what we need before we go out and say we need 9 in. 

We definitely need ;

2 centre backs & 1 DCM. 

IF we can get to safety or play Patterson & Mykolenko more for the rest of season we will know more about their roles next year.  Dele has come in as the #10 you have mentioned.

It’s been a horrible, horrible season but i can’t remember many games we’ve had Gray, Richarlison, DCL & a solid midfield. The defence has been wank all season so if we can sort that properly & get the above fit for large portions of the season the difference will be night & day. 

14 minutes ago, RPG said:

It's a very fair comment. Until we know what division we will be playing in we really can't make a plan. I suspect (hope) that Frank already has at least 2 plans - One if we stay up and one if we go down.

Hopefully, one of them won't be to take the exit door.

I'm resigned to losing both DCL and Richie, though.

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, London Blue said:

We lose so much of the wages book next season, no doubt Mina will go and Gomes and probably sadly Richie, along with Delph, Siggy Cenk etc. 

if we stay up I honestly think Richarlison will stay, unless of course a huge bid comes in for him. All the noises coming from him suggest he loves it here and wouldn’t agitate for a move

Unfortunately we are back to the days where we have to sell off the Crown Jewels to keep afloat but I think it’s more likely we will sell Pickford or DCL and if we can find a buyer for Mina I would happily take that

I cant see Mina and Gomes staying and that is 200K a week between them plus the around 200K from the others, that will really help FFP.

If we lose DCL we are properly fucked as we have to go and buy a striker and given recent history we are not very good at buying strikers who can score goals. 

• 2 months later...

GK: Pickford, Begovic, J Virginia, Crellin

After convincing myself we needed nearly 10 in and 10 out I've softened a bit and think 3 in and 3 out could transform us.

Needs to go: Keane/Holgate/Mina pick one, Gomes, Gbamin
Need to sign: Starting RB, Starting CB, Starting #8

All of this assuming we keep Richarlison and DCL of course. If we can find a #6 and #10 on loan all the better but considering FFP I don't think we're going to pay many transfer fees this summer. 

1 hour ago, StevO said:

The rumours of trying to get Erikson in seemed to disappear pretty fast. Shame because not only is he an excellent footballer, some of his link up play with Dele at Spurs was fantastic. 

Excellent footballer and seems a proper professional as well. Type of player who doesn’t need pace/physical attributes because he is on another level technically.

Erikson was the player we should have taken the risk on over Alli back in January. We missed our opportunity as the club was pretty much in turmoil in that period.  Fair do's to Brentford - they took the risk and it certainly paid off for them. I think if we'd have got him in January, might have been a good chanced we'd have kept hold of him. Cracking player.

• 1 month later...